trip computer installation

Knowledge Base Articles

Moderator: Moderators

steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: trip computer installation

Post by steve_earwig »

How does this "add foe" thing work again?
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
old codger
2.0 16v

Post by old codger »

:cry:
itchy
1.8 8v

Post by itchy »

mjb wrote:You missed the part about selling your car and replacing it with a d8 if you want to do this hack. The d9 trip computer is COMPLETELY different.
Roger that!
kebab22
1.8 8v

Post by kebab22 »

Deano wrote:
kebab22 wrote::( thanks for the fast reply.
is there much i can do with my d9 ?
cheers
lee
:roll: Yes get a D8 :mrgreen: sorry I cant resist saying that
:shock: :cheesy:
old codger
2.0 16v

Post by old codger »

:cry: Can someone PM me with an idiots guide to fitting this in my S reg 1-9 TD -including a numpties guide to where the ECU is :(
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

old codger wrote::cry: Can someone PM me with an idiots guide to fitting this in my S reg 1-9 TD -including a numpties guide to where the ECU is :(
It's really not the sort of thing you should be attempting if you don't even know where your ECU is. Get it wrong and you can damage/destroy it.
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
teamster1975
Site Admin & Mad Biker!

Post by teamster1975 »

mjb wrote:
old codger wrote::cry: Can someone PM me with an idiots guide to fitting this in my S reg 1-9 TD -including a numpties guide to where the ECU is :(
It's really not the sort of thing you should be attempting if you don't even know where your ECU is. Get it wrong and you can damage/destroy it.
You're not kidding, I remember holding my breath when I chopped into wire 1368 on the loom after I eventually found it! :)
1996 406 1.8LX Got a bad case of hydro lock!
1996 406 Executive 2.0 Turbo XU10J2TE No longer hangin' on in there :(
1997 Honda CB500V
2003 Volvo V40 1.8 GDi SE killed by a nutter in a beemer 5 series
2008 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Titanium X

"Always look on the bright side of life, dedo, dedo dedodedo"
jameslxdt
3.0 24v

Post by jameslxdt »

not possible on the 1.9 td, only 1.8 & 2.0 16v, turbo and V6
Peugeot wrote:what are you worried about? we made car that lasted 10 years"..."Zat is very goode non? :|
FAQ - 406 D8 petrol (excl. V6) running and starting problems
dshl406

Post by dshl406 »

Hi All,

I got a 1998 GLX (D8) 2l (petrol) and it came with the temp display/trip computer unit built in, without the wiper stalk button or mpg/fuel info.

I've followed the earlier guide and wired the trip computer up. I connected the wires to the back of the instrumental cluster as mentioned, (but I think I've done it wrong). I never got the fuel reading or any information on the trip computer. only get "---" in most modes and temp as it used to show.

What I am confused about is on the instrument cluster, there are two connectors, and the wires aren't labeled as mentioned in Haynes or the earlier post.... anyone has any idea which of the two connectors I should use and which pin numbers?

Thanks awfully! I've learnt soo much from these forums!
2.0 406 D8 GLX
teamster1975
Site Admin & Mad Biker!

Post by teamster1975 »

dshl406 wrote:Hi All,

I got a 1998 GLX (D8) 2l (petrol) and it came with the temp display/trip computer unit built in, without the wiper stalk button or mpg/fuel info.

I've followed the earlier guide and wired the trip computer up. I connected the wires to the back of the instrumental cluster as mentioned, (but I think I've done it wrong). I never got the fuel reading or any information on the trip computer. only get "---" in most modes and temp as it used to show.

What I am confused about is on the instrument cluster, there are two connectors, and the wires aren't labeled as mentioned in Haynes or the earlier post.... anyone has any idea which of the two connectors I should use and which pin numbers?

Thanks awfully! I've learnt soo much from these forums!
Well I can only go from personal experience; if you look closely at the wires they do correspond to the diagram in haynes; and don't forget you need to splice into wire 1368 in the ecu loom.
Did you get the additional connector for the back of the trip computer? I got one from a breakers, any 406 has the connector; if it's an LX you pop out the tray and it's clipped into the back. Chop it off leaving the tails as long as you can. You can prise the top off and add the additional leads for the trip functions. The extra connector will slot into the existing one but you'll need to trim a couple of lugs off to make them fit. I'll take a photo later after I've been to the breakers for a bottom rad hose!
1996 406 1.8LX Got a bad case of hydro lock!
1996 406 Executive 2.0 Turbo XU10J2TE No longer hangin' on in there :(
1997 Honda CB500V
2003 Volvo V40 1.8 GDi SE killed by a nutter in a beemer 5 series
2008 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Titanium X

"Always look on the bright side of life, dedo, dedo dedodedo"
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

dshl406 wrote:I've followed the earlier guide and wired the trip computer up. I connected the wires to the back of the instrumental cluster as mentioned, (but I think I've done it wrong). I never got the fuel reading or any information on the trip computer. only get "---" in most modes and temp as it used to show.
If you've got the instrument cluster wires tapped right you should get an average speed display after about 1/4 mile, and trip distance after a mile. The MPG display won't work without those two, so focus on those first. IIRC the posts in this thread talking about the ECU wire refer to the Bosch MP3.2 ECU. Don't take it for granted the pins are the same on your ECU. The old saying 'measure twice, cut once' pays dividends here, get it wrong and you could damage the ECU.
There are several instrument clusters and I don't know if they're wired differently. The only way to be sure you've got the right one is to find the numbers on each individual wire. The Haynes should tell you which connector to look at.
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
dshl406

Post by dshl406 »

Hey everyone,

Thank for the quick reply, I guess I'll have to wait till the weekend till I start playing with the trip ocmputer again. I'll have take off the instrument cluster and get the wires connected right, then I'll take a deep breath and look at the ECU.. :shock:

as for the connector at the back, I've used some connectors that fixes to computer motherboards and (the front panel lights, switches etc) and used them, they make a nice solid connection. and I've wired up the switch to one next to the screen heater using and old one from the breakers with a blank face (as for the loom, I've used some ethernet cable, dunno how good that it is, but thought it should be ok)

Well thanks again to all! This forum is the best ! :cheesy:
2.0 406 D8 GLX
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

Anyone know where the engine loom meets the dashboard loom?

Been looking at getting this in the V6 and the wiring around the ECU plug is very tightly wrapped up. I think I'd end up making a mess and having to use 2 rolls of insulation tape to get it all back together again unless I can solder the wire into the ECU plug itself, but that's a big job to fix if i slip there, so I'm wondering about taking it from the other end...
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

Roight.

Going to grab some fodder then go out and tackle this now. Think I'm going to snag 1368 from where the engine loom (20MOT) meets the loom that goes through the bulkhead (10PR) because from what someone else has said here, that's where 1368 ends on non-t/c enabled cars. Still no idea how to get it through the bulkhead.

One thing's bugging me a little though. When I fitted it to my tubby, it wouldn't give me miles-to-go except for sometimes when the fuel tank was brimmed. I have a theory that this is because the Haynes manual is actually correct here, and there's a switch somewhere that flicks between the fuel gauge sender going straight to the fuel gauge, or going to it via the trip computer. More collaborating evidence supporting this comes from the coupe forums where they say something or other flashes on the display when the tank's empty, on a non-t/c enabled car.

To check this, can someone with a factory fitted trip computer disconnect it and see if the fuel gauge on the instrument cluster stops working?

Anyone have any idea where this switch might be?

EDIT: Just checked the wiring diagrams on servicebox and I'll just put the results here.
As you can see, there's no switch, it's just wired up differently. I'll figure out how to get it going and finish writing up my howto later :)

If the images look cropped, you need to make your web browser window bigger, or use the links above each image

D8 FUEL GAUGE WITHOUT TRIP COMPUTER

http://www.botchitt.com/screens/406v6/t ... notrip.png

http://www.botchitt.com/screens/406v6/t ... notrip.png

D8 FUEL GAUGE WITH TRIP COMPUTER

http://www.botchitt.com/screens/406v6/t ... c-trip.png

http://www.botchitt.com/screens/406v6/t ... g-trip.png

D8 TRIP COMPUTER WIRING

http://www.botchitt.com/screens/406v6/t ... mplete.png

http://www.botchitt.com/screens/406v6/t ... mplete.png
Last edited by steve_earwig on Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Pics moved to imgur
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

The t/c is all wired up now except for the ECU connection. I severed the fuel gauge sender to instrument cluster wire and passed it through the t/c (had to open up the original t/c connector and use smaller gauge wire for this) and that seems to work - you can tell it *wants* to show me miles remaining after a reset and takes a good guess at it, although this disappears when the car's in motion for obvious reasons (no fuel rate data)

I've just drilled myself a hole through the bulkhead, slightly up from what I assume is the throttle cable opening (in the chamber next to the o/s bonnet hinge) and managed to pass a wire through, which is currently just sat coiled and tied at both ends.

For anyone attempting to pass a wire this way in future, here's the easy way (remember this is my 2nd t/c installation, I did this in 10 minutes all-in):

1) Drill a hole. The only bit I had that would reach was a 6mm, so a 6mm hole I have!
2) Take about 2 foot of coloured bell wire (solid core) and shove it straight down through the hole leaving about 6" remaining.
3) Remove the headlamp adjuster panel (by the drivers knee) and shine a torch straight in. You should see your wire on the right, on top of a large loom. You *can* do this just using the vent hole and the removed side panel, but it's MUCH quicker to take the lower dash and headlamp adjuster panel out!
4) Take another 2 foot of bell wire, fold in half, twist together tightly and make a hook at the folded end. Use it to hook out your wire.
5) Take the wire that's going to go to your trip computer and securely attach it to the wire you've just fished out. I used a twist joint covered by some heat shrink. Pull from outside while feeding through from through the window. DO NOT try to pass an unshielded twist joint. A) you might short something and B) you'll probably snag it on the hole!

My intention is to find and sever 1368 and just solder the new wire on as it shouldn't be connected to anything at the battery tray connector, and there's no room to squeeze a scotchloc anywhere on this car (not the case on the turbo!). I'll add a grommet for the hole and a bullet connector by the ECU plug at a later date. If there's no 1368 I'll be severely pissed off!

Anyone who's done this recently, can you recall what colour 1368 is?