2L petrol misfire??

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

tempragolf
1.8 8v

2L petrol misfire??

Post by tempragolf »

I'm having some problems with my 2.0 petrol EW engine. Its a V reg. When I am cruising (not as in George Michael) along with my foot on the throttle so that its almost on/almost off, I get a slight but constant engine judder which feels like a misfire but it isn't! That make sense folks? This is particularly noticeable in 4th gear. It is really irritating. Any ideas? I have a set of Bosch 4 point electrode plugs fitted and I've heard that some engtines don't like these. However, I don't think its these causing the problem this time. I have a new lambda sensor fitted and a new coil pack but still the problem is there.

Now I have another problem which you think may or may not be linked to this. On idling, the revs go down to around 500rpm and it feels quite rough but if I put the air con on then it idles at 800rpm - so I leave the aircon on! If I switch the aircon off, after a few miles of stop starting at lights etc the engine management light comes on. HELP!!!!!!!!!
lee444

Re: 2L petrol misfire??

Post by lee444 »

tempragolf wrote:I'm having some problems with my 2.0 petrol EW engine. Its a V reg. When I am cruising (not as in George Michael) along with my foot on the throttle so that its almost on/almost off, I get a slight but constant engine judder which feels like a misfire but it isn't! That make sense folks? This is particularly noticeable in 4th gear. It is really irritating. Any ideas? I have a set of Bosch 4 point electrode plugs fitted and I've heard that some engtines don't like these. However, I don't think its these causing the problem this time. I have a new lambda sensor fitted and a new coil pack but still the problem is there.

Now I have another problem which you think may or may not be linked to this. On idling, the revs go down to around 500rpm and it feels quite rough but if I put the air con on then it idles at 800rpm - so I leave the aircon on! If I switch the aircon off, after a few miles of stop starting at lights etc the engine management light comes on. HELP!!!!!!!!!
I have same car age aswell and its doing my head in i have changed everything even cat, coil pack, injectors, stepper, map sensor, and every other sensor . still judder.
teamster1975
Site Admin & Mad Biker!

Re: 2L petrol misfire??

Post by teamster1975 »

It could be the throttle pot if it happens when you're cruising...
The aircon should make the revs drop when it kicks in at idle so that's all a bit weird!
1996 406 1.8LX Got a bad case of hydro lock!
1996 406 Executive 2.0 Turbo XU10J2TE No longer hangin' on in there :(
1997 Honda CB500V
2003 Volvo V40 1.8 GDi SE killed by a nutter in a beemer 5 series
2008 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Titanium X

"Always look on the bright side of life, dedo, dedo dedodedo"