fuel filter

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

pondweed
1.8 16v

fuel filter

Post by pondweed »

still no haynes in post this morning! Do I need to worry about air locks when I put the new fuel filter in? (Bosch/HDi) I presume I just drain a little fuel off with the drain cock before I crank it open with a 19mm spanner and drop the new one in.. but how do I purge?
'99 hdi estate 90
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Re: fuel filter

Post by Welly »

pondweed wrote: Do I need to worry about air locks when I put the new fuel filter in?
No. Self-priming
pondweed wrote:I presume I just drain a little fuel off with the drain cock
Yup.
pondweed wrote:crank it open with a 19mm spanner and drop the new one in
Ooo...good luck with that one :cry: (best to go get a new housing first)
pondweed wrote:but how do I purge?
Self priming 8) just flip the key to ignition a few times until it stops gurgling and you hear a nice steady prime up from the in-tank pump. Don't crank the engine with an empty fuel bowl as it will damage the HP pump.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
pondweed
1.8 16v

Post by pondweed »

are you serious about changing the housing too?
should I do that too even if it doesnt break?!
presumably all the fuel pipe fittings are just pull back/click on
'99 hdi estate 90
Welly

Post by Welly »

If you can do it without breaking then cool - don't replace it!

Most people break the housing trying to murder the stupid thing in a vice. The general opinion is to do yourself a huge favour and change the housing and filter. The housing is about £15.00 (I think). Make sure they go off your Chassis number because there are different ones if I remember.

The fuel fittings are press fit, you push something on the fitting to release it whilst applying some inward pressure to release the friction (although I've never tried this) :oops: :roll: You might want some rags etc to soak up any spills near the alternator and compressor.
Cars in my care:
mbell666
3.0 24v

Post by mbell666 »

The housings are quite expensive around £40-50 inc fitted new filter (for my 110 anyway).

I've changed the just the filter before and it isn't easy to remove and especially re-fit the lid. It required quite a lot of force, the filter housing is only secured by a plastic clip.

Last time i just got a new housing, because i didn't want to mess around with it again. I hoping next time i will be able to fit a new fitter to the old housing, then just swap housings.

If you do open the housing keep a eye open for metal shavings in the bottom as this will indicate your low pressure pump is duff.
1997 Honda Prelude 2.2 VTi
Previously - 1999 406 Executive HDI
pondweed
1.8 16v

Post by pondweed »

lid was no more difficult than a "hard" jar of jam... hoorah. (not that I use a socket set on jam tops, though... but that sort of feel)
doesnt seem to leak afterwards either. thanks all
'99 hdi estate 90
Welly

Post by Welly »

pondweed wrote:lid was no more difficult than a "hard" jar of jam... hoorah. thanks all
pondweed:

Me, and the others on here:

:cry:
Cars in my care:
missmouse
1.6 8v

Post by missmouse »

whats all this about a vice & the filter being a pain to change?
just stick a spanner on the hex at the top, turn a few degrees & hey presto! its off. Stick a new filter in, replace lid, pipes & off you go! :lol:
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Words of warning: HDI 110, it's the knurled ring you turn auntyclockwise, as viewed from above, if you try to turn the top you will need a new housing as it's slotted into the bottom half and you will mangle it. Use an oil filter strap wrench, it's very tight!

I did mine the first time a few weeks back, I wasn't sure what to do, does the top unscrew or what? I'd left my trusty Haynes Book of Lies round my girlfriends so I had to guess. I guessed right as it turns out. Haynes just says unscrew, so I'm glad I didn't have it.

As it says on page 4: "No liability can be accepted..." etc etc.
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

Talking of fuel filters, how's the petrol one supposed to be held in? Mine's just in with a couple of zip ties...

Also next time, I *WILL* remember to get hold of some little clamps for the fuel hoses before I drown myself in half gallon of unleaded.

Has anyone got any hints for removing the petrol filter's connectors? You've got to press in a pair of 'buttons' either side of the connector but they're flush with the damn thing so it's a 30 minute job if you've got big (usually freezing cold) fingers...
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang