My First T25 Hybrid Turbo Complete

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

andersb

Re: Miltek Sports Cat

Post by andersb »

niz406 wrote:
andersb wrote:Niz... The Miltek Sports Cat, is it 200 or 400cell? Is it only the cat, or whit the pipe into the manifold?

Thx
Its the cat on its own no pipework and I believe its a 200 cell as they don't make a 400... 400 - 600 I believe is a conventional cat and this is why they are so restrictive.
Ok cool, how big is the pipe?? 2,5" like the original?

Do this cat really make that much differents in power?? Right now I have free flow remus backbox, 3" pipe and 400 cell "race cat" But cant really feel that much different to the original system. But can 400 to 200 cell do it?
niz406
Admin <BR>Turbo God

Post by niz406 »

They cause too much back pressure and the effect on a turbo's efficency is detrimental... when your system truely is free flowing the turbo responds so much better... I have a powerflow full stainless front to back with a centre box and rear silencer and the turbo reacts so well to this enviroment.

Guys,

On another note here is a picture of my dead turbo against my new hybrid..... just look at the comp wheel difference :D

Oh yeah, this is going to rock ! ! !

Niz406
--------
"Some Say he can fart fire, whilst others say he can urinate rocket fuel.... all we know is he's called... The Niz"
Foghorn Leghorn
2.0 Turbo

Post by Foghorn Leghorn »

Err....why is it not fitted to the car :frown:

I was expecting a full test report by now :wink:

Been grovelling unde my car today, my turbo's a KKK. Where did you manage to get your service kit from?

Fog
niz406
Admin <BR>Turbo God

Post by niz406 »

Foghorn Leghorn wrote:Err....why is it not fitted to the car :frown:

I was expecting a full test report by now :wink:

Been grovelling unde my car today, my turbo's a KKK. Where did you manage to get your service kit from?

Fog
It is fitted to the car.... well its bolted to the manifold at least anyway, just got the rest of it to put back together, but I couldn't miss the oportunity to take a snap, side by side, to really appreciate the extra large compressor wheel ! ! 8)

Your turbo is a part of the Klu-kluts Klan ???? :shock: Well I got my service kit from Conceptua Performance Tuning off eBay, but as yours is a KKK you might want to try Melett Here
Niz406
--------
"Some Say he can fart fire, whilst others say he can urinate rocket fuel.... all we know is he's called... The Niz"
Foghorn Leghorn
2.0 Turbo

niz406 wrote:Your turbo is a part of the Klu-kluts Klan ???? :shock: Well I got my service kit from Conceptua Performance Tuning off eBay, but as yours is a KKK you might want to try Melett Here
The white PJs are optional :cheesy:

Sir, you are a star, might see if I can pick up a spare turbo off eBay and have a fiddle.

Fog
andersb

Post by andersb »

niz406 wrote:They cause too much back pressure and the effect on a turbo's efficency is detrimental... when your system truely is free flowing the turbo responds so much better... I have a powerflow full stainless front to back with a centre box and rear silencer and the turbo reacts so well to this enviroment.

Guys,

On another note here is a picture of my dead turbo against my new hybrid..... just look at the comp wheel difference :D

Ok thx..

YEAH!! It looks great :D Cant wait to hear how much power you will get!

How much money has this Hybrid Turbo conversion cost you?

Do you think the original turbomanifold can handle theese 250hp?

Thx
niz406
Admin <BR>Turbo God

Post by niz406 »

andersb wrote:
niz406 wrote:They cause too much back pressure and the effect on a turbo's efficency is detrimental... when your system truely is free flowing the turbo responds so much better... I have a powerflow full stainless front to back with a centre box and rear silencer and the turbo reacts so well to this enviroment.

Guys,

Ok thx..

YEAH!! It looks great :D Cant wait to hear how much power you will get!

How much money has this Hybrid Turbo conversion cost you?

Do you think the original turbomanifold can handle theese 250hp?

Thx
Ecosse, do a 225hp set up on this engine with a standard manifold.... for 250hp you will want a ported manifold, which is what I have the hybrid connected on, because the manifold is also quite poor in design.... :D

The hybrid cost me....
  • £46 Comp Wheel
    £30 360 degree Thrust Kit
    £64 Garrett Official service kit
    £12.50 Stagger gap piston seal - a must :D
    £100 Machining + Jig manufacture
    £40 Balancing
Total = £228.50
Turbo Technics Wanted: £650 + Vat

So as you can see I saved a bundle ! ! ! :D

The spare turbo I brought with an engine, but the turbo's oil seals had gone, a turbo like this can be picked up for like £50 - £100 or so.. a worthwhile investment I would say.

