2nd hand bsi

Knowledge Base Articles

Moderator: Moderators

splitpin
1.8 8v

2nd hand bsi

Post by splitpin »

If I was to replace the bsi in my hdi exec with one from fleabay, do I need the chassis Nº from the donor vehicle so that I can program it using pp2000?
Cheers,
Graham.
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Re: 2nd hand bsi

Post by Doggy »

Don't know about the chassis no. but I'm fairly sure you'll need the build code off the doorpost, (D9), or strut top, (D8)
Get the VIN too just in case.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
splitpin
1.8 8v

Post by splitpin »

I have access to a bsi from a 53 plate 406 Hdi Automatic with climate but not cruise.
Will this be ok in my 'V' plate 406Hdi Manual with climate and cruise?
Doggy

Post by Doggy »

I don't think it can work, because of the different comms architecture - you need one from a early 2001 'Y' reg or before, without a COM2000. I think your best bet is to get the BSI, engine ecu, key transponder & keys, all from one car, if you can.
RayneR
3.0 24v

Post by RayneR »

Why people think the old BSI's didn't had cruise ? Cruise is not enabled in BSI .. is only on ECU ... if you check the eletric wiring, the cruise button on dash is connected directly to ECU ... and yes i know this because a garage nearby me confirmed me that they can programme it on my 406 break from may 2000 , and yes my BSI does not have the " supposed " cruise option ... And it was on a Bosh car service garage and not some freak with a clone PP2000 ...
2000/May 406 Estate 2.0 HDI 110bhp DW10ATED now with 205k km & now with cruise control & now remaped @ 134bhp :lol:
leehdi
2.0 16v

Post by leehdi »

A 2nd hand BSI CANNOT be recoded to a different car. You need the Engine ECU and transponder as well. You cannot virginise a BSI.

This is what I wrote on another forum, thought I'd copy and paste it to save writing it out again

* The engine ECU and the BSI have to be matched.
* Each ECU in a correctly functioning system has a 4 digit code programmed into it.
* Once this code is entered into the ECU it will not be possible to be read, deleted or modified.
* The second hand BSI can't be matched to the existing engine ECU even if you know both codes from both ECU's.
* In order to fit a new BSI you need to know the correct security code of the existing engine ECU so you can enter this code in the new BSI.
* If you get this wrong the new BSI will become unusable.
* If you don't know the correct code for the existing engine ECU then you need to replace the engine ECU and the BSI.
* They then will need to be configured and matched. If the code to the vehicle is not known you can make up a code in this case
but make sure you enter the same code in both ECU. It could be an expensive exercise to get this one wrong.
* Peugeot Dealers can obtain the security codes for a particular vehicle if you are the lawful owner.
* The odometer reading (distance travelled) is memorised in the BSI and the instrument panel. If you connect a second hand BSI with a reading
higher then the one on the instrument, the distance on the instrument will increase to the higher BSI reading as soon as it is connected to the car.
* So beware, a customer would not be happy if his distance suddenly jumped up several thousand kilometres.
* There is one way you can fit a second hand BSI. Use the engine ECU from the same donor car where the BSI came from.
* It would then still be helpful if you can obtain the donor cars 4 digit security code for future programming, and also remember the issue with the distance. The distance reading won't be a problem if the donor car has lower distance then the recipient, the distance in the BSI will then simply go up to the correct distance.
Doggy

Post by Doggy »

RayneR wrote:Why people think the old BSI's didn't had cruise ? Cruise is not enabled in BSI .. is only on ECU ... if you check the eletric wiring, the cruise button on dash is connected directly to ECU ... and yes i know this because a garage nearby me confirmed me that they can programme it on my 406 break from may 2000 , and yes my BSI does not have the " supposed " cruise option ... And it was on a Bosh car service garage and not some freak with a clone PP2000 ...
What you're saying is true, up to a point there are two exceptions:
1. Very early (eg 1999) cars did not have the option - it only became possible when Peugeot started selling HDi's with cruise.
2. Later fully multiplexed cars have to have the comms for the stalks enabled in the BSI

If you connect PP2000 to the various different versions of ecu / BSI, you get very different options.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

leehdi wrote:A 2nd hand BSI CANNOT be recoded to a different car. You need the Engine ECU and transponder as well. You cannot virginise a BSI.
I think that lot's going straight in the Knowledge Base :wink:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.