!!!! Water In The Boot Again !!!!

Knowledge Base Articles

Moderator: Moderators

Gary406
The moderator with a 1.9TD!

!!!! Water In The Boot Again !!!!

Post by Gary406 »

hi all, after removing my speakers out the boot today to transport a bed i found the top of the carpet to be wet on the right side , so i removed the spare wheel to find 2" of water sat in there, so then i put my hand under the parcel shelf to find it wet on the inside. it seems its getting in just under the back window i think its the metal flap that the seal sits on ,,,

any1 had this problem before ?

now ive just sealed my rear lights with household silicone, sum1 said not to use that so which is the best sealent to use on paintwork ??

Thanks 8)
2004 (04) Volkswagen Bora 1.9 TDi (100)
Gary406

Re: !!!! Water In The Boot Again !!!!

Post by Gary406 »

well found out were water is getting in again,

under the back window in the corners were the boot seal runs is a weld joint were 2 metal bits meet, water is running thro the weld :shock:

just pointing it out for any1 that may have water problem in car
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

My old Talbot Solara used to leak there, the solution was to park it facing uphill :cheesy:
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
Gary406

Post by Gary406 »

:lol:

i'll invest in sum silicone :lol:
Gary406

Post by Gary406 »

having cleaned all the spare well out fresh water is in there now again,

i think its still getting in the thro the drivers side cluster light /// since i sealed it the light insode still remains wet and full of condensation,

so i will replace it and report back lol
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

I recall contacting auto electricians about the time my rear light leaked, and they said not to use silicone but instead use flexible body sealant. Great suggestion but silicone matches that description, and because i waxoled the area the rust they said could happen wont happen, and ill have to do it each time i go to change a bulb anyhow so ill be able to ensure no rust is happening and run of the mill silicone is easier to remove and reapply than this mysterious flexible body sealant.
Gary406

Post by Gary406 »

i know im probably boring you all now with this water leak but i really have found were its coming in :lol:

inside the boot under the light cluster is 2 bolts that hold the top of the bumper on right in the corner is sum "flexible Body Sealant" gone hard water is running like a river in here were the bumper bolt comes into the boot :x

hopefully my new light will arrive 2moro and i can finally sort this feckin water leak out

any1 ever had water leaking here ?
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

your problems are not boring, someone else could have a similar problem and the solution you find is very useful. I felt dampness in the footwell behind me so if you could throw up a picture i can check this, i think it was a bottle of water i didnt close the lid on, but i like to be safe rather than sorry, so if you could show me this bolt location ill ave a check and know if it was the bottle of water or this causing my dampness.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Definitely not boring, this is useful stuff! If you (or someone) could get a pic the offending article I'll stick it on the Knowledge Base for future reference.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

Its one picture away from going into the knowledge base hall of fame
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

ive checked my boot dry as a bone, under the window dry as jack dees humour, so the fact i have damp rear footwells is confumbling me, i recall i did test the sunroof tubes by taking them out and pouring water through them and a significant bit of water landed on the carpet which i dried in the front but could have went into the back, ill pull out the back seat tommorow for a closer inspection, and also to get it out for a spot of cleaning. Ive the new cill seals on and they never got silicone or adhesive just clips, and i suspect a gule of some sort may have been needed.
Gary406

Post by Gary406 »

sorry for the late post, will sort a picture out in the morning and post it up 8)
Gary406

Post by Gary406 »

hello steve (for knowledge basement), heres the pics of my gremlin, this is located under the drivers side rear light in the rear quater.

tiger seal is what i used this stuff is fantastic and it can even be painted if its an area that can be seen , this is the first cote , will apply another coat once that has dried.

cost £8.80 for the tigerseal and i would advise strongly to buy this before silicone sealant as i did it with silicone first and with the coldness of the metal body the silicone doesnt stick for very long and started letting water in after only 3 days. so pay for the best and get tigerseal

the black in this pic is the new seal , i removed all the old it had gone hard and was leaking water in, the big hole on the quater is were the vent goes, i will put it back in place once the tiger seal has set

and this one you can just see were it runs under the light across into the corner , , ,

Last edited by steve_earwig on Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Pics moved to imgur
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

theres 2 i only ever seen one, good job thanks for the pic
Gary406

Post by Gary406 »

no probs hope it can help sum1 in the future as it took me a while to find this and sort it out, hopefully the proper tigerseal will seal it for good 8)