Adjusting Rebuilt turbo's to fit the 406

Knowledge Base Articles

Moderator: Moderators

niz406
Admin <BR>Turbo God

Adjusting Rebuilt turbo's to fit the 406

Post by niz406 »

You may have purchased a turbo from me or you may have had one rebuilt by someone else and are probably wondering why it doesn't quite line up with the intake pipes, oil pipes or exhaust 100% like it used to, well this is because of misalignment when rebuilding or because the core used in the rebuild was brand new and so no reference marks were available for lining up the compressor cover and/or exhaust housing... This quick guide will describe how you align your turbo prior to fitting..

Step 1) Get under your car with the new turbo and bolt onto the manifold finger tight with the bottom two mounting nuts, roughly connect the exhaust down pipe, then from the top of the car see if the oil / water / charge pipes with connect with the compressor cover / turbo core... if not remove the turbo and proceeed to step 2.

Step 2) Slacken the 4 13mm ( 12mm maybe ) exhaust housing bolts from the turbo using a ring spanner enough to loosen the clamp brackets... using a soft mallett tap the exhaust housing away from the core to break the seal... be carefull and not brutal... we dont want to damage it ! ! !

Go back to the car with your freely rotating exhaust housing and remount using the lower two mounting bolts and follow the same procedure listed in step 1. To lign up all connections turn the turbo core / compressor cover to rotate it in the exhaust housing until everything lines up. now mark the core in relation to the exhaust housing and remove from car, tighten the bolts back up making sure your markings are aligned... tighten as much as you can by hand with the ring spanner.

Your turbo should be ligned up and all connections should be fine, if you still find that the charge pipe doesn't sit quite right, tough lol Just kidding, you should be able to use the flexibility of the rubber hose to get it on and clamped up... if not you will need to remove the exhaust housing completely and with a large pair of circlip pliers and I mean large, remove the circlip that holds the compressor cover to the core... then rotate the cover in the direction required... obviously you can go back to the car and just push on the exhaust houisng and trial fit everything first and adjust then mark the relationships of all 3 items before removing and clamping it all back together.

Once this is set there will be no need to perform this peration again, just make sure that you fit the circlip the correct way on the compressor cover... flat side down, and make sure you tighten the exhaust housing clamping bolts tight... I have had one of these rattle out on me before and they are a pain to do, when the turbo is still on the car ! !
Niz406
--------
"Some Say he can fart fire, whilst others say he can urinate rocket fuel.... all we know is he's called... The Niz"