Car Struggling to go over 20 MPH

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

tonyredz
1.8 8v

Car Struggling to go over 20 MPH

Post by tonyredz »

Hello,

I have a 2003 Hdi 90. A couple of issues with it currently:

1. I noticed recently it was sluggish when accelerating. It has become very bad, took the car out yesterday and it really struggled to do anything over 20 Mph with pedal flat to the floor. Car was warmed up to running temperature, no warning lights came on. Eventually got it to go to 30 mph. Tried again today, struggled to go past 30 mph. Can anyone offer any advice / suggestions?
The car was giving some starting issues last year, had a mechanic look at it and he fitted a non-return valve just in front of the fuel priming bulb. Car was running fine afterwards. So, don't know if that has anything to do with current acceleration problem.

2. The clutch pedal has also recently developed a vibration in it. This is noticeable when just driving along, as I put my foot on the clutch just before changing gear I can feel a vibration, there is no vibration while the clutch is being depressed whilst changing gear. I had the clutch replaced about three years ago. The car is currently on 141 k miles. Not sure if this is anything to be concerned about at present, does anyone know if this indicates problems with the clutch or flywheel?
Thanks in advance for any advice / suggestions etc. Cheers.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Re: Car Struggling to go over 20 MPH

Post by GingerMagic »

Hi.

I would firstly suggest the most overlooked issue, and that is slack in your throttle cable.
If you have slack then no matter how hard you press the accelerator pedal it won't actually reach as all you are doing is taking up the slack.

Also, the Hdi90 has a solid flywheel which is good as less to go wrong - not sure about your vibration issue though.

Anyway, in the meantime I would look at the throttle cable and change the air and fuel filters if you haven't done so for a while.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Have a look through this thread - there are some pearls of wisdom along with some pictures for reference :cheesy:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=25075&p=250968&hil ... le#p250968
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
tonyredz
1.8 8v

Post by tonyredz »

As always GingerMagic, Thankyou Sir, much appreciated.
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

Pedal vibration sounds like the clutch thrust bearing, unless you are up to taking the gearbox out I would just ignore it. Probably will fail eventually but that could be some time - or not

Peter