SRI TURBE OR NOT TURBE

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

GoldenBlunder
1.8 8v

SRI TURBE OR NOT TURBE

Post by GoldenBlunder »

Are all SRI's turbocharged (petrol) ? My 2ltr aint got one so was I robbed.
Thanks
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Re: SRI TURBE OR NOT TURBE

Post by Welly »

All the SRi's of N, P, R, S reg's where 150BHP 2.0T's.

How do you know there's no turbo as it's very difficult to see down the back of the engine. You should have a small intercooler at the front with large hoses coming off it.

Your lack of turbo'ness might be because it has siezed very common on your engine if i's been neglected oil changes or someone's fiddled with the boost.

The other thing to note is hat this engine is not a high reving boost happy machine - it's more subtle with low down power mostly.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
Smelliot
1.8 16v

Post by Smelliot »

It should be the same engine as in my '96 exec and it had always felt slow, after throwing too much money at it and a few trips to see Niz it was the intercooler which had a crack down the pipe on the side of the intercooler, apparently a common problem. Also, I did seize my turbo at one point and that made it even slower!

Mine never was a rev happy boost machine.....until Niz put some bits on it, now I can't believe it's the same car! :roll: he he

Am I going mad, or did some of the SRI's have the 2.0 16v lump in them, so if you have one of them it will be missing a turbo.
2.0L turbo D8 exec saloon
GoldenBlunder
1.8 8v

Post by GoldenBlunder »

No you are'nt going mad my SRI aint got a turbo which is what my Question was about so THANKS!
niz406
Admin <BR>Turbo God

Post by niz406 »

Well if your SRi is a 16 valve then no it wont have one, if it's an eight valve then you may have one.... but it may be broken ! !
Niz406
--------
"Some Say he can fart fire, whilst others say he can urinate rocket fuel.... all we know is he's called... The Niz"
GoldenBlunder
1.8 8v

Post by GoldenBlunder »

It's a 16 valve and a bit gutless lowdown ,well compared to my old 2ltr pinto Sierra Estate.
niz406
Admin <BR>Turbo God

Post by niz406 »

GoldenBlunder wrote:It's a 16 valve
That'll be 136bhp then sir ! !

They so should of stuck the turbo on the 16v head... oh wait they did... T16 Turbo :D

Get one of those engines for it and you are laughing ! ! :)
Niz406
--------
"Some Say he can fart fire, whilst others say he can urinate rocket fuel.... all we know is he's called... The Niz"
Smelliot
1.8 16v

Post by Smelliot »

Well, you learn something new every day then, I thought all SRI's were the 8v turbo units, looks like the 16valve bug passed thoughout all the range then.

Just wondering what you could do to give it a bit more pluck lower down.... Maybe an induction kit, or does that just help with forced induction?
2.0L turbo D8 exec saloon
niz406
Admin <BR>Turbo God

Post by niz406 »

Smelliot wrote:Just wondering what you could do to give it a bit more pluck lower down....
Not much for lower down, but aparently you can use the exhaust manifold from the GTi6 which improves flow, that with cams, and porting should improve the overall power band.... but not by huge amounts...
Niz406
--------
GoldenBlunder
1.8 8v

Post by GoldenBlunder »

Only way I could get more bottom end pull with this engine is with softer cams +remap .Lowering the comp and sticking a blower on as well would be better , I'll have to stick with playing tunes on the box as the missus wont like me taking it to bits.Got me sly eye out for a 3ltr coup.