Gearbox filler position

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

locoboy
1.8 16v

Gearbox filler position

Post by locoboy »

Hi guys,

I have a 1998 R plate 2.1td and im not sure where the drain plug for the gearbox is and similarly where the filler hole is.

Can anyone help out?

Also what gearbox oil would you recommend?

Many thanks
Locoboy
locoboy
1.8 16v

Re: Gearbox filler position

Post by locoboy »

BTTT
Can no one help with this?

Cheers
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

BTTT?

I thought this one did get a reply, sorry. I'm away from my Haynes but I'll look it up tomorrow if no-one else comes up with info.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
locoboy
1.8 16v

Post by locoboy »

Thanks Steve, :cheesy:
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Home at last.

Right, 2.1 gearbox is ML5T. The filler/level plug is on the rear face of the differential housing. Looks like the drain plug is on the final drive casing at the back of the box (final drive casing ≠ differential housing? Haynes strikes again). Looking at the book for the later cars, the drain should be a fairly obviuous square section screw. Oil is SAE 75W80.

I'm not really sure about all this because I had the mechanic change my greabox oil last year when he replaced the clutch (at 201,000km :roll: )

charliedog
1.8 8v

Re: Gearbox filler position 406hdi 2003 110bhp

Post by charliedog »

can anyone help me please. Have just changed driveshaft and lost a bit of gear oil. Have purchased replacement oil but cannot find the gearbox filler/level plug. Even Peugeot parts department cannot advise. At the end of my tether. Any pictures, photographs or videos would be helpful.
charliedog
1.8 8v

Re: Gearbox filler position 406hdi 2003 110bhp

Post by charliedog »

can anyone help me please. Have just changed driveshaft and lost a bit of gear oil. Have purchased replacement oil but cannot find the gearbox filler/level plug. Even Peugeot parts department cannot advise. At the end of my tether. Any pictures, photographs or videos would be helpful.
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Use the breather on top the gearbox, mine had rather a large one so I presume we're meant to use it. You'll need to remove the air box to see it as it's on top of the gearbox. Failing that use the reversing light switch (also on top of the 'box).

They don't seem to have added the luxury of a level plug on these so you'll need to drain it and add 1.8 litres of finest 75w80 (and don't let the factors tell you otherwise)

charliedog
1.8 8v

Post by charliedog »

Thank Steve,

I thought it was me not being able to find it, will have a look at the Haynes manual again to look for the breather, any photographs videos would be appreciated if you have.

See how I get on tomorrow

:D
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

I don't think it's in Haynes as that only covers up to 2002. The breather is on the top of the gearbox towards the front, it's black and I seem to recall it has a lid you pull off. If it's not there (or you're not sure) use the reversing light switch hole, it's on the top towards the mounting (18mm I think).

I can't find a picture that shows it clearly but there's not much else there you could mistake it for.