Almost Crashed!!! Because misunderstood E-Brake Indicator

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

k3nny
2.0 16v

Almost Crashed!!! Because misunderstood E-Brake Indicator

Post by k3nny »

@*%!&^$#&*^($(*^@%$ *swearing in an encrypted script*.

I almost crashed today, about to hit the freeway wall last night because i 'failed' to brake!! here's the story, 2 days ago i went to the office in the morning and saw the parking brake indicator (!) was on even though i've let off the hand-brake. but after a while it started to blink on and off. so i thought its a faulty indicator or sensor. :cheesy:

i don't really put any real attention to it because it still braking as usual, i called my fellow mechanic and he reckon it could be a faulty sensor (if it was turning on and off). last night, i was rushing home. i'm familiar with the road, there's a small turn that i need to reduce my speed because it's a pretty tight turn. i was shocked when i hit the brake it just goes down all the way to the floor with very little effect on reducing the car's speed.!!!! :shock:

i panic for a while until i try to lower the gears using the engine brake to slow down the car. until it finnaly stopped.

i assume it wont be a mechanical failure because i just checked with peugeot a few days before and they said my pad and disk are OK.
so i assume it has something to do with the pressure, after popping the hood something drew my attention to the brake fluid level and it was empty!!! :shock: :shock:

i called peugeot and they said the indicator for low brake fluid is the same one as the hand-brake indicator !!! WHY?!! OH WHY?!!!!! can't they make another dedicated indicator for low brake fluid? :x

i hope none of you guys will ever to experience this. by the way, it was caused because a leaking hose on the left front brake caliper.

crap .....
Cars, Computers, Chicks, 3C for a complete life. add a number 6 between them then you get double pleasure. hahaha!

Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

What you need to do is top up your brake fluid with PAS fluid oh wait...

Why's the fluid low anyway?

:wink:
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
TooT
3.0 24v

Post by TooT »

Well you learn something new every day.

Brown pants? :lol:
2006 207 GT THP 150
missmouse
1.6 8v

Post by missmouse »

yeh, you still would have had some brakes tho 'cos the car has a split system
k3nny
2.0 16v

Post by k3nny »

TooT wrote:Well you learn something new every day.

Brown pants? :lol:
I believe it is the first thing i checked after the near miss, :cheesy: .... no evidence was found at the scene. :P
Cars, Computers, Chicks, 3C for a complete life. add a number 6 between them then you get double pleasure. hahaha!

steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Why doesn't it bring up the STOP light on the dash? Daft.

I had a Hillman Avenger where the PDWA (operates a plunger and a switch if there's differential pressure in the two halves of the split system) turned on the interior light. I take it there's no such device in the Pug, fantastic.
mjb
Site Admin

Re: Almost Crashed!!! Because misunderstood E-Brake Indicato

Post by mjb »

k3nny wrote:i called peugeot and they said the indicator for low brake fluid is the same one as the hand-brake indicator !!!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

WTF?????

Thank you so much for pointing that out! I'm glad you managed to keep the car on the road too... In those situations don't forget you can also use the handbrake(*) - keep the button held in so you don't lock it on - but remember ABS doesn't apply to it so don't do it going round a bend!

* brits call it a handbrake, why does everyone else call it an emergency brake when in most situations it's the last thing you'd want to yank on in an emergency?
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
k3nny
2.0 16v

Post by k3nny »

steve_earwig wrote:Why doesn't it bring up the STOP light on the dash? Daft.
the STOP light was on in another case, a few weeks back one of my cooling fan wasn't turning causing engine overheat. at first i didn't know what's going on because it just giving me a STOP light. so i reckon i follow the 'suggestion' to STOP.

when the A/C started to cut off, i just realize that my engine is overheating. i know, kinda slow analysis but at least i did identify it.

k3nny
2.0 16v

Post by k3nny »

mjb wrote:
k3nny wrote:i called peugeot and they said the indicator for low brake fluid is the same one as the hand-brake indicator !!!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

WTF?????

Thank you so much for pointing that out! I'm glad you managed to keep the car on the road too... In those situations don't forget you can also use the handbrake(*) - keep the button held in so you don't lock it on - but remember ABS doesn't apply to it so don't do it going round a bend!

* brits call it a handbrake, why does everyone else call it an emergency brake when in most situations it's the last thing you'd want to yank on in an emergency?
I talked to one of my fellow mechanic, while we discuss about the fluid level .... somehow it is also explains that when the (!) handbrake indicator was on even though the handle is down, it could also means that we should put attention to the braking system.

because you wouldnt 'felt' like something is wrong with your brake until all the fluid is gone. :P

btw, i think around the world people called it emergency brake, handbrake and parking brake.

steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

k3nny wrote:the STOP light was on in another case, a few weeks back one of my cooling fan wasn't turning causing engine overheat. at first i didn't know what's going on because it just giving me a STOP light. so i reckon i follow the 'suggestion' to STOP.
I had the STOP light come up last summer, I coiuldn't see anything obviously wrong and, fearing impending catastrofy, it went to the nearest garage who couldn't find anything wrong either. Back at home I found one fan had packed up and the crimp clip on the power steering reservoir had gone loose and all the oil had gone for a walk.
k3nny
2.0 16v

Post by k3nny »

fudge!! .... :shock:

darrenwall
2.0 Turbo

Post by darrenwall »

mjb wrote: In those situations don't forget you can also use the handbrake(*)
i thought the handbrake on the 406 for just for show :cheesy: they barely hold when parked on the flat never mind trying to stop the car from speed :shock: youd be better off holding an umbrella out the window to act as a parachute :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:
STALLED
The moderator down under

Post by STALLED »

darrenwall wrote:
mjb wrote: In those situations don't forget you can also use the handbrake(*)
i thought the handbrake on the 406 for just for show :cheesy: they barely hold when parked on the flat never mind trying to stop the car from speed :shock: youd be better off holding an umbrella out the window to act as a parachute :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:
+1

The handbrake in the 406 is shite and I would never rely on it to bring you to a quick stop! Cheers for the heads up on that Kenny - Now I'll remember about the "brake" warning light :)
1997 406 D8 ST Manual 2.0L!