It's now on the car and I've been in out all night running it in.... :D I have to say the difference this turbo has made is amazing.... real street sleeper now :D
Niz406
--------
niz406
Admin <BR>Turbo God

Post by niz406 »

Foghorn Leghorn wrote:
niz406 wrote:Your turbo is a part of the Klu-kluts Klan ???? :shock: Well I got my service kit from Conceptua Performance Tuning off eBay, but as yours is a KKK you might want to try Melett Here
The white PJs are optional :cheesy:

Sir, you are a star, might see if I can pick up a spare turbo off eBay and have a fiddle.

Fog
Go on do it.... yhou know you want to ! ! ! Oh and my KB article is not far off now, is already pages long lol Well you have to include everything now don't you ! !
Niz406
--------
Foghorn Leghorn
2.0 Turbo

:cheesy:

Is the KKK off the 90 the same as the 110? can't find any for 110 as yet, will keep looking.

Fog
pugsport
2.0 16v

Post by pugsport »

OK I have read through this thread, do you really think your gonna safely get 250bhp? I know 2 guys who upped the boost+had the ecu chipped and initially put out 200bhp easily+safely, one of these guys had the boost turned up more pushing out 220bhp, but did not head the advice that he would need to have forged pistons, this ended in tears. if you think your gonna put out 250bhp you need forged pistons and bigger injectors, are you replaceing the manifold? the original is too restictive, ditch the cat and add a de-cat pipe, you can do a change over for the mot. I have read alot of sorry tales regarding modifying this engine, it wasnt designed to be "fast" but for shear pulling power. Oh, are you getting the brakes upgraded? it will be a must!
MODIFIED 1997 406 SRI; FULL ECOSSE TOURING BODY KIT;CUSTOM EXHAUST;
17"FOX ALLOYS;DUMP VALVE;
INDUCTION KIT;LOWERED 40MM.
LEXUS STYLE REAR LIGHTS;
DTM STYLE MIRRORS
niz406
Admin <BR>Turbo God

Post by niz406 »

pugsport wrote:OK I have read through this thread, do you really think your gonna safely get 250bhp? I know 2 guys who upped the boost+had the ecu chipped and initially put out 200bhp easily+safely, one of these guys had the boost turned up more pushing out 220bhp, but did not head the advice that he would need to have forged pistons, this ended in tears. if you think your gonna put out 250bhp you need forged pistons and bigger injectors, are you replaceing the manifold? the original is too restictive, ditch the cat and add a de-cat pipe, you can do a change over for the mot. I have read alot of sorry tales regarding modifying this engine, it wasnt designed to be "fast" but for shear pulling power. Oh, are you getting the brakes upgraded? it will be a must!
Hummmm..... :D

Hi Chap,

Right what I have thus far...... T25 Hybrid, Ported Manifold, new cylinder head, Full stainless with Decat, Turbo Smart FCD, APexi Turbo Timer, boost set @ 12p.s.i max.. next on the list is a FMIC and Larger Injectors, bigger fuel pump and piggy back ECU...

The reason that the pistons die, isn't because they cannot take the boost increase, its because the charge temps are tooo high! The stock IC is not efficient enough for applications above 210hp, the tube and fin design is good, they are just too small and the plastic end caps do not do any favours, with the stock cooler removed and an FMIC introduced you then have the available real estate to mount a larger capacity alloy rad which will help with the extra cooling.

What you have to remember is that as a rule of thumb any engine can take a 50% increase in power, the problem comes from poor thermal dynamics.. e.g. charge temps, cooling system and exhaust system... you address these properly and you will be surprised how much this block on stock internals can take.

Pieter @ DP Engineering in the netherlands has been involved in modifying PSA engines for a long time, and one of his systems which include the following:

GT2860RS BAll bearing Turbo Charger
Love v2 Exhaust manifold
3 bar map sensor
330cc Injectors
FMIC
With a remap

Produced 270hp on stock internals, he even knows of a 300hp XU10J2TE on stock internals... there was a guy on the 205oc that had a stock block and pushed 300hp from it, does anyone remember the post? :D

Ecosse IMHO do one thing well, and thats over charge people.... £1800 to supply and fit forged pistons WTF if you look around that is like 4 more SRi/Executive turbo's ! ! 8)

I honestly believe that with the right set up this car will run 250 reliably... very, very easily!

My last Turbo maxed out @ 28 p.s.i before the oil seals gave way.... the pistons are fine... no problems.... now that's 28 p.s.i on stock everything, cooling and charge cooling and fuelling.... so I think they can safely take 1 bar with the extra cooling and fuel to produce 250hp.
Niz406
--------
andersb

Post by andersb »

niz406 wrote:
pugsport wrote:OK I have read through this thread, do you really think your gonna safely get 250bhp? I know 2 guys who upped the boost+had the ecu chipped and initially put out 200bhp easily+safely, one of these guys had the boost turned up more pushing out 220bhp, but did not head the advice that he would need to have forged pistons, this ended in tears. if you think your gonna put out 250bhp you need forged pistons and bigger injectors, are you replaceing the manifold? the original is too restictive, ditch the cat and add a de-cat pipe, you can do a change over for the mot. I have read alot of sorry tales regarding modifying this engine, it wasnt designed to be "fast" but for shear pulling power. Oh, are you getting the brakes upgraded? it will be a must!
Hummmm..... :D

Hi Chap,

Right what I have thus far...... T25 Hybrid, Ported Manifold, new cylinder head, Full stainless with Decat, Turbo Smart FCD, APexi Turbo Timer, boost set @ 12p.s.i max.. next on the list is a FMIC and Larger Injectors, bigger fuel pump and piggy back ECU...

The reason that the pistons die, isn't because they cannot take the boost increase, its because the charge temps are tooo high! The stock IC is not efficient enough for applications above 210hp, the tube and fin design is good, they are just too small and the plastic end caps do not do any favours, with the stock cooler removed and an FMIC introduced you then have the available real estate to mount a larger capacity alloy rad which will help with the extra cooling.

What you have to remember is that as a rule of thumb any engine can take a 50% increase in power, the problem comes from poor thermal dynamics.. e.g. charge temps, cooling system and exhaust system... you address these properly and you will be surprised how much this block on stock internals can take.

Pieter @ DP Engineering in the netherlands has been involved in modifying PSA engines for a long time, and one of his systems which include the following:

Love v2 Exhaust manifold
3 bar map sensor
330cc Injectors
FMIC
With a remap

Produced 270hp on stock internals, he even knows of a 300hp XU10J2TE on stock internals... there was a guy on the 205oc that had a stock block and pushed 300hp from it, does anyone remember the post? :D

Ecosse IMHO do one thing well, and thats over charge people.... £1800 to supply and fit forged pistons WTF if you look around that is like 4 more SRi/Executive turbo's ! ! 8)

I honestly believe that with the right set up this car will run 250 reliably... very, very easily!

My last Turbo maxed out @ 28 p.s.i before the oil seals gave way.... the pistons are fine... no problems.... now that's 28 p.s.i on stock everything, cooling and charge cooling and fuelling.... so I think they can safely take 1 bar with the extra cooling and fuel to produce 250hp.
Cool, I love dp!

Im also going to get :
Love v2 Exhaust manifold

When they are compleetly finnished with the manifold! I allready have full 3" exhaust with 400cell 300hk cat, 8,2L intercooler, 335cc injectors, 3bars map, turbosmart boostcontroller!

That decat you have.. Cant get it to citroen xantia.. Asked them few days ago :(

Do you think bigger fuelpump is needed? or one more pump?
jameslxdt
3.0 24v

Post by jameslxdt »

niz do you think this would be possible on a T2 turbo from a 1.9 DT? :lol:
Peugeot wrote:what are you worried about? we made car that lasted 10 years"..."Zat is very goode non? :|
FAQ - 406 D8 petrol (excl. V6) running and starting problems
niz406
Admin <BR>Turbo God

Post by niz406 »

jameslxdt wrote:niz do you think this would be possible on a T2 turbo from a 1.9 DT? :lol:
If this is to go on a diesel then NO, but if it's to be used on a petrol then yes.... but you have to remember that your T2 is not water cooled ! :D
Niz406
--------