Flashing STOP Driving me NUTS! Fixing corrosion inside BSI!

Knowledge Base Articles

Moderator: Moderators

supercharge
1.6 8v

Flashing STOP Driving me NUTS! Fixing corrosion inside BSI!

Post by supercharge »

Hi

Having a real pain the butt month with the STOP light, spanner light, fuel light flashing and a beep!

Have tried the BSI reset, changed the battery, had the codes checked for errors (none) and cannot stop it!

It seems to do it when it wants, the only tech / elec answers I can find online all point to the air con / fan switch / wiring under front bumper causing it...

So thought I would ask for some help here... car is due mot, so really need to sort it

I *think* ECU has been changed / exchanged as it has 2007 on it.

Everything else is fine, car drives like a steam train, returns 45mpg.

2001 / 110hdi

Cheers
SC
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Re: Flashing STOP Driving me NUTS! 2001 110HDI Advice anyone

Post by Doggy »

AFAIK, there are several possible causes - low oil pressure, high water temperature to name a couple. (Could be loose connections on these or other sensors). My daughter's 206 used to do it climbing steep hills, but nothing ever came of it.

If you can get the fault codes read cheaply, it's probably worth it, otherwise find a definitive list & work through it.

FWIW I don't think it will affect your MOT
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

I would start with the engine temperature sensor.....the one with a green connector behind the air filter box, at the side of the cylinder head, then take it from there....
mickeydread1122
1.8 16v

Post by mickeydread1122 »

what sort of faulty code reader was used, was it just a normal machine ????????. i advice that you try someone with dealer level diagnostic faulty code reader like Peugeot Planet 2000 or Lexia interface or bite the bullet and go directly to the steallers themselves for code reading and then go from there.i wouldn't advice fixing your car thru guesswork as french cars are known for their electrical gremlins.it could easily turn out to be the BSI unit on its way and creating all sorts of electrical issues.check on the driver's side footwell if its wet at all as the connectors down there if they get corroded can give electrical griefs on these models. :shock:
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

Wouldn't fault codes only be stored after the engine management light had been on? There is no mention of a management light on.

It could be absolutely anything, but I know for certain that the engine temperature sensor faulty would make the STOP light flash.
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

jasper5 wrote:Wouldn't fault codes only be stored after the engine management light had been on? There is no mention of a management light on.
No. I got my PP2000 working this evening (thanks to Eric for spotting his blown fuse which happened on mine too!) and discovered 3 stored faults from when I was doing my clutch change - purge valve open circuit, IAT open circuit and TPS open circuit. A quick clear, engine fire-up, and the IAT fault returned. Turns out it's been unplugged for months! :shock:

No EML though...

Also, every ECU in the car has the ability to store faults, including the seat ECU, and that doesn't being up the EML :lol: I think that's just used for a small subset of engine ECU errors
It could be absolutely anything, but I know for certain that the engine temperature sensor faulty would make the STOP light flash.
Low coolant and low engine oil pressure are another two, but those I know for a fact the latter at least will cause the car to tell you the fault on the display (this obviously being a D9 as the D8 STOP light doesn't flash)
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Same here, I had a load of intermittent faults stored from things long since fixed.

As you can see, there's a few of us with diagnostic setups prepared to help out - whereabouts are you?

(It helps if you put your location in your profile).
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
supercharge
1.6 8v

Post by supercharge »

hey got more input here than asking 3 main stealers and they still couldnt explain it, well for a large cost they could no doubt :D

ok, car is a 2001/Y 110 HDi estate, it has (at this time) no other faults on the electrics, that i can tell, here are some pix that may help the aged old pug experts here to diagnose a bit easier...

is it poss to "swap" the bsi unit and see if the fault is still there? i have 2 other 110s that i can take bits out of to try :?

i will try the engine temp sens, suggested by jasper5 as have not done that yet... thx

the codes were done with a snapon 2500, which only seemed to pick up on a air con something or other error, but then when it was run again it was not there!

due to the ecu and / or other bits that may have been changed over the years, i do not know if this is an ongoing fault, that has never been fixed...

on the subject of the "wiring under the front bumper to the fan relay" i have read elsewhere, is there any truth in this as the fault?

i have checked coolant and oil P, both seem fine... thanks mjb for suggestions

london dogslife, cars however are essex based, so got a week off to sort them once and for all!

thank you all for suggestions, i will update with some pix and let you know if temp ses solved anything!

sc
mickeydread1122
1.8 16v

swapping the bsi unit will not solve your problems as what mjb has said fault codes are nomally stored on the ecu and doesn't necessarily mean the eml should be on.for the donor bsi unit to work on your car you need a corresponding engine ecu plus keys and the transponder all matching from the car you are removing the items.in addition the mileague on your car will increase :lol:
supercharge
1.6 8v

Post by supercharge »

here are a few pix and video to show what this CRAZY car keeps doing, i am starting to think it is actually herby in diguise! VW's have less of this stuff!

the ecu, ***i think*** has been exchanged, as for the bsi, relays, wiring etc etc not sure...

i have removed the eng temp plug, cleaned it and the other 3 near the airbox and it still does the same, as shown in the video...

running out of time to sort this out so would be cool on any more ideas i can try, i have access to the fault tester wed again so if i need to be looking for something in particular, let me know !

