Knock Knock!!!!

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

johnd
1.8 16v

Knock Knock!!!!

Post by johnd »

Can anyone help just had the car mot'd and serviced last week brought the car home and it has been stood in the garage for the last few days and not been run. Today me and the family have been for a trip out and on the way back got got stuck in slow moving traffic and when selecting 1st gear and pulling away there is a knocking noise coming from the drivers side this only happens at slow speeds when pulling away in 1st and 2nd gear then its all quiet and nothing when cornering.
As anyone got any suggestions what this could be if the weather holds off this weekend will be having a nose around see if I can see anything.
teamster1975
Site Admin & Mad Biker!

Re: Knock Knock!!!!

Post by teamster1975 »

There's several things to check here; antirollbar bushes, antirollbar drop links, trackrod end, suspension spring fatigue, bottom engine mount
I haven't managed to cure mine yet & I've replaced the anti-roll bush & drop link. I've heard there's a bush on the wishbone that also wears.
Hope this helps!
1996 406 1.8LX Got a bad case of hydro lock!
1996 406 Executive 2.0 Turbo XU10J2TE No longer hangin' on in there :(
1997 Honda CB500V
2003 Volvo V40 1.8 GDi SE killed by a nutter in a beemer 5 series
2008 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Titanium X

"Always look on the bright side of life, dedo, dedo dedodedo"
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

I'm putting my money on an engine mount, likely the top one
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
adam03031980
2.0 Turbo

Post by adam03031980 »

I have the same problem with mine but havent found out yet how do you check the engine mounts or is it just a case of they need to be perished to be knackered
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

adam03031980 wrote:how do you check the engine mounts or is it just a case of they need to be perished to be knackered
You can't really, unless you can get the symptoms to occur without the car moving
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Maybe you could stick it in gear, put your right foot on the brakes and raise the clutch 'til it bites, and have your beautiful assistant watch the engine for any excessive movement.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

all that succeeded in doing for me was to burn the clutch :(
teamster1975
Site Admin & Mad Biker!

Post by teamster1975 »

mjb wrote:I'm putting my money on an engine mount, likely the top one
Not in my case, I replaced that (well, liberated it from the LX before the insurance company took it :lol: ) cos the tubby's was indeed knackered and it still clonks :(
1997 Honda CB500V

mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

teamster1975 wrote:
mjb wrote:I'm putting my money on an engine mount, likely the top one
Not in my case, I replaced that (well, liberated it from the LX before the insurance company took it :lol: ) cos the tubby's was indeed knackered and it still clonks :(
All of it or just the arm? In my case although the rubber bushes were pretty much destroyed, the racket only stopped after replacing the big hemisphere-shaped bit (after spending £150 on replacing the rest of it :evil: ), and I doubt I could get one of those bits off without mangling it anyway

And don't forget that one part of it going means the rest will die very very soon due to the extra movement!
teamster1975
Site Admin & Mad Biker!

Post by teamster1975 »

mjb wrote:All of it or just the arm?
No I did the whole lot, it was easier swap the whole unit! The LX one looked near enough brand new spookily enough! The centre of the bush on the tubby (ooer!) had completely separated from the outer ring, there was a huge amount of play in the engine.
1997 Honda CB500V

johnd
1.8 16v

Post by johnd »

Sorry not had chance to reply me pc has been knackered and not been able to log on at work thanks for all the replies but slightly embarassed about this one :oops:

finally got the chance to have alook last week got my handbook laid out cup of tea old clothes on tool box out jack out cover on the floor.
pop the cover off the alloy wheel put the wheel brace on the wheel nuts and to my shock the off side wheel nuts were only finger tight so before i went any further tightened them up and took the car for a spin and guess what the knocking has stopped.
At first i absoulutly furious that the garage had forgetten to tighten nuts and the guys at the local motosave had not checked the wheel nuts either sitting back thinking what could have happened while we were on the motorway it doesn't bear thinking about.

But again guys thanks for the help.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Hey, been there, got the brown stain. And today's lesson is... when the monkies do something to your wheels, always check they didn't have the air gun set to something stupid (this includes 4,000lbf ft, the hard shoulder is not a good place to find out you need a medium-sized elephant to stand on the brace).
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
teamster1975
Site Admin & Mad Biker!

Post by teamster1975 »

steve_earwig wrote:(this includes 4,000lbf ft, the hard shoulder is not a good place to find out you need a medium-sized elephant to stand on the brace).
Been there done that too :frown:
1997 Honda CB500V