Argh, ABS fault

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Pugman406
2.0 16v

Re: Argh, ABS fault

Post by Pugman406 »

munfred wrote:The ABS wire is quite alot thicker than brake wear cabels and its nowhere near where it can be caught.
Strange.
i will have a look soon, but im not complaining, the fault has gone as far as im concerned, so im happy! :lol:
D9 2.0 HDI, 406, GLX, 110
Pugman406
2.0 16v

Post by Pugman406 »

The fault has returned!!

seriously, ive never owned a car with so many faults!
munfred
2.0 16v

Post by munfred »

Touch wood, mine is sorted.
Seriously try at taking the sensors out and giving them a clean if you jet washed it last time, and it cured it.
My sensors were filthy when I took them out. The fronts were really easy to access and came out really easily.
The rears were harder to get to, and I couldnt get out the side I tried.

I know what you mean about all the faults that the 406 is constantly having, however I keep on finding myself, paying up or sorting out so that the 406 stays on the road. At the end of the day, although more things typically need doing than other similar cars. It always seems to be cheaper in parts. I keep the 406 because it is alot of car for the money, and if I was to get rid, I would have to pay a lot to get a car with the same benefits that I get from keeping it. I have always planned to keep it until the end of 2009/early 2010, so we will have to see where life takes me in a years time to what decision I make.
MDB929
1.6 8v

Post by MDB929 »

If the sensor rings are covered in enough muck the sensor itself might not be able to see the gaps in it, and will therefore not create a signal which the ABS ECU will flag as a fault. It's definitely worth giving them a clean.
Pugman406
2.0 16v

Post by Pugman406 »

Thanks guys, i gave it another power wash, and it cured it again, but im gonna jack it up and have a look at the sensors when i find a spare 5 minutes, doesnt help with the dark nights setting in, i can only rely on the weekends and the weather.

Cheers.
Pugman406
2.0 16v

Post by Pugman406 »

Just cured mine today, the ring on the drive shaft on n/s/f was loose and rattling around, turns out it has a crack in it, so glued it back on with nylock, not sure wether this will last , but we have sumthin stronger if it dont. Was ok on my way home from work, so fingers crossed!
Scotte
1.6 8v

Post by Scotte »

Mine did this and it was the abs ring on the Cv joint - had to have the join t replaced - apparently common fault
wes1001
2.0 16v
Location: Sticky out bit, right on the tip of Kent, practically in the channel !!

Post by wes1001 »

Don't rule out a dickey battery/alternator, as a voltage drop will trigger the light ABS warning light to come on as the system is pretty sensitive low voltage 8)
munfred
2.0 16v

Post by munfred »

argh.
Its back.
Was driving down the bypass on the way to work and the ABS fault comes up on the display with the ABS and (!)
But this morning I also had Braking fault coming up on the dash.

Any ideas
Pugman406
2.0 16v

Post by Pugman406 »

Get it jacked up, you should find what looks like a cog on each side on the drive shafts behind the wheels, have a feel and see if they are loose, if they are, then thats whats causing ur fault, this happened with mine, i just used some really strong glue to hold it in place.
munfred
2.0 16v

Post by munfred »

Strange.
Had a brief look at lunchtime yesterday.
Couldnt see anything loose.
Started the car up after work witht he display still up. Get to the entrance and it goes out.
Drive home and about 6 miles in (as I hit the first lot of dual carriageway the lights come on again). Light stays on all the way home.
Wake up this morning, get in the car, start up with the fault displayed get to the end of the road and it has gone. This time it stays off all the way to work.

Does anyone think it could be something to do with the weather and temperature? maybe ice/water getting into the sensor?