Radio issues

Welcome to the 406 Owners Club (406oc.co.uk and pug406.co.uk). If you havn't registered, you can post in here, and find out what the site is all about!

Moderator: Moderators

SteveP

Radio issues

Post by SteveP »

Hi there all,
I have an odd issue with my new (to me) 406. The radio reception can be a bit 'iffy' as I travel around so I decided to investigate the aerial.
Somewhat to my surprise I got NO continuity (with my multi-meter) between the aerial connection (inside the interior light fitting) and the the connection to the back of the radio.
I did these checks very thoroughly and had the cable disconnected from the external aerial and radio as I tested it.

I also checked that the central 'signal' core was not shorted to the bodywork/earth

There is no obvious damage to the cable and no corrosion at the aerial fixing point so my only thought is that perhaps there is an aerial amp somewhere between the radio and aerial?

So, before I go ripping the dash apart to check for this amp and/or cable break can anyone shed any light on this odd issue?

Also does anyone know which side of the windscreen the aerial cable is routed (my guess is the left!)

Thanks in advance, Steve P
PeterN
3.0 24v

Re: Radio issues

Post by PeterN »

Connect a few feet of wire to the centre of the aerial plug and see how it works, if its better that will prove that its an aerial fault. if there is a capacitor connected in the system somewhere it will read open circuit but I can't remember from mine.

Is your aerial at the front or the back of the car? The rear mounted ones have a pre amp in the circuit, that will cause it to read o/c or at least a high resistance.

Otherwise you must have a break in the cable somewhere.

Peter
SivestonHate

Re: Radio issues

Post by SivestonHate »

PeterN wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:35 pm Connect a few feet of wire to the centre of the aerial plug and see how it works, if its better that will prove that its an aerial fault. if there is a capacitor connected in the system somewhere it will read open circuit but I can't remember from mine.

Is your aerial at the front or the back of the car? The rear mounted ones have a pre amp in the circuit, that will cause it to read o/c or at least a high resistance.

Otherwise you must have a break in the cable somewhere.

Peter
Thanks for your useful advice, I was facing the same radio issue.
And I follow same as you said and my issue is resolved. Thanks again.