PROBLEM WITH VENTILATION SYSTEM

Knowledge Base Articles

Moderator: Moderators

Kyle406
1.6 8v

PROBLEM WITH VENTILATION SYSTEM

Post by Kyle406 »

Hello

It seems that my interior fan system doesn’t blow air as powerfully as it used too.

It started to decrease in power ever since the button which has a car and an arrow going over it stopped working. i dont even know what this button does.When I used to press this button the air used to be really powerful now it does nothing except some electric kind of buzzing noise.

Any ideas what could be wrong.

Thanks.
maxxymilian
2.0 16v

Re: PROBLEM WITH VENTILATION SYSTEM

Post by maxxymilian »

Ahh this is a common problem on 406-s. The button controls an electric reductor. It has a tiny motor and many little sprockets. The motor looks like one you would expect to find in a toy car. This reductor controls the outside/inside air valve and often brakes up. The bad thing is, that this little thingy costs a fortune! It is under the glovebox. Will post some pics later. And a possible solution :)

This is the reductor:

Here is the inside of the reductor. Usually the original plastic (modified with brass) wheel wares down and the annoying noise begins while the motor tries to open or close the inside/outside air valve all the time.

This is the new wheel that has to be made somewhere. Since i am not in England that is up to you...
Instruments needed:
And dimensions:

The other solution is to remove the reductor and manually set the valve in the desired position and deal with not having inside/outside air controls.
Last edited by steve_earwig on Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Pics moved to imgur
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

That's a splendid repair Max :cheesy:

What sort of company did you get to make the replacement gear and how much did it cost you?

Perhaps, if it's possible, it might still be cheaper to get them to make another and send it by airmail.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
maxxymilian
2.0 16v

Post by maxxymilian »

Actually, the reductor isn't mine. It's on a mate's car in the bulgarian peugeot forum. He managed to make one at work, but he works in a big mechanical factory. He says the guys that made it aren't too keen on making more :lol: obviously it wasn't easy.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Ah well, I had to ask as it's one of the 406's (many :roll: ) weak spots.

Still impressive though :wink:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Kyle406
1.6 8v

Post by Kyle406 »

hey Max

thats excellent help -thanks very much - i will remove it and go to my local car breakers and see if they have a second hand one i can buy.

thanks for the help especially the pics- i would not know what to look for otherwise.