How can i make my HDI 110 more economical

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

adam03031980
2.0 Turbo

How can i make my HDI 110 more economical

Post by adam03031980 »

Is there anyway i can get more economy out of my HDI without killing it the is LPG for petrol but would like to look at different ways i do a lot of mileage in my car about 60 miles a day. Especially with the rising fuel prices.
mbell666
3.0 24v

Re: How can i make my HDI 110 more economical

Post by mbell666 »

Use your right foot less!

Make sure that it is serviced regularly and correctly (e.g. right oil), keep the tyre pressures up and correct. Decent tyres......

What kind of mpg are you getting and what kind of driving (motorway, a road, town)?
1997 Honda Prelude 2.2 VTi
Previously - 1999 406 Executive HDI
adam03031980
2.0 Turbo

Post by adam03031980 »

Welll its very good actually i filled my tank up once to the brim and got 750 miles out of it and still had near quarter of a tank and it is service regualry just there is lpg for petrols and wondered if there was anything available for diesels i reckon i muct get 55-60 or more mpg it uses very little and i average 60mph in a week
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

I don't think there is anything, I know there's biodiesel but you won't be saving very much.

Alternatives: Sell car, buy a scooter.
Sell car, buy an economical petrol car and convert it to lpg.
Start a fund to pay a contract killer to assassinate the chancellor... Oh christ, I've done it now. Are you watching Echilon?
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Deano
1.8 8v

Post by Deano »

you can always catch the bus :cheesy:
Last edited by Deano on Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2.0L 8V TURBO EXECUTIVE 150BHP+TOYS ZRX1200R AND MK1 EUNOS ROADSTER
jameslxdt
3.0 24v

Post by jameslxdt »

or walk :lol:
Peugeot wrote:what are you worried about? we made car that lasted 10 years"..."Zat is very goode non? :|
FAQ - 406 D8 petrol (excl. V6) running and starting problems
adam03031980
2.0 Turbo

Post by adam03031980 »

Walking could be a problme for my 60 mile journey to and from work and public transport will take me another 2 hours each day and i hate buses, and the prius if too bloody expensive
zeebee
1.6 8v

Post by zeebee »

adam03031980 wrote:Welll its very good actually i filled my tank up once to the brim and got 750 miles out of it and still had near quarter of a tank and it is service regualry just there is lpg for petrols and wondered if there was anything available for diesels i reckon i muct get 55-60 or more mpg it uses very little and i average 60mph in a week
That's about as good as you can get from a decent motor car. I don't even get that from my motor bike .....1000cc Honda.
LPG on a standard car will ultimately cost you about the same while having to contend with the loss of boot space care of the extra tank.
Even the prius won't do too much better (if at all) at highway speeds, so getting a small motor cycle is about it really. (Not nice when it rains) :|

-----------------------------------------------------------------
406STDT
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

zeebee wrote:LPG on a standard car will ultimately cost you about the same while having to contend with the loss of boot space care of the extra tank.
Not necessarily, you can get a toriodal tank to go in the spare wheel well. This does mean loosing your spare wheel and carrying a can of tyre sealer of course, and I don't suppose the guy fixing your flat tyre will be a happy bunny...

zeebee
1.6 8v

Post by zeebee »

steve_earwig wrote:
zeebee wrote:LPG on a standard car will ultimately cost you about the same while having to contend with the loss of boot space care of the extra tank.
Not necessarily, you can get a toriodal tank to go in the spare wheel well. This does mean loosing your spare wheel and carrying a can of tyre sealer of course, and I don't suppose the guy fixing your flat tyre will be a happy bunny...
True, but when you factor in the expense of the installation, the loss of the spare AND the drop in performance for no gain over the HDI in terms of economy....Only a masochist would go there :roll:

------------------------------------------------------------------
Diesels rock!
jameslxdt
3.0 24v

Post by jameslxdt »

if you want economy buy the new peugeot 308 hybrid 1.6 HDi apparently it does over 100mpg 8)
Peugeot wrote:what are you worried about? we made car that lasted 10 years"..."Zat is very goode non? :|
FAQ - 406 D8 petrol (excl. V6) running and starting problems
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

zeebee wrote:True, but when you factor in the expense of the installation, the loss of the spare AND the drop in performance for no gain over the HDI in terms of economy....Only a masochist would go there :roll:
There would be a gain, maybe not there 'cos I'm a little out of date with UK prices but here lpg is less than half the price of petrol. If I found a car that did, say, 40 mpg and converted it, even with losses the car would be doing the equivalent of 75 mpg.

Or, as James says, go and out buy a new 308, just mention his name and I'm sure they'd give you a huge discount
:P

V6Exec
3.0 24v

Post by V6Exec »

steve_earwig wrote:
zeebee wrote:True, but when you factor in the expense of the installation, the loss of the spare AND the drop in performance for no gain over the HDI in terms of economy....Only a masochist would go there :roll:
There would be a gain, maybe not there 'cos I'm a little out of date with UK prices but here lpg is less than half the price of petrol.
Nice video of one for sale http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPn8v77OYas

Between Wikipedia and youtube is there nothing that cannot be found???

Running a V6 and managing to drink £65 of fuel last week alone (how - I live 1.5 miles form work!!!) I wonder if an LPG conversion would make economic sense. If the running costs are halved it could pay for itself in just over a year :shock:
Remember - it only takes a few inches of water to drown a 406 don't make the same mistake I made! The V6 Exec is no more.

406 Coupe S HDi

PP2000 clone interface
zeebee
1.6 8v

Post by zeebee »

Running a V6 and managing to drink £65 of fuel last week alone (how - I live 1.5 miles form work!!!) I wonder if an LPG conversion would make economic sense. If the running costs are halved it could pay for itself in just over a year :shock:[/quote]

LPG would be great for your instance but in HD110's case, he's already getting good economy from his diesel. Getting a petrol fuelled car just so one can run LPG (as has been suggested) is a backward step IMO
------------------------------------------------------------------
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

V6Exec wrote:Running a V6 and managing to drink £65 of fuel last week alone (how - I live 1.5 miles form work!!!) I wonder if an LPG conversion would make economic sense. If the running costs are halved it could pay for itself in just over a year :shock:
There's all sorts of sites for lpg conversions, most have some sort of calculator to tell you much [they[/i] reckon you'd save. As I said, the prices are different here, so do your own maths! :cheesy:

I don't think it's a step backwards, as far as I remember diesel is more expensive than petrol in the UK anyway, and diesel cars have a higher starting price due to all the emissions systems/greedy manufacturers. More a step sideways...

Here the dealers are selling new cars "pre-converted".