Air and Pollen filter change with pics

Knowledge Base Articles

Moderator: Moderators

Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Air and Pollen filter change with pics

Post by Welly »

Hi folks, and welcome to another instructional photo-story from Welly :)

I have been a little lazy in changing my filters and realised that 2 years and 15000 miles is long enough so it was time to change them for new ones!

First, with the air box lid removed I compared the old and new filters..

Seems Peugeot have changed suppliers then...

Time to hoover out the air box it was pretty bad.....

Next up, the Pollen filter! lets get that splash gaurd off and hoover all the leaves out before I remove the old filter (in case antything drops down into the fan assy)

Lets look at the old filter, ewww!........

And the lovely new one....

Lets pop that new one in, just simply push fits into some plastic lugs

When replacing the splash gaurd be careful to locate these lugs up over the bodywork, this is the worse bit of the job...

Make sure you can't push down on here and it's nice and tight, otherwise water will get in!

Now, make a cuppa and admire your work, you can have a Rocky bar if you like! also try leaving the tea bag in for at least 5minutes to allow the anti-oxidants to be released fully into the brew.....

I thank yaw.

Fin.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: Air and Pollen filter change with pics

Post by steve_earwig »

Oooh, genuwine Pug parts, you should have finished with a glass of champagne and some caviar! :P
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Welly

Post by Welly »

steve_earwig wrote:Oooh, genuwine Pug parts, you should have finished with a glass of champagne and some caviar! :P
I would have done, but the £30.00 bill from the Pug parts counter prevented this :cry:

Still, I saved on labour (not that it's a difficult job anyway) but I know I do a better job of it, what with all the hoovering etc!
Cars in my care:
mbell666
3.0 24v

Post by mbell666 »

The pug filters aren't that much more rather from a decent motor factors to be honest. For example fram oil filter 6.09 +vat, pug £8.10 +vat.

Always get mine from pug dealer, i am in there that often they normally give me a bit of discount. Quite often get the oil filter for £4.86 :mrgreen:

Must visit and get bit for 160k service this weekend
1997 Honda Prelude 2.2 VTi
Previously - 1999 406 Executive HDI
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

Air and pollen filters only work out at about £15-20 for the two even from Halfrauds, and they're open at reasonable times.

Nice choice in screwdriver Welly. Got one of them and love it to bits :) But why take the top of the air filter box off? I usually just lift it up...
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
adam03031980
2.0 Turbo

Post by adam03031980 »

My brother works for a large motor factors company and i serviced my car this weekebd got a genuine pug oil and air filter also a fuel filter and 5 litres of semi synthetic oil ooh and the washer for £18 all inc vat not bad eh
TooT
3.0 24v

Post by TooT »

Ive never changed my pollen filter, but then my air-con does'nt work :cry:

Is there any point in changing it?
2006 207 GT THP 150
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

TooT wrote:Ive never changed my pollen filter, but then my air-con does'nt work :cry:

Is there any point in changing it?
Yes! All the air that goes into the cabin when you switch the fan on goes through that filter. Have a look at it and see just how much it stops from entering your lungs!
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
Welly

Post by Welly »

Tooty you should change it anyway :o

Like m said, it filters out all the crap from outside. That old pollen filter above has been in my car for just under 2 years and 15000 miles, I live and work in a rural location fairly free of polution (not like a city any how) and the filter is pretty black!

For the sake of £15.00, and the increased airflow you will get, I would change it. Also you will probably find (like I did last time) that a piece of backing foam from the splashgaurd has fallen away and is blocking half the filter anyway! this will need glueing back in place (I used spray glue).

Welly
Cars in my care:
Tiny Tim
2.0 16v

Post by Tiny Tim »

Ok, got two stupid questions here, but please dont take the piss, this is my first pug and I didnt get an owners book....

I dont have aircon on my model, do I have a pollen filter?

Secondly, the switch for my heater fans - one option looks like it takes air from the fan/engine area and the other side of the switch looks like it uses the air inside the cabin (has an orange light on this option as well) is that right?
Welly

Post by Welly »

All D9's have pollen filters and most if not all D8's I think.

You have 2 buttons to control where the air is coming from. One allows air from outside (bottom of windscreen and pollen filter) the other is a recirculation button which closes the outside air duct and literally recirculates air from within the cabin only. This is useful if your following a smelly car exhaust or in a tunnel but the humidity will build up and steam up the windows after a while.

The orange light is a warning not to leave it on recirc too long.
Cars in my care:
Tiny Tim
2.0 16v

Post by Tiny Tim »

Sporting. Cheers Welton :cheesy:

Now, whats the score with that round thing I see people holding as they drive along...