Smelly heating system

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

michaeljclark
1.8 16v

Smelly heating system

Post by michaeljclark »

:oops:

Today is the 2nd time I've been told my car smells when I put the heating on (not got AC) and both time's I've been told it smells like curry (I've had a look and can't see any chicken tikka stuck any where :cheesy: ) It doesn't smell when it's just pushing cold air, just when I apply heat :|

I know that for AC equiped cars you can by a can of stuff which kills the bugs etc but what about "normal" cars like mine?

I've obviously got used to the "smell" but would like to get rid of it for the benefit or other passengers!

Any thoughts please?

Cheers

Mike
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: Smelly heating system

Post by steve_earwig »

Try the air con cleaning stuff? Otherwise it's out with the matrix...
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

Yeah I'd be tempted to try that stuff too. The problem with air con is that you get loads of moistue in the system which makes it a nice place for bacteria and mould to grow, not only smelly but also not very healthy. You shouldn't really have that problem though.

What about the sticking the fans on full then squirting a load of febreze or similar into the heater inlet? Take the pollen filter out first to make sure it gets in there and into all the nooks and crannies, but you could also give the pollen filter a good dose, might make the effect last longer. :?
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
mbell666
3.0 24v

Post by mbell666 »

you might even want to stick a new pollen filter in, there often over looked when people service cars and can collect a lot of crap (rotting leaves etc) that can smell a bit.
1997 Honda Prelude 2.2 VTi
Previously - 1999 406 Executive HDI
michaeljclark
1.8 16v

Post by michaeljclark »

Well the 406 is in for a service on Tuesday, so I've added the Pollen Filter to the list!

And I'll give fabreeze a whirl if and if it still doesn't fix it I guess I'll start a bit of moonlighting delivering currys.....then I can say that's why peeps can smell curry!!!!!! :D

Mike
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Pollen Filter.

Fin.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
darrenwall
2.0 Turbo

Post by darrenwall »

i always found that any smells when the heaters are on especially a sort of fishy smell ( thats wot it smells like to me :? ) is usually the heater matrix is leaking slighty altho i may be wrong but thats wot happened in my last 2 405's
just dip me in chocolate and throw me to the lesbians
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

My guesses are:

1. Something dying on the pollen filter
2. Leaky heater matrix
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
Smelliot
1.8 16v

Post by Smelliot »

With a nice sunday of tinkering, I thought of this post and thought I would have a go at getting rid of that 'wet dog' smell out of my car when it's been baking in the sun. I'm a bit strapped for the ol' cash at the mo, so didn't buy a new pollen filter...until next time. Hoovered it all out and turned the fan on full and sprayed frebreze into it when the pollen filter was out.
Did the job, just have to wait until the sun really starts to come out, but the drive to work today was a nice fresh cruise. Thanks for the advice. :D
2.0L turbo D8 exec saloon