on the video, i turn the ignition on and try and capture the first part of the fault, it shows a spanner, 1200 in display and the fuel light flashes, after about 5 secs the stop light starts flashing and then all the 000000's appear on the dash, about 35 secs into video i start the car (camera shake or what!) and the stop light continues to flash, along with the fuel not working etc etc

the photos of the ecu are close up to show anyone here with bish bosch experience the part / rom #s etc

cheers

sc

[youtube]ag3HGeFZyBs[/youtube]
Last edited by steve_earwig on Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Pics moved to imgur
mickeydread1122
1.8 16v

i doubt vey much that the engine ECU was changed at all even if it was replaced it needs to be hard coded to the car to match the engine, bosch fuel system plus the bsi unit.
i had a 2000 model HDI 90 HP before i sold it as spares to a Niger guy, it had similar symptoms flashing stop sign non operative wipers and beeping sound from the dashboard.it cost me a fortune to have it fixed by quesswork as all the faults were there.changed at the time the bsi unit but still no joy.i eventually took it to peugeot steallers who eventually diagnosed that the water had gone inside the bsi unit plus the connectors by the driver's side were badly corroded and water had affected the wiring system and they recommended to scrap it as it would be very expensive to re-do the wiring plus the cost of replacing the bsi unit.by then (2003) i was still a novice in these Pug electrical gremlins.if it did develop that kind of gremlins now i bet i would have fixed the car as of now im a bit good at french electrical gremlins.
if i was you i would check first for the tell tell signs of water leakage on your bsi unit either via the aerial unit or windscreens drainage system.like what i have said before check for the connectors on the driver's side footwell for corrosion as they have a direct bearing to the bsi unit to behave that way.your car starts fine but the symptoms are directly pointing to the bsi unit unfortunately.
as for the spanner symbol showing on the dash its an indication to mileague left for the car to have another service. :wink:
for the 000000 mileague indicator its the BSI unit im afraid and it costs onwards of £350 brand new before the adds on of programming and to the car. :roll:
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

OK that video was very enlightening. Either your instrument cluster is knackered, or your BSI is.

If the radio display works fine, along with the lights (interior and exterior), wing mirrors, stereo, trip computer, headlamp adjuster, horn, etc, then I suspect you may just need a new instrument cluster. Otherwise it needs a session with Peugeot dealer diagnostics and someone who knows what they're doing
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
supercharge
1.6 8v

Post by supercharge »

thanks for your comprehensive reply mickey... i tried to multiquote some of your message and mjb's too at the same time but couldnt find the button lol

sounds Xpensive! funny thing is, it is so bloody intermitent its not an issue, until now, indicactors not working and other such luxuries are needed on the "lets fail it anyway mot test" :shock:

ok so i get the miles to next spanner service bit, thanks mickey! so would it be a good idea to find the bsi, trace the wires for rot / dampness / water / sausage fat etc etc and see if it is any of them causing the issue...

on that note, i understand that the bsi is on the right somewhere, near the footwell?

i think the car may have had all the bits needed to swap over an ecu / keys etc, however i was just told that it had an ecu change, this thread puts paid to that i think!

the milage has already gone ***wrong*** as it has done nowhere near as many miles as is showing, i have the tests to show a lot less, hence being told something was up with ecu/electrics, i would be looking to restore the correct miles and was thinking if the eproms were cleared down and reset, would this resolve the other issue?

i still cannot work out the connections to the front fan / air con / wiring in front bumper that a lot of people seem to have mentioned elsewhere... so i wonder what is the best route?

maybe if i start with a clean up of all the connections and when someone shows / tells me where the bsi is (i know what it looks like) located can have a look to see if its damp or unsealed etc etc

enlighting hey mjb!!! you mean what a crap video jockey i make, had not eaten since day before so was a bit weak holding the camera (any excuse!) :P all the rest works, other than indicators, hazards still work, so you could be right as i think the dash has been out a few times by the look of it!

its not fun anymore!
Captain Jack
3.0 24v

Post by Captain Jack »

Wow, a Xmas tree!

If I were you, I'd take the troublesome lights out/mask them with tape and sell the car as brand new with only 0.1 miles on the clock :supafrisk:
2003 - 2008: 1998 Peugeot 406 2.1 TD 110bhp LX Saloon
2008 - 2009: 2004 Honda Accord 2.2 CDTI 136bhp Executive Saloon
2009 - 2013: 2002 Peugeot 406 2.0 HDI 110bhp Executive Saloon
2013 - 2021: 2007 Peugeot 407 2.2 HDI 170bhp Executive Saloon (mapped to 213bhp :twisted:)
2021 - ????: 2016 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi 180bhp Titanium
mickeydread1122
1.8 16v

ahaaah you have enlighted me by saying the indicators aren't working which means its the BSI unit thats knackered.first and foremost another way to reset it is by going to the scrappy and pull out from any Pug the Shunt (SH) fuse and replace yours on the passenger fuse box between fuse No F5 and F6 and see whether the BSI unit will reset itself.the thing is the bsi unit takes commands and controls everything on the car.lets say you switch on the lightsthe moment you do that a command is send to the BSI unit and it sees that like in digital electronics as a 1 which translates to ON.it actuates on the command and it becomes operational .if you happen to have some1 who is good at auto electrics the first thing is to test all the fuses from the engine and passenger compartment and see whether you are getting the +ve voltage by testing everything from wipers, lights, hazards , indicators etc with every earthing point.
The BSI unit seats directly above the passenger fuse compartment and its a square black box. pull it out and you will see several connectors there and pliz check for any signs of corroded wires for any leakages as the BSI unit is not a very good friend of water like many digital electronics appliances.in addition like what i said pull of the carpet on the driver's side footwell and underneath there are connectors which are prone to rusty and corrosion due to water leakages.these can cause grief and cost you a fortune in fixing you car by the fly (quesswork).
some1 did post an article concerning the corroded connectors on the driver's footwell and the symptoms they were causing some grief on him, CAN WE PLEASE HELP OUR MATE BY RE-DIRECTING HIM TO THE THREAD .