BSI air con relay replacement.

Knowledge Base Articles

Moderator: Moderators

Malc
2.0 16v

BSI air con relay replacement.

Post by Malc »

Will go for brevity and hope the illustrations speak for themselves.
Relay Ripca 2032 complete with loom and a smidging of soldering expertise required.
Remove and disconnect the BSI and free up all rpt all the plastic lugs (my method as illustrated) and gently prise off the BSI lid.

The relay is directly opposite the middle and lower vent slots and schematic (taken from another site) as shown directly below..

It is essential at this point to test the relay for contact failure before proceeding!!

The next step requires gentleness and patience. Gently push a small screw-driver or similar between the relay and pcb heating the solder terminals at the same time with the soldering iron. Eventually the relay will prise downwards until it is free from the pcb. Once free crush the old relay to remove from the space and clear any remaing debris.

Place the Ripca 2032 relay as shown threading the wires through the hole conveniently provided....

Wire the relay to the solder terminals as shown.

Relay wiring information. I chose this relay as others have a diode across the relay coil which will require wiring to the correct polarity.

Voila air-con up and running as new!!!!
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Re: BSI air con relay replacement.

Post by Doggy »

Very good how to, we'll done. 8)

Never had to do one myself, but if I did, I would certainly opt for mounting it as you have, not bring a soldering maestro.

Do you know whether the original relay had an integrated diode? (If so, you really need to add one to protect the relay driver from the reverse voltage spike de-energising the coil generates).
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
Malc
2.0 16v

Re: BSI air con relay replacement.

Post by Malc »

Doggy thanks for your posting and your comment on driver protection noted.
The original relay (now no longer available) has no diode hence my choice of Ripca 2032. See datasheet pdf from link below.
If my old 50's electrical theory is correct when the relay is de-energised there is a back EMF which delays the action of the relay somewhat and the reason for the diode (when such magical solid state devices came along) is to discharge this back EMF instantly.

http://www.fujitsu.com/us/services/edev ... n010n.html