Server Migration - Part Deux

We tell you what we're doing, you tell us what we're doing good or bad.

Moderator: Moderators

nick
Site Admin

Server Migration - Part Deux

Post by nick »

Thanks to this little thing https://406oc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=25862 I've just noticed a few other issues around here.

One of the big ones is that the site has reached the hosts capacity and is causing all sorts of issues. The server's disk is so full it hasn't been logging everything correctly. I've taken some quick steps to get it fixed but they're temporary fixes.

Part of those fixes involved removing everyones posted photos - not permanently - just as a quick fix. I've got them all saved and they will be put back soon.

There are two ways to fix this.

1) Upgrade the current server

2) Move to a bigger server.

Option 1 is the easiest. It's a few clicks and it's golden, however it's also the most expensive option. I managed to get a decent deal on hosting a while back and any changes to the contract will cancel the deal and it'll end up prohibitively expensive.

Option 2 is a quick server migration. We've been through it a few time before and I've got it down a fine art now. I've already sourced a host and have secured 3 years of hosting - which the existing ad revenue from the site will cover (as small as it is!).

Everything is prepped or is being prepped. No host is set up with new hardware, the latest software, and phpBB has been tested to death on there.

I've set the TTL for the A records to 1 minute so DNS shouldn't take too long to propagate.

This site will be put in a read only maintenance mode and the final DB backup taken, transferred to the new site, uploaded and set live.

New SSL certificates will be generated and old ones revoked.

The DNS will then be changed.

I'll find a quiet time window and do the changeover then - and I'll announce it down below.

On a related note I need to start longer term thinking of what will happen to the 406oc.co.uk site. With less and less people driving them the forums becoming quieter and quieter. Facebook seems to have stolen quite a bit of thunder and as much as some people hate it they have found a home on the 406 community pages.

I have no intention of closing the site - there's a wealth of knowledge and years of chats on here and I don't think that should be taken away from anyone - however I have to be realistic as something that costs me money to run.

I'll have a think and will gladly take feedback on board but the site is safe for a few years at least!
Thanks,
Nick
DaiRees wrote:I got the "premium" standard fit system in mine, 10 speakers, changer, JBL amp. I'm quite happy with it for listening to the radio / CDs or my "teach yourself Welsh" stuff on the way to work :lol:
nick
Site Admin

Re: Server Migration - Part Deux

Post by nick »

** Reserved for update **
Thanks,
Nick
DaiRees wrote:I got the "premium" standard fit system in mine, 10 speakers, changer, JBL amp. I'm quite happy with it for listening to the radio / CDs or my "teach yourself Welsh" stuff on the way to work :lol:
frog
2.0 Turbo

Re: Server Migration - Part Deux

Post by frog »

Thanks Nick! If it weren't for you, our family car would have been trashed long ago. Thanks for keeping up the good work on this forum! :)
Current "fleet":
2003 406 Estate 2.0HDi 110 - 7 seater - just hit 690.000 kms :cheesy:
2001 Citroen Saxo 1.6i 8v 100

Previously owned:
2000 406 Sedan 2.0 HDi 90
2000 406 Coupé 2.0i 16v 138 - Riviera Blue

PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Netherlands.