CAMBELT

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

GoldenBlunder
1.8 8v

CAMBELT

Post by GoldenBlunder »

Hi has anyone fitted a new cambelt to a 2ltr twin cam non turbo?Any tech help welcome,looks a real pain in the arse.
Thanks. When I've done it I'll post details if anyone wants.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: CAMBELT

Post by steve_earwig »

Oh, we always want :cheesy:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

No experience of that engine, but a common couple of things are the camshaft pulley - you'll need some serious turning power to get that sod's bolt out, and the screws on the wheelarch liner will be rusted beyond use. Get a pack of replacement screws from the dealer (few pence) and be prepared to use molegrips to remove at least half of them

Depending on how awkward the engine is, it may help to jack the sump and remove the top engine mount and ECU box
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
GoldenBlunder
1.8 8v

Post by GoldenBlunder »

What I,ve done in the past XR4x4 (heavy) is to put the body up on blocks just behind the front wheel wells .Then get an old vertical lift car jack ,old Skoda ones are great and fix the base to the centre of a 4by4 beam.The beam then fits across the two front wings over the engine.Put mats underneath to stop scratches.Get some chain and connect the engine to the jack .Now drop the engine from underneath onto a board with rollers or bits of pipe under it . Generally takes me about 2 hours each way . I reckon it's easier than struggling in the engine bay and you get a good chance to clean stuff up.