Hello and first queries

Welcome to the 406 Owners Club (406oc.co.uk and pug406.co.uk). If you havn't registered, you can post in here, and find out what the site is all about!

Moderator: Moderators

pigboy306
1.8 16v

Hello and first queries

Post by pigboy306 »

Well got my first 406 today 2.0l HDi 90HP LX Estate . I have owned 2 peugeots, 306 2.0L HDI SW (brilliant car wish i still had it) and 3072.0L HDI 90HP which is the wifes run around. I got this 406 after the Megane Cabriolet I owned since September spontaneously combusted , well that was a write off. So we thought we would get something which has some space for all the camping gear with the children. The 406 fits the bill with that huge boot. I know the HDi engines are spot on with two previous ownerships and the engines not needing anything apart from oil changes every 12000miles.
So I found one on Ebay brought for 1185 and picked up today. Well its a bit more dented than i hoped for, but had 70,000 miles and 12 months MOT. Couple of things i noted, I have one remote locking key which doesnt work and the master key with no buttons, at first these just twisted in the lock, but a search on here led me to a WD40 fix, which hopefully has worked.
The petrol flap doesnt spring open ( no spring sited behind the flap should there be one?)
The electrics all work which is great.
The wife informed me of puffs of black smoke on accelerating following me home, I got to 80 MPH on the M-Way no problems , I have read about blocked injectors, but is there a checklist from simplest to hardest to check before i start to work on those.

Oh and Hi... I'll expect i'll be back regularly
omega
3.0 24v

Re: Hello and first queries

Post by omega »

hi welcome
fuel flap
this is well documented but when you open the flap you will see 4 screws round the fuel filler.undo one of them and trap a small spring behind one so the spring rests against the flap[a spring from a clothes peg is ideal]
wouldnt worry about the smoke unless you are leaving a smoke screen.
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Hello & welcome. 8)

Probably worth doing the air & fuel filters unless you're certain they've been done recently.

Make sure the cambelt's been done too - due every 72k, but also every 5 years.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
pigboy306
1.8 16v

Post by pigboy306 »

Another one... I have no remote unlocking keys , anyone know a cheap place to get some.
I was at the locksmith in Bromsgrove yesterday and they want £140 for a new key cut seem very expensive! So i saw this EBAY Key but i was told by the same key smith you can't reprogramme the keys, is it achievable at home(not the key cuting) but the programming of the remote and getting a key cut with the program on?

Cambelt was on to do list car came with no history (hope that mileage is genuine!) expensive preventative measure , more expensive cure!
pigboy306
1.8 16v

Post by pigboy306 »

Doggy wrote:Hello & welcome. 8)

Probably worth doing the air & fuel filters unless you're certain they've been done recently.

Make sure the cambelt's been done too - due every 72k, but also every 5 years.
Well the car has gone for the cam belt change today... The mechanic had to cut the under tray bolts off as they were seized, which makes me suspect the oil hasn't been changed in a while.

I was informed the cam belt was on its last legs and loose, the water pump had two fins missing.

I have the oil filter so that's next on the list as is the air and fuel filters, then perhaps its happy motoring for a while?
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

You don't have to take the under-tray off to do the oil change, you can let the oil run off the back of the tray (it's not that far). The under-tray fixings are always in a mess, they're rubbish and best assisted with big washers/tie-wraps etc. I fashioned an incredible assortment of fixings and had no trouble........then the mechanic cut them all off and made his own.........the tray was gone within a few weeks, I mean properly gone - I still miss it to this day :cry: :cry:

I wouldn't worry about black smoke unless it's really chugging out. There's no particle filter so smoke will be more visible, things like leaking turbo hoses, EGR valves, carbon build-up can all lead to more smoke but see if it settles down after a small service.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
pigboy306
1.8 16v

Post by pigboy306 »

I would believe the oil had been changed if the rim of the filter wasnt rusty and there was evidence of oil on the under tray.

Oh on the undertray theme mine is a 2000 and i have only ever seen these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-Peuge ... 970wt_1163 but mine had a bolt and captive nut, is that correct?
martinr

Post by martinr »

try driving vehicle hard through all gears after adding a cleaning additive. This is a comon fix pre-mot as carbon builds up in the exhaust due to echonomical driving. The cars behind you may have an interesting journey MartinR
rwb
3.0 24v

Post by rwb »

:shock: that was a narrow escape with the cam belt and water pump :shock:

+1 on a set of filters

I recommend Wynns diesel injector cleaner. You can get it quite cheaply on eBay. One bottle into a quarter of a tank then take it for a long Italian tune-up

Current: 407 2.2 HDi 170 & C6 2.7 HDi.
Former: 406 1.9 TD; 406 HDi 90; 407 2.2 160; 307cc 180; 508 HDi 140.
Map of PeugeotForums users offering PP2k