Collecting 406 on Saturday

Welcome to the 406 Owners Club (406oc.co.uk and pug406.co.uk). If you havn't registered, you can post in here, and find out what the site is all about!

Moderator: Moderators

Mackie

Collecting 406 on Saturday

Post by Mackie »

Evening All . . .

I am going to buy a 406 LX 1.8 on Saturday morning and was wondering if there was any tips you guys could give me on what to look out for to make sure i don't buy a heap !!!!

The car is S reg and has done 113000 miles, has had the following all replaced in the last twelve months ...

Clutch
Cambelt
Driveshaft
Pads
Discs

Is there anything else that is particular to 406's that I should be looking out for ?

Any help much appreciated and look forward to posting on here in the not too distant future !

Thanks,

Mackie
Captain Jack
3.0 24v

Post by Captain Jack »

Make sure that ALL electrics work. They are a nightmare on French cars when they go wrong...
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Re: Collecting 406 on Saturday

Post by Welly »

Mackie wrote: Is there anything else that is particular to 406's that I should be looking out for ?
Radiator, check for signs of corrosion.

(welcome :D )
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
Mackie

Post by Mackie »

Cheers for that...

Picking it up at nine tomorrow so fingers crossed, will make sure electrics are okay and that radiator is all alright.

Thanks for your help.

Mackie
niz406
Admin <BR>Turbo God

Post by niz406 »

Its had all that done and only covered 113000 miles ! ! OMG ! ! !

Does it have a tow bar fitted ? If so stay clear... I can't believe its had a clutch and a driveshaft at that mileage ! Cambelt yes.. of course, but clutch and driveshaft fook me that things been ragged about a bit !!
Niz406
--------
"Some Say he can fart fire, whilst others say he can urinate rocket fuel.... all we know is he's called... The Niz"
jameslxdt
3.0 24v

Post by jameslxdt »

niz406 wrote:Its had all that done and only covered 113000 miles ! ! OMG ! ! !

Does it have a tow bar fitted ? If so stay clear... I can't believe its had a clutch and a driveshaft at that mileage ! Cambelt yes.. of course, but clutch and driveshaft fook me that things been ragged about a bit !!
as niz says avoid 406's used for towing, the clutch suffers badly,
but if its had a clutch and driveshaft it could be a sign of a crap garage maintaining the car or an animal owner as these rarely wear out this soon
Peugeot wrote:what are you worried about? we made car that lasted 10 years"..."Zat is very goode non? :|
FAQ - 406 D8 petrol (excl. V6) running and starting problems
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

*lowers bottom lip*

I only found the remnants of a tow bar after I bought the car :cry:

It was removed, but still had some of the bracketry left, I never spotted it.

My clutch is slipping at 110,000 miles.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
Mackie

Update . . .

Post by Mackie »

Well,

Picked it up this morning, managed to get it for £940...

Took it straight to a mate of mine who is a mechanic and apart from needing a couple of new tyres at some stage in the next six months it checked out okay !!!!

Have got the receipts and it has had a new cambelt at 72000 (Not sure how long these last in 406's)

New clutch 8000 miles ago and new driveshaft at the same time ...

There appears to be a small "bodge" job on the exhaust (Not the CAT part thank god).

It does appear a bit sluggish so have chucked some Redex in and intend to give it a bit of a blast on the A21 tomorrow to see what it can do.

Overall though a good buy and impressed with my first Peugeot !!!!

Thanks for the input everyone, will be registering on here in the next half hour !!!!
Captain Jack
3.0 24v

Post by Captain Jack »

Glad to hear everything is OK. 1.8L 406's aren't the quickest things out there though, but hopefully some Redex will clean out all the crap for more powah!
Mackie

Post by Mackie »

Well ,

The Redex and good blast seems to have sorted everything out now !.

It's got a bit more "Umph" now and i'm very happy with it.