trip computer installation

Knowledge Base Articles

Moderator: Moderators

nick
Site Admin

trip computer installation

Post by nick »

hey folks, quick question. can anyone give me any pics or drawings they used to install a trip computer? iv read about the extra wise needed thats not shown im the hayes manual, but i dont even have one of those!

can anyone help?

p.s sorry about the state of the post.... im writing it on my phone!

cheers! Nick.
MaDc0w
2.0 16v

Post by MaDc0w »

Didn't know you could add that afterward.
Welton wrote:Couldn't help it........... at first it was the picture of the 2 tone grey 406........and then later the monitor just got sprayed
406OC Image Support
niz406
Admin <BR>Turbo God

Post by niz406 »

I suppose if you have a newer version then its possible that the loom already has the connectors on it, if not go to the scrap yard, find a car that has one and take the loom :) or alternatively you can research your wiring diagrams / schematics in your manual and the socket pins to locate the correct connections to the correct sensors etc..

Will take you a while but obviously worth it ! !
Niz406
--------
"Some Say he can fart fire, whilst others say he can urinate rocket fuel.... all we know is he's called... The Niz"
MaDc0w
2.0 16v

Post by MaDc0w »

yea yea if only I bought the premium.. oh well next 406 ;)
Welton wrote:Couldn't help it........... at first it was the picture of the 2 tone grey 406........and then later the monitor just got sprayed
406OC Image Support
niz406
Admin <BR>Turbo God

Post by niz406 »

Dont ya mean Next 407 lol ! ! !
This will be the only 406 I have ! ! ! dont want another this one suites me to the ground :)
Niz406
--------
"Some Say he can fart fire, whilst others say he can urinate rocket fuel.... all we know is he's called... The Niz"
MaDc0w
2.0 16v

Post by MaDc0w »

Sorry, i'm no fan of the 407 :)

I'll have at least 2 more 406s before I think of a 407 hehe..
406OC Image Support
niz406
Admin <BR>Turbo God

Post by niz406 »

I only like the front end of the 407 everything else is pants ! ! ! There is a kit for the 406 that turns the front end into a sort of 407, its the illusion kit from ecosse and its nice !

Gimme that new front end ! ! ! yay !

Use a different back end and skirts and its unique ! ! !

I would like the V6 engine if only it was more reliable, that with a twin turbo conversion would be sweet and good for 450 BHP ! ! w00t w00t !
Niz406
--------
MaDc0w
2.0 16v

Post by MaDc0w »

Good thing that everyone has thier own taste in styling! The front is probly the main thing keeping me from ever owning one :cheesy:

Lights got kinda too round and that wide open round air intake *uhg* The rear lights I dun like either as they became too round like every other euro car lately... The 406 has a much "meaner" look which is why I had to buy it.

We're definitly on the same wavelength on the motor though! :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:
406OC Image Support
niz406
Admin <BR>Turbo God

Post by niz406 »

Dont get me wrong I think the 406 looks very agressive from the front and has some sweet lines, its just that the 407 has more in the sense of air intake through that mammoth grille...

Perfect for a stupidly large intercooler and other air intake devices ! ! ! The 406 is always let down by the hight of the rear end ! ! ! grrr, sills need to be parallel with the ground, well thats my opinuion anyway :)
Niz406
--------
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

i have the wiring loom behind the computer, but thats it. i didnt take the temp sensor.. silly me. the indicator stalk i got dosent let me push the button at the end, so i cant change the display and all it does is stay on the flashing - - - at the temp information. what i needed, and its been done before, is to find out what wires to short to act as the button at the end of the indicator stalk, and the special wire that runs directly from the ecu to the trip computer that iv read about online.

iv seen a couple of newsnet posts about it, but none give an exact how to. hoping some on on here can!

thanks,
nick
niz406
Admin <BR>Turbo God

Post by niz406 »

nick,
See below:

http://peugeot.mainspot.net/wiring406/index.shtml#5

It would appear that the wire needed by the trip computer, its a black wire and is rated @ 15v from Pin32 of the ignition injection control unit...

Obviously I take it that the other wires are +12V, GND, +12V switched and possibly other sensor connections... How many Pins/wires are connected to the Trip Computer??
Niz406
--------
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

I had a look at that diagram but couldnt make head nor tails of it. Theres already a connecter loom in the dash for the trip computer that has 10 wores attached (theres space for more tho)..

The pug I took it out of had an 11th wire, but that was already disconnected. :S

Nick
nick
Site Admin

Post by nick »

p.s I dont suppose anyone has the haynes manual for the 406 with this wiring schematic that could be.. erm... digitally transfered (as long as no one else sees it! ;) )

Nick
RyanO
1.8 8v

Post by RyanO »

Hi Nick,
i was hoping to raise this topic at some stage. I've also been trying to get my trip computer to work, so far I can tell you the following:

I connected the display to the elec plug that's already there.
I changed the stalk to the one with the push button for the display.
I connected the temp sensor in the left door miror.
So far i also only have three flashing '---' on the display.

I found a reference somewhere that said you need to swop two wires on the ECU at that point I stopped as I wasn't keen on risking blowing the ECU because some guy on the other side of the planet can't remember if it was pin 52 or pin 53 or was it pin 54.

The Haynes manual is not much help as it doesn't show all the wiring for the display, it doesn't even show the wires to the temp sensor in the miror.

I know this doesn't help you much. Thought I'd just share my progress with you.
Ryan
niz406
Admin <BR>Turbo God

Post by niz406 »

Well I dont know, asking ppl to do naughty copyright stuff ! ! ! you could get us all into trouble :)

So go here and have a look at your diagram:

http://www.idea-central.co.uk/diagram.jpg

I've used my digi cam as do not own a scanner, its about 800+Kb and is quality image for you, or as best as I could in short time! its clear enough for your needs.

HTH
Niz406
--------