Flashing STOP Driving me NUTS! Fixing corrosion inside BSI!

Knowledge Base Articles

Moderator: Moderators

Coops
1.8 8v
Location: High Wycombe during the week, North Yorks at the weekend

Re: Flashing STOP Driving me NUTS! 2001 110HDI Advice anyone

Post by Coops »

Try this thread, which details some of the problems you might get with water in the plugs in the driver's footwell, as well as how to fix it.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12118

Hope it's of some use and you get it fixed.
Cheers

Tim
supercharge
1.6 8v

Post by supercharge »

cheers coops, i had a look before i started my adventure on solving the problem...

went through mickeys post a few times to get my head around what it could or could not be, before i started i had paid a visit to the main stealers to get some "expert advice" and a "good value quote" mmm now the fun bit, after leaving the car with them for an hour, i came back (in another hdi to show how loyal i am!) to a nice, 20 year working at the main stealers chat with a top workshop manager...

cutting a long and boring story, very, very short, £780 + parts to fix what ever it was that was causing it, unless it was the ECU and then it would be MUCH more... so after picking myself up, thinking about having it done there... for 3 secs, decided to take another day out and get on with trying to fix it myself...

started with a notepad, a running order of things to do and complete in the right order, some wd40, an airgun, a few torx bits and some chewing gum to stick things back if i screwed up...

started at the battery / fusebox / black gadget things near battery, stripped everything down and started to clean where ever i could see rot and green copper corrosion...

all the pix are super high res for anyone else with a similar problem to solve...

got a bit further and found some more rust etc

cleaned all the stuff in order and still no luck with the poxy bleeping stopping!!! so onto the inside cleaning...

the bsi unit, was a right pain to get out and i can clearly see that this is where most non ***techy*** diyers would struggle like hell not to damage both the wiring and the plugs when "pulling" it out of the tight gap...

time to see whats going on inside!!! bearing in mind this is now 3 hours later...

interesting, there are a number of soldered elements that look like someone else has been in the box, so on closer inspection...

as can be seen, the two chips have both been burnt around the connectors, i am unsure if this is common, so out with the airgun again!!! cleaned everything up, wd40, no green rot on the copper and popped it all back together... thinking this is it, its going to work like a treat... guess what... it still did it!!!

so 4.5 hours later, with a completed list, a few new error codes and sore fingers, i thought sod it, i am NOT going to the main stealers, i am NOT spending money... so got the 3 main cables on the BSI, switched the ignition on again and pulled them off in order until i found which one controlled the dash... it was the GREEN one! sprayed the hell out of it with wd40, dryed it with the air gun, got my dremel out with the tiny weeny roto brush and cleaned the connectors one by one until they shone... put it all back together, did a BSi reset and...

IT STOPPED THE POXY BLEEPING!!! so i quickly and i mean quickly put it all back in the BSi slot, which even after 12 times taking it out is still a right pain to do... and started her up... YES it works... so there we go... 5 hours and 4 coronas later, i went outside and just tried it, she is still not bleeping, the last error codes i will read in the morning and post to see whats left to do...

THANK YOU to all who bothered to help, unlike a LOT of other forums, everyone actually took the time to answer, instead of making it up as they went along!!!

now onto the other 2 Hdi's!!!

sc
Last edited by steve_earwig on Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Pics moved to imgur
teamster1975
Site Admin & Mad Biker!

Post by teamster1975 »

Well done mate, excellent bit of troubleshooting! 8)
1996 406 1.8LX Got a bad case of hydro lock!
1996 406 Executive 2.0 Turbo XU10J2TE No longer hangin' on in there :(
1997 Honda CB500V
2003 Volvo V40 1.8 GDi SE killed by a nutter in a beemer 5 series
2008 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Titanium X

"Always look on the bright side of life, dedo, dedo dedodedo"
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

Great stuff, well done 8) :D
mickeydread1122
1.8 16v

Post by mickeydread1122 »

nice 1 mate at least you managed to get it sorted and im happy for you and you saved yourself some £££ from the stealers. a problem shared is a problem solved.you highlighted something that i had forgotten to mention about the badly corroded wiring by underneath the battery due to acid leakages that can cause some of the lectrical faults on these Pugs mate.
I am absolutely thrilled you solved the problem, imagine taking the BSI unit to bba ( £120 ) for reconditioning then they wipe out all the data inside it and then you look for some1 with PP2000 or at the stealers to reprogramme it to your car.this is what nomally happens to the BSI unit when 2 or three drops of water gets inside of that unit and how much stress,anguish and grief it causes when it starts to give all sorts of electrical problems.
:lol:
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

A really good solution, that could well assist others.

Suggest it's moved to the KB?
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

Nicely done!
supercharge wrote:the bsi unit
<snip>
as can be seen, the two chips have both been burnt around the connectors
The pictures are blurry but that just looks like excess lacquer on the PCB - quite common on low-tech electronics due to cheaper less precise manufacturing processes
mickeydread1122 wrote:you highlighted something that i had forgotten to mention about the badly corroded wiring by underneath the battery due to acid leakages that can cause some of the lectrical faults on these Pugs mate.
Since when? I've never heard of a leaking 406 battery causing problems. There's a drain plug in the bottom of the battery box which prevents leakage into the engine bay. The fuseboxes are inches above the tray and the main wiring harnesses are on a bracket which puts air between them and the ledge the battery box lives on...

The only vulnerable point is the chassis earth located just behind the headlamp, but that just suffers from the same general corrosion everything else on the car suffers from

FWIW, the plate on bottom of my battery tray is horribly corroded from battery acid. The bodywork underneath it however is pristine. The paint is in even better condition than that on my bonnet!
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Sorry, I missed this thread, well done fella!!

I bet you're chuffed with the results, it's cost you nothing but your own time and saved you a fortune!
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
Captain Jack
3.0 24v

Post by Captain Jack »

Well done!

And to think Peugeot wanted to scrap the car because of this.... idiots. :evil:
2003 - 2008: 1998 Peugeot 406 2.1 TD 110bhp LX Saloon
2008 - 2009: 2004 Honda Accord 2.2 CDTI 136bhp Executive Saloon
2009 - 2013: 2002 Peugeot 406 2.0 HDI 110bhp Executive Saloon
2013 - 2021: 2007 Peugeot 407 2.2 HDI 170bhp Executive Saloon (mapped to 213bhp :twisted:)
2021 - ????: 2016 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi 180bhp Titanium
teamster1975
Site Admin & Mad Biker!

Post by teamster1975 »

dogslife wrote:A really good solution, that could well assist others.

Suggest it's moved to the KB?
Agreed!
1996 406 1.8LX Got a bad case of hydro lock!
1996 406 Executive 2.0 Turbo XU10J2TE No longer hangin' on in there :(
1997 Honda CB500V
2003 Volvo V40 1.8 GDi SE killed by a nutter in a beemer 5 series
2008 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Titanium X

"Always look on the bright side of life, dedo, dedo dedodedo"