Changing Dash Bulbs & Heated Seats

Knowledge Base Articles

Moderator: Moderators

ukharper
1.8 8v

Changing Dash Bulbs & Heated Seats

Post by ukharper »

Hi, How do I take out the instrument cluster to get at the warning light bulbs,without busting any plastic tabs & the like. I see 2 screws on the black facia surround,but what else?

Are Heated seats just on the leather or can you get heated velor seats?Thinking of getting some leather off ebay, but may not if heated velor is possible....
2002 406 2.0HDi GTX Estate
mjb
Site Admin

Re: Changing Dash Bulbs & Heated Seats

Post by mjb »

1) 3 torx screws at the top of the surround facing up.

2) Grab a large flat-head screwdriver and carefully lever out the middle pair of vents.

3) Pull the surround out slightly where you removed the screws, just enough to free the bits that stick out inside around the screws.

4) Open the drivers door and lever out the plastic cover on the side of the dashboard.

5) Stick your hand through the hole and push out the surround from around the vent from inside the dash. May help to lever it from the other side too.

6) Pull the surround out

7) 4 torx screws hold the instrument cluster in - 2 on top and 2 below. Be careful not to lose them.
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
ukharper
1.8 8v

Post by ukharper »

An update....
Took out the instrument panel to check for any bust bulbs/ warning lights not working. Found the engine fault & airbag light sheilds covered over, tested them & are working OK...
...anyway, there are no bulbs in the instrument panel- they seem to be a fixed-in LED type thing. Question is, touch wood they are fine at the moment but how do you go about replacing these?
Tiny Tim
2.0 16v

Post by Tiny Tim »

They wont be fixed in... the bulbs themselves sit inside plastic bases which twist out.. not like a screw.. try turning them about 90 degrees and give it a tug. Once that bit its out, CERFULLY pull the bulb out.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

ukharper wrote:Found the engine fault & airbag light sheilds covered over
You mean, like, covered up so the driver can't see them lit? :?
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
ukharper
1.8 8v

Post by ukharper »

Well, they look like tiny LED`s fixed to the board, unlike the small capless bulbs in the holder you normally get.
Yes, the warning lamps were covered up from the inside. I got into it because I was wondering why they didn`t light up as in the manual. They light up then go out as they should since been uncovered