Air Con-fusion

Knowledge Base Articles

Moderator: Moderators

mjb
Site Admin

Re: Air Con-fusion

Post by mjb »

dogslife wrote:Still a bit unsure the climate bit's delivering according to plan though. What's the normal behaviour?
I imagine if you start up on a real hot day, with the set temp. on say 20 deg., a/c should cut in & fan run at high speed initially, but what does it do as the inside temp. approaches set value? Does the fan speed drop? Does the compressor cycle in & out and if it does, does the A/C symbol of the display remain on?
D8: The A/C symbol means A/C is forced on. Eco means it's forced off. Auto means it's in automatic mode
D9: A/C means it's on auto, no A/C means it's forced off. There's no forced on.

On a hot day, automatic mode:
D8: The fan blows at minimum speed and the compressor engages. Once the A/C is cool enough it'll blast out until the cabin's near the target temperature, at which point it'll slow the blower down and cycle the compressor on and off to maintain a comfortable humidity and temperature.

D9: The compressor engages, and the fan blows at full pelt for a couple of seconds then slows down. Once the A/C is cool enough it'll blast out and follow the same procedure as D8s.

The climate control will also operate the recirc flap as necessary to get to the desired temperature as quickly as possible. On hot days I''m sure it has recirc off for a while, then closes the flap for a bit while it re-cools the recirculated air. It does this on extremely cold days too. This paragraph may be wrong :oops:
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Ah! Thanks, Matt - explains a lot, like the odd noise I heard initially is probably the combination of recirc on & fan on full speed :?
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
lofty
2.2 16v

Post by lofty »

dogslife wrote:Well the Condenser's done & Doggy's got aircon :D

But unfortunately not climate :cry:

Turned the set temp up to 24 & it still blows cold. Now Im sure I read somewhere on here about the interior temp sensor / fan in the overhead console, so I had a butchers:
There's the air inlet...
& there's the fan jammed up with dust. Note the bead thermistor that senses the temp. in front of the impeller...
Utilise Doggy's patented sensor service kit, (I couldn't find a straw so blew it out peashooter style with a stripped down Bic biro). Here it is nice & clean and it works! :D
Thinking I'm on a roll here, I'll just replace the failed middle lamp behind the MFD. Out it comes, swaps lamp and hey presto....
The r/h one's gone :evil:
(Before you all tell me, I was gonna swap all three, but the nice man from Peugeot only had 2, so I bought 1) :roll:
Now I know what the MF in MFD stands for :x
Doggy - your my hero! LOL

My ac is the same as yours, ice cold, in fact getting too cold at times. Im gonna have a good diddle about with your patanted straw/bic biro blowing method tonight!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2001 D9 406 Hdi 90bhp Rapier Estate - Platinum Silver
1999 306 GTi-6 Weekend Toy- Astor Grey
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

TehAgent wrote:Im not going to put the location up, unless im allowed to do so,
Why wouldn't you be allowed to?
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang