diesel....?? whats the prob??

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

nipper76
2.0 16v

diesel....?? whats the prob??

Post by nipper76 »

just had a random look under the bonnet, and saw this...

its the patch of moist you can see in between the two pipes, stuck ma finger init and smells like diesel. which would fit because i keep thinking i can smell diesel in the car.

and it kinda looks like it might be coming from whatever this is...

but not sure??

and is located under the 12v blck plastic bit here.

any ideas?? thanks peeps
If Itz Got TiTz or Tyres, Itz a Pain in The Arse
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

The pic in the middle very much looks like an injector. It looks like it's damp too, whip the inlet off and check the union on the top to see if it's wet and maybe tweek it up a little, though not too much of course.
jameslxdt
3.0 24v

Post by jameslxdt »

make sure the unions are tight, but dont tighten them unless they are loose, check the rubber or plastic spill return pipes that goes between each injector as they are prone to leaks, though it could be a failed injector washer, which could explain the noise you are getting
Peugeot wrote:what are you worried about? we made car that lasted 10 years"..."Zat is very goode non? :|
FAQ - 406 D8 petrol (excl. V6) running and starting problems
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

I was a bit worried about suggesting to tighten the union but think brake line: you certainly wouldn't go ape on one. Haynes Book of Lies says 15 lbf ft, which is slightly more than finger tight. If it's definitely the union but it's tight I'd still say give it a light tweek though, if it doesn't help then it's probably fooked anyway and it's off to Pug's spares department. Of course, overtightening it you run the risk of making it worse and the car undrivable but that'll happen in the long term anyway.

I'd have expected more of a dribble than a spray with the returns but the D8 was my first diesel so I plead ignorance.
nipper76
2.0 16v

Post by nipper76 »

will check in the morning, cheerz peeps

so if the big things are the injectors, what is the lil silver things below??

oh and i did start the engine and gave it a few revs whilst looking in the area and couldnt see anything, so i guess its slowly seeping out.

what are the UNIONS??

are the injectors easy to whip out and change?? anyone done them befor??

cheerz peeps
jameslxdt
3.0 24v

Post by jameslxdt »

the injectors can be seized in if they have seen some mileage, you need special sockets also, ive got special ones i bought from Snap on, which cost me £90 but you will only need some basic draper or equivalent ones

have a look at these pics:

:cheesy:
Peugeot wrote:what are you worried about? we made car that lasted 10 years"..."Zat is very goode non? :|
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Best have a look at those unions first I reckon, and send us a pic or two of course.
nipper76
2.0 16v

Post by nipper76 »

niceone jameslxdt

that helps a sh*t load :cheesy:

just before i go and ruin something, to check these unions, do i have to remove the inlet manifold which as you have pointed out, is the bit thats got the 12v written on it. correct?

if i do have to remove it i also guess im going to need a gasket ???

if i have to do all this, is their anything i should be cautious about when removing the black bit? i.e. am i going to have anything spring out at me that im bound to loose? etc

many thanks you bloody helpfull bunch. much appreciated :cheesy:
:cheesy: :cheesy:
nipper76
2.0 16v

Post by nipper76 »

oh and sorry to sound dumb, but just down from the injectors, are some lill silver thingys, kinda look like sparks, but obviousy aint, what are they?? i really should by myself a haynes lol

many thanks everyone
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Yep, take the bit off with 12 V written on it, looks like it's been off before 'cos it's got a worm drive clip on it. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is not to drop this down the back of the engine :D It's a tad fiddly. I seem to remember the thing's all held on with a couple of 10mm bolts (James?) and take the pipe off the front of course. You won't need a gasket but the little rubber collars at the back might look a bit grim, I packed mine out with insulating (electrician's) tape.

By all means buy a Haynes, I never feel like I know what I'm doing without one, even if I don't need to open it. I also seem to remember hearing they're approaching bankrupcy and probably need all the help they can get. A world without Haynes would be a sadder place!

Oh yes, the spark plug looking things are probably the glow plugs.
jameslxdt
3.0 24v

Post by jameslxdt »

yep the should be 10 mm, just make sure you dont drop them into the lower part of the inlet manifold :shock:

there is no gasket as such just 4 rubber o rings, i would just seal them in with some liquid gasket, unless of course one of them is torn then you may as well change all 4, i think they are about 80p each
nipper76
2.0 16v

Post by nipper76 »

ok, so no gasket as such, but their is Orings, right? these i guess are on the 4 tubes that go down the back of the engine. i will defently be changing these as they are seeping oil :frown:

other than that theirs nothing else to worry bout right??

just had anouther quick look, defenly looks as if its comming the orange ring area, but not above it really.

will get onto that tomoz as im doing mechanics at college, so ill try and do it in their time lol.

do you thing it sounds like a injector change??

is that a big deal, other than the dodgey socket.

what damage could this cause if left for too long?? just that every bill seems to be arriving at once, as normall lol :evil:

many thanks for all you help
jameslxdt
3.0 24v

Post by jameslxdt »

no damage will be done, just mpg and power will be down slightly, and there will be a nasty smell of diesel, as well as the socket you will need a crow foot adapter and torque wrench, when you check the tightness of the union, make sure the engine is switched off :lol:
nipper76
2.0 16v

Post by nipper76 »

trust that, i get to college, and they havent got the special socket :?

peugeot dont know what injctors i need, and apparently you cant buy them whole ??

so the recomended me to go to LSUK and they need me to get the injector out to find out the code on it.
or alternitivley they can refurbish it. but still gotta get it out lol :evil:

typical!

bloody isle of wight for ya, on the other hand, just had a interview with our local honda / mazda dealer for and apprentership :cheesy: just got to wait and see now :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:
jameslxdt
3.0 24v

Post by jameslxdt »

its unlikely pug will know what injectors you will need, there are various injectors with different break pressures, you really need to go to a motor factors and have a look in there bosch diesel injector nozzle book, if you take the top manifold cover off you will easily see what no. is on them, good luck with the apprentiship 8)