increase in coolant operating temperature after drain, flush, bleed and refill

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

jlmacd
1.8 16v

Re: increase in coolant operating temperature after drain, flush, bleed and refill

Post by jlmacd »

Update. Put a second bottle of SteelSeal in and, touch wood, the low coolant warning light has not come back on. Nor has there been any evidence of coolant escaping from the expansion filler cap.
However, I have noticed in the last week that, worryingly, on a long drive home the temp started to rise (slowly) above the normal, just below 90 position up toward 95-100ish (but not beyond). I fiddled with the heating control and noticed when I turned the temp up (blowing hot air) the engine temp dropped back slowly to normal. When I got back home I also noticed the radiator fan continued to run for a short while (10 mins maybe) after switching off the engine. Never noticed it do this before I don’t think.
Driving next day all was fine but same thing happened again last night, again on return journey from London (about 50 mile trip) Am now worried that it will completely overheat!
Any thought what may be occurring here? The thermostat was new last Dec so be surprised if that’s failed already. Heater responds to high/ low temp settings with hot and cold air.