Can't get dip stick in tube

Discuss, ask, or get help with engine and mechanical queries in here.

Moderator: Moderators

diesel.weasel
1.8 8v

Can't get dip stick in tube

Post by diesel.weasel »

Help.

I have a 1999 406 hdi 90 which I have just sold. As a diligent previous owner, I dipped the sump before in preparation for transfering ownwership, now I cant get the dip dtick to go all the way into the tube. It sits about 70% of the way in.

Anyone come across this before. Is there a simple fix? How easy is it to remove the dip stick tube?

I don't want to sell the car in this condition, I would hate some one to do it to me.

Help urgently required and very much appreciated!

D.W
welshviking
1.8 16v

Re: Can't get dip stick in tube

Post by welshviking »

Silly question but you have not snapped the dipstick, its a very common fault on the Citroen Picasso's but never heard of it on a 406 before, if its not snapped try taking it out and turning it 180 degrees before trying again.
2002 D9 406 EXECUTIVE HDI 110 BHP SAT NAV, CRUISE CONTROL, HEATED LEATHER MEMORY SEATS ETC ETC
diesel.weasel
1.8 8v

Post by diesel.weasel »

Thanks for the suggestion.

It's not snapped.

Tried turning it 180 degrees more than once, always snags on the same point.

Any other suggestions

DW
swiss
3.0 24v

Post by swiss »

Maybe borrow one from an identical model (if you happen to know someone who owns one). Or acquire one from your local scrappers? Anyway, my point is try it with another stick too see if the problem is with the stick or the tube.

How about getting a length of wire, say from a coat hanger, and jamming it down the tube to see if there is a bit snapped off and blocking it?

Also have you tried peering down the tube with a torch?
The man with no car

"Close the door on your way out, and don't forget your monkey."
diesel.weasel
1.8 8v

Post by diesel.weasel »

Made up a flexible drill bit using a sullivan snake (Model airplane control rod) and a cut down 3mm drill bit stuck in the end.

After much "reaming" using the bit, I was finally able to reliably put the dip stick from my 2004 HDi 90 into the tube.

I rave about the reliability of these cars, but it's always the stupid things that let them down!

Still, it's more than motoring, it's a hobby!

What did I do before f*nnying around with french cars in the dark?

Thanks for all the suggestions.

DW
HimBigChief
3.0 24v

Post by HimBigChief »

I hope you're not planning on running that then as the metal filings will have gone straight down into the oil! :shock: Better change the oil before you do start it!
Image Image
'98 2.1TD Executive Daily Drive........................................'94 309 Goodwood Project Car