Drop Links/Link Arms (long with pix)

Knowledge Base Articles

Moderator: Moderators

bangernom1cs
2.0 16v

Drop Links/Link Arms (long with pix)

Post by bangernom1cs »

OK,
I thought I'd show you how I did my 4 link arms today. I do it this way and have successfully carried out
this procedure at least a dozen time on my former D8 and aim to carry on with the D9 esatate.
Starting with the front R/H.
As always very tight nuts were the order of the day.
Looks like the original links were still on the vehicle so around 7 years old.
I know I'll need to do them again within the year as all the speed bumps and victorian Chester streets
take their toll on our cabs!!1
YESTERDAY... I soaked all the nuts in WD40 after wire brushing as much muck away as I could.

Bottom of link ready for action!

Top nut was very tight. In this instance I found that untightening a bit, then retightening before undoing again
worked as the nyloc nut catches then releases all the rust/muck in the threads and saves the allen key rounding off[

Off finally but it also helps if you drop the link gently onto an axle stand to help take up
the slack to give your spanner some grip.

New and old links together. I used QH links

On these links there is a flat which SHOULD I hope make it easier to undo next time as there no allen key hole.

Now the important bit!! The chemical toolbox which will stop muck and rust forming in the new threads of the links
Best done now whilst theyre new and clean.
Yes the Marina's mine also. Think I'll coat entire car in the stuff!!

Believe you me this makes it all the easier next time and makes the job last minutes not hours!

The more the merrier

Front link done. Note the lack of allen fitting on this QH part. The grease and the flats should be OK
for removal in a few months.
The same process repeated on the bottom of the link also.

I hope this gives some help to you.
Rear links shortly!

Tony
Last edited by steve_earwig on Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Pics moved to imgur
mjb
Site Admin

Re: Link Arms (long with pix)

Post by mjb »

Great posts mate, moved to ye olde knowledgebase. Can you check the 2nd image on this one please?
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang