Oil Temperature

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Carpman
1.8 8v

Oil Temperature

Post by Carpman »

I am a little concerned at the oil temp display on my d9 2.0l petrol, on a motorway run at 70mph+ it sits there a little over half way, some where around 110-120 deg. The water temp is fine at 90 deg c. Since I had the car as far as I remember it was normally at around 100 deg but since I serviced it last the temp has gone up.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I added some wynns oil treatment stuff with the service and it was like treacle. On my other the car the oil temp is always below the water temperature!

Does anyone have an idea what it should be reading in a normal situation? The car is running fine with no other symptons but I don't want to ignore it and then run into more problems. I am hoping it could be something like the sensor :lol: could the oil pump be on it's way out?

Carpman
DannyBoy
1.8 8v

Re: Oil Temperature

Post by DannyBoy »

Have you changed the grade of oil that you are using?
Carpman
1.8 8v

Post by Carpman »

No it's the same oil grade I always use, the only difference is the Wynns oil treatment stuff I put in.

Carpman
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

I used magnatec one time in my car and that ran a little hotter than the previous oil. This time I went with Total quartz 7000 semi-syn and it's running a little cooler than ever before :?

I was surprised that the temp went up with magnatec, I'd have thought it would further reduce friction and therefore temperature, but it didn't work out like that. Maybe your Wynns additive is having the same result. :?
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
Carpman
1.8 8v

Post by Carpman »

Yep I am starting to think the same, as the only difference is the Wynns. I just drove 200 miles and at 80mph it sat there around 120C so I guess it's within range, just got me concerned because it is different than normal.

Carpman
muffindell
2.2 16v

Post by muffindell »

If the additive was like treacle then the engine will have to work harder to overcome internal losses, thus more heat. The only additive that I would recommend is ZX1, it's brilliant! You can use it in your fuel,oil, water and power steering all from the same bottle. They use this stuff on the oil rigs to make the drill bits last longer, it's also used in motor racing and thrashes even the best synthetic oils for friction reduction and is much, much better than the PTFE additives which will leave a ash deposit inside your engine over time.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

My mechanic was telling me about a chap a few years back with a V8 rover. This guy changed the oil and then plopped in a full bottle of Slick 50 - and put the car away for the night :o

The gloopy goo of the Slick 50 sat down in the sump like a lump of lard and blocked the oil pick up. The next day - Bye Bye engine :shock: he should have ran the thing straight away :roll:

carry on.........
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
muffindell
2.2 16v

Post by muffindell »

Yeah, lots of probs with slick 50 (PTFE treatment), apparently it can produce lots of ash, killing your oil and blocking the oil ways; unlike ZX1 which starts off runny as water and doesn't produce ash or anything like that.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

I once went to a lecture by a chap from one of the big engine oil co.s (Shell?) and he was saying that ptfe oil treatment is great, provided you plan on running your engine without oil in it. Seems the oil needs a slightly rough surface so it clings but if the surfaces are totally smooth the oil just gets squished out and doesn't do much actual lubrication.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Carpman
1.8 8v

Post by Carpman »

So guys, what temp does your pug run at?

Carpman
eoin27
The Irish 406 addict

Post by eoin27 »

look at ye posh bastards with ye're oil temp gauges. I've a light telling me when its low. so there!
2000 D9 Coupé 2.0 SE EW10J4 Scarlet Red - 5 litres of oil gone in 500 miles!!! Time for a new coupe me thinks
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

But not too high? Man, that's basic! :o
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Carpman
1.8 8v

Post by Carpman »

lol