Re-Programme Key with PP2000

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

cwhaley
1.8 8v

Re-Programme Key with PP2000

Post by cwhaley »

So the 406 has decided it doesn’t want to lock or unlock anymore. The remote central locking has never worked, so I’ve always used the key in the door to operate it. However, the key will no longer turn in the lock, no matter how much grease or lubricant is in there. I found out this is caused by a piece of metal at the end of the barrel which breaks off and jams the mechanism. I acquired a replacement from another 406, but this also broke off when removing… I was so very careful as well!

I was going to replace with another one, but all this time has given me thought… dis-assembling the door seems a bit too invasive for me particularly with the anti-condensation membrane. With that in mind, I’ve decided to fix the remote central locking. The car did come with the key fob, but despite trying the re-syncing method and new batteries it’s never worked. I figured using PP2000 to re-programme the key must be the only option. I have an old Windows XP laptop, plus the software and I’m currently sourcing the interface.

There seems to be a million videos on YouTube on how to do this. Is it fairly straightforward to do? Anybody done it before?
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Re: Re-Programme Key with PP2000

Post by Doggy »

I did it many moons ago and it was fairly painless, the difficulty is in explaining the process as PP2000 has a habit of presenting information and options differently for different but seemingly identical cars.

I managed it without any problems, just by following the on screen prompts but you will definitely need the PIN code issued to the original owner. If you don't have it a dealer can get it for you but will probably charge a fair bit. Failing that try Googling Peugeot or PSA VIN to PIN.
At one time you could get the answer FOC, don't know about today.

You're not programming the key by the way, you're asking the car to learn/re-learn the key(s) code sequence.

In my case, the remore central locking stopped working when I disconnected the battery without letting the various ECU's shutdown properly. Going through the programming sequence in PP2000 sorted it out in a few minutes.

Hope that helps
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Also, if you have any spare keys to the car then you would need to them to hand during the reset procedure.

As Doggy says, it's a straightforward process - you just need the 4 digit PIN to access the menu in PP2000
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
cwhaley
1.8 8v

Post by cwhaley »

Thanks both that’s re-assuring to hear – I really don’t fancy stripping the door down to get to the barrel! Yes the first job I ever did on the car was change the battery, and I remember reading a post on here (before I was a member) which explained the correct procedure before and after removing the battery. I wasn’t aware of it at all and only found it by chance, so I’ve always done it. I reckon a past garage removed the battery without following this and it’s knocked the keys out.

The 4 digit pin… is this the found on one of the stickers near the driver’s door? I’ve read something about it being within a larger number. If not, I do have full service history and some of the handbooks so these may save me from being robbed.

Yes sorry, by re-programming I meant re-programming the car to the key. I have the spare key (which I’ve had to use as the primary key) plus this separate remote fob so will have both with me before I start.

Just glad to hear it’s fairly straightforward. I have used software before (ForScan with the Focus I think it was called), so hopefully this gives me a headstart… I’ll let you know how I get on once I’ve ordered the interface.
Doggy

Post by Doggy »

The 4-digit PIN was issued to the first owner on a credit card sized plastic card along with the handbook, service book etc.
It isn't anywhere on the car. As I said, dealer or try a Google search for Peugeot (or PSA) VIN to PIN
cwhaley
1.8 8v

Post by cwhaley »

Doggy wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:22 am The 4-digit PIN was issued to the first owner on a credit card sized plastic card along with the handbook, service book etc.
It isn't anywhere on the car. As I said, dealer or try a Google search for Peugeot (or PSA) VIN to PIN
Thanks, Doggy. I know the card you mean – think I have seen it tucked into a sleeve in the handbook wallet. Will get the interface and fire the old Sony Vaio up!

I only mentioned the sticker on the door pillar as a few other posts reference this as a place where the code is.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

The sticker on the door is also needed as there will be a DAM number ( will start with 09*** but you only input the last 4 digits eg 9123 )

It takes a while to set up the interface, it doesn't always work first time so don't worry if it fails at first.
There is also a walkthrough guide on YouTube if you need points of reference.
cwhaley
1.8 8v

Post by cwhaley »

GingerMagic wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:54 pm The sticker on the door is also needed as there will be a DAM number ( will start with 09*** but you only input the last 4 digits eg 9123 )

It takes a while to set up the interface, it doesn't always work first time so don't worry if it fails at first.
There is also a walkthrough guide on YouTube if you need points of reference.
Ah that makes sense. Somebody had referred to it as a PIN in one post but apparently mixed them up. I’ll have this ready with the keys before I start.

From the videos I have seen on YouTube the whole software does look a bit Amstrad! I’ll have a go working through it… might look a bit like I’m wi-fi sniffing to a passer-by.

Thanks again – really useful for a newbie to it.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

It's cool - we were all Newbies once :cheesy:
cwhaley
1.8 8v

Post by cwhaley »

Right, I have the Lexia interface, the software, the build number and the laptop. However I’m aware I’m still missing the security code. I do not have the key code card (never came with the car sadly…), so before I go to a dealer can anybody confirm if this sticker contains the four digit code?

It was tucked away in the car’s handbook so presumably kept as important. It reads A9M1.
Attachments
5C23EC25-EBDF-4969-958D-C333BDFF96B6.jpeg
Sticker
(1.98 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Doggy

Post by Doggy »

It's not the usual card, which is a plastic credit card sized affair with Peogeot Logo, but you might as well try it.
It'll just tell you it's the wrong code in all likelyhood, but you never know.....
cwhaley
1.8 8v

Post by cwhaley »

Not had chance to try it yet, but not holding out hope. The nearest Peugeot dealer was perplexed at my request -- took a good while for them (and four different people) to understand it was the four-digit security code and not the radio pin I needed. They're asking £20 which isn't too bad; don't think they were sure what to charge but just asked that I bring all the relevant docs.
Doggy

Post by Doggy »

£20 from aPeugeot dealer sounds as near to reasonable as you're likely to get.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Agreed, you'll need it again in the future and at least it's from a trustworthy source. :cheesy:
cwhaley
1.8 8v

Post by cwhaley »

Well, I tried for four hours today to get Diagbox working. Nothing I could do would get the program working -- furthest I got was about halfway through the updates before the next error surfaced. Could not get past a seemingly endless list of errors despite following the instructions to a tee (and I write code as part of my job). It really was stacking up against me today.

Returning it and just going to put up with not having a car I can lock :( nothing ever gets left in the car, so if I leave the parcel shelf tray off, any passing scum can see the car is empty.

Thanks for the replies they are appreciated. I might see how much the dealership would charge to re-programme the keys for me.