Intermittent wiper issue

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

rightclickfix

Intermittent wiper issue

Post by rightclickfix »

Last winter Inturned the engine over with a frozen screen and the wiper stalk was left on intermittent. The motor kicked in and the wipers tried to work and apparently the motor made the wipers 'jump over the nut' that holds them and now they begin by moving down, up then stop in the middle of the screen.
Is there a fix without replacing the motor? It's no big deal just embarrassing getting out when rain stops to push them down lol
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Re: Intermittent wiper issue

Post by GingerMagic »

When the wipers are parked ( regardless of how far up the screen they are ) you can unscrew the nut that holds the wipers on.

Then you should be able to manoeuvre the arms enough to lay them back down to their original parked position, by lifting the passenger one away from the screen and pushing downwards takes the pressure off the spring giving you a bit of movement.
The driver's one is harder as it hits the bonnet, so I think you need to raise the bonnet first to give a tiny bit more leverage.

Do not put anything under the wiper arms to prise them away from the spindles as you can crack the windscreen - if you have no joy persuading the arms to go back as they should, you may need to invest in a wiper puller - about £15, to remove and refit correctly.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.