Noisy 2.1TD engine

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

pelson

Noisy 2.1TD engine

Post by pelson »

Got an intermittent tapping noise from my 2.1td engine, sounds a bit like tappets. I'm thinking it may be at least one of the hydraulic tappets sticking. has anyone any experience of this or how to replace the tappets?
TRAVIS BICKLE
2.0 Turbo

Post by TRAVIS BICKLE »

I have one just the same in mine at the moment. Im putting it down to having done an oil and filter change the day before and some deposits have made thier way into one of the lash adjusters. its most annoying im going to run some engine flush through it and change the oil again. If taht dosent cure it i will have to whip the top off and check the clearances of them. It is possible that one of them has air in them as the head was off recently and they wont bleed out through running so it will have to be removed and bled up in oil or replaced. Il let you know how it goes.
Its probably done around 3000 miles since the head gasket was done though so i dont think its air.
98, Executive turbo estate in aluminum silver. The stealth wagon! Now departed, New project Xsara VTR-8 in progress, Next Project, 406 D8 / JAP. So will be looking for a 406 again when the xsara is done!
neildavies
3.0 24v

Post by neildavies »

This may be the same as a problem I had with my old 2.1TD. It came down to a faulty diesel injector, the first one with a sensor on it (cost about ?135 from dealer).

The symptoms are when it happens, the car looses power, if you put your foot down and accelerate, you can 'ride it' out and it seems to clear. Also, it throws out smoke when it happens.
I described the sound similar to a transit engine.

Let me know if you need to know anything else,
Neil
2007 Mondeo Titanium X 2.0 TDCi
2007 307cc Sport 2.0 HDi 136
Gone but never forgotten: 2002 406 Coupe SE 2.2 HDi
Captain Jack
3.0 24v

Post by Captain Jack »

neildavies wrote:This may be the same as a problem I had with my old 2.1TD. It came down to a faulty diesel injector, the first one with a sensor on it (cost about ?135 from dealer).

The symptoms are when it happens, the car looses power, if you put your foot down and accelerate, you can 'ride it' out and it seems to clear. Also, it throws out smoke when it happens.
I described the sound similar to a transit engine.

Let me know if you need to know anything else,
Neil
I had a problem with the sensor on injector 1 as well. There was very little power in acceleration. Unfortunately, I drove around like that for 2 years as I didn't KNOW it was low on power until I took it to the derv doctor who said it was SLOW. He plugged the diagnostics thing in and said it was number 1 injector sensor. LSUK replaced the injector for ?150 inc VAT :)
robconnors1977
1.8 16v

Post by robconnors1977 »

Its probably unlikely, but these cars around S plate some times suffer with loose swirl chambers in the head. This can some times cause this fault.
TRAVIS BICKLE
2.0 Turbo

Post by TRAVIS BICKLE »

I ran some top end treatment through mine the other day, then changed the oil and filter again, seems to have sorted it :D
98, Executive turbo estate in aluminum silver. The stealth wagon! Now departed, New project Xsara VTR-8 in progress, Next Project, 406 D8 / JAP. So will be looking for a 406 again when the xsara is done!
pelson

Post by pelson »

Travis - what treatment did you use & is everything still running quietly?
TRAVIS BICKLE
2.0 Turbo

Post by TRAVIS BICKLE »

I used Fortron top end treatment, just stick it in and give it a good hard drive (mine took about 300 miles or one day in my job) you dont need to change the oil until next service so thats not bad.

It had 108K when i got the car in April its now july and the speedo is reading 128K and still going strong.
Il be after a 2.2 HDI 406 estate next i think :cheesy: