[ KB ] Routing Wires etc into Passenger Compartment.

Knowledge Base Articles

Moderator: Moderators

niz406
Admin <BR>Turbo God

[ KB ] Routing Wires etc into Passenger Compartment.

Post by niz406 »

OK guys so I thought that instead of keep having to post the information over and over again, I would make an article detailing how to get your power cables or boost gauge pipes into the passenger compartment.

So before we start please ensure that you have the following available:

Torx Screwdriver (20/15)
Panel Popper tool or pair of long nose pliers or side cutters
Drill and Drill bits or some other hole cutting tool
Silicon Sealant if you want to be a perfectionist
Container to put your screws and clips into

Please ensure that the passenger seat is positioned as far back as it will go, this ensures access to the side trim panel screws and also gives more room when lifting the carpet.

Step 1 – Removal of lower Passenger glovebox trim.

There are three panel poppers located at the bottom of the dash where the glovebox resides, prise these out carefully and retain in a safe place. Pull the fibre trim panel forward and remove it from under the dashboard.

The trim slots into two places for support, the kick panel and a white clip on the bulkhead which is attached to a threaded post, you will need to unscrew this white clip so that you may lift the carpet later. Again retain this in a safe place.

Step 2 – Removal of Passenger side kick panel and trim.

This has to be removed to allow the carpet to be lifted for access to the famous grommet that I always talk about. There are three screws and a few clips retaining these panels, two on the side panel and one on the kick panel.

Remove these torx screws, I think they are a number 15 off the top of my head. Then lift the door seal up and manoeuvre the kick panel out and down, it will be clipped in and you may need to use a little force. Be careful not to break the plastic or damage the clips.

Next carefully lift the side trim up and away to release its clips, you are now almost ready to move the carpet and gain access to the grommet, all you need to do is unhook the cables in the kick panel clips.

Prise the clips open and unwind the cables, make sure they are clear and then unscrew the black plastic clips. This allows you to remove the carpet from the kick panel footwell.

Step 3 – Lifting of the Carpet.

Please note that the bulkhead section of the carpet in a 406 is backed by some fibreboard and so you must be gentle as not to damage it, unless you’re like me and just want to get it finished because it’s cold and wet outside.

So here goes, ensure that there are no cables already restricting your access to the bulkhead and then take hold of the carpet at the kick panel and at the bulkhead.. you need to manoeuvre the carpet from the corner out to the centre console.

Believe me it will move and fold where it has to, you just need to be persuasive with it. Once you have the carpet moved you will see a bright glowing light coming from an oval grommet in the bulkhead….. OK so maybe not but you will be happy that it is there and now you can run your cables and pipes properly.

And that about concludes this article, all you need to do now is remove your grommet, make your hole, and run your cable or pipe and use some carpet tape or duck tape to hold it to the bulkhead.

When this is done you can refit the grommet with cable/pipe running through and seal any open areas if you want to, but it is not necessary as no water gets in there. You can now refit the carpet and trim, it’s simply a reversal of the removal.

I hope this helps and good luck.
Niz406
--------
"Some Say he can fart fire, whilst others say he can urinate rocket fuel.... all we know is he's called... The Niz"