Sill seals & waxoyling etc

Knowledge Base Articles

Moderator: Moderators

bangernom1cs
2.0 16v

Sill seals & waxoyling etc

Post by bangernom1cs »

HI,

Upon cleaning I noticed once again that the darling public have kicked my sill seals to bits again.
Big boots, heels and alcohol don't do the car any good!

What your left with is this,

Generally a pair of pliers pulled back sharply releases the offending 'hog clip'.
Or sometimes you just don't grip it enough so you have to push the broken bit of the clip inwards with a small drift.

Now's a good time to get in with the waxoyl or substitute aerosol. If you get one with a small nozzle then it make life easy.
Give it a good wiggle around in a circular motion and you should coat most of inner surfaces of the outer sill.
Gravity will send it down into the lowest part of the sill.

The clips you can readily get from ebay or the stealers cheaply.
The problem is ...they're extremely thin at the 90 degree joint so the break all to often.

The opposite side about to go....but a slip or trip risk for me as I don't want the council putting me off the road,
or Claims direct getting their claws into me either.

Whilst you're there, its worth just slipping a squirt or two up the door drain holes also.
I've never seen a 406 with rusty doors but having had other cars go its worth thinking about.
I don't want the sills going like the ''sloshing sills'' thread on here.

Ive not drilled the drain holes as yet as I'm going to investigate this further having seen that none of
the sealant came out of the jacking point holes like it should have done.

Hope this helps anyone. only took about 10 mins to do but might save an expensive bill later.
Tony
omega
3.0 24v

Re: Sill seals & waxoyling etc

Post by omega »

thats a very good idea mine has fallen of as well would never have thought off the underseal,where did you get the clips from?
bangernom1cs
2.0 16v

Post by bangernom1cs »

I got the clips ages ago from ebay when I bought the car as I knew that they'd go and they only cost a couple of quid .
The sealant is just bog standard wax sealant which is runny for a few minutes and then seems to 'gel'.
To be fair, my car has the door lights which illuminate the area and has lessened the problem to a degree.
But it still inevitably happens. I read that some put silicone seal on the clips but it woldn't work for me as the
weakness in the clip is on the out side of the sill and that would cause more problems for me when they go.
A friend did away with his seals altogether and taped up the holes with black duck tape along the entire sill to seal the holes.
It also meant washing that area much more frequently too. I did the same trick with my last D8 also.
But I do see lots of 406's with duck tape and even evo stik where people have tried to remedy the stuation
which look awful tbh.

T
hammerman
2.0 Turbo

Post by hammerman »

£1.66 +£1.00 p&p off ebay for a pack of 20.Just brought some.
I had water in my sills a few months ago(before i found this forum)After a lot of searching i found the drain holes were blocked.I workin quarrys & sometimes if the roads are smooth enough i`ll drive in to my digger.Over the years the drain holes had got blocked with mud etc.My seal clips are broken to that was where the water was coming in.Will get this fixed now with the new clips :D .
I`m just glad all the little problems with my 406 are not just on my car :cheesy:
2003 Hdi Est SE
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Oh, I couldn't be asked to do a How To 'cos nobody seemed interested :( Very important though, did you find the real drain holes yet?

I've been trawling through the clips and fastenings catalogue at my mate's car spares shop in the hope I can find something a bit more substantial to hold the strips on, I'll post if I find something. The real deal are necked so they break real easy. Btw, rather than evilbay ('cos I know some people that have a fobia :P ) they're pennies from the stealer too. You need 18-a-side but it won't hurt to have some spares.

Ooh, Waxoyl in a can with a tube! I had enough trouble finding it in a can here but I couldn't find a tubed nozzle that'd fit it :frown:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
EvilTwin
1.8 16v

Post by EvilTwin »

Just did this job this weekend, clips were about £1.40 from the dealers for a pack of 20

Well worth it to stop the wife poking at them every time she gets in.
'02 406 2.0 HDi Rapier Estate, now with added cruise control!