New owner of Executive.

Welcome to the 406 Owners Club (406oc.co.uk and pug406.co.uk). If you havn't registered, you can post in here, and find out what the site is all about!

Moderator: Moderators

Contigo
1.8 8v

New owner of Executive.

Post by Contigo »

Hi All

New owner of a Pug 406 2.0T Executive here! My Uncle had owned from new (1996) and could not bring himself to scrap the motor so he gave it to me and I collected it today. 200 mile journey just completed in it after collection and all is good.

It's a D8 model (P reg) and I'm pleasantly surprised with the drive.

Pulls a little at higher speed and a judder over 80 Leptons. Nothing a nice alignment won't sort out.
Cig lighter doesn't work so that's my next task, check fuse and clean etc...

Well there's my story!

Phil
Contigo
1.8 8v

Re: New owner of Executive.

Post by Contigo »

The cig lighter was the fuse, swapped it with number 5 and it worked!
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Hi Phil & welcome to the forum. 8)

PS I don't get the 'leptons' bit - that where you get your tea bags?
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
jonsowman
3.0 24v

Post by jonsowman »

Welcome! Cig lighter is probably just the fuse :)
2002 V6 SE Coupé (210bhp) - (Aegean Blue)
2002 D9 2.2 HDi Exec Estate - Samarkand Blue
PM me for PP2000 diagnostics around Surrey
Ares
3.0 24v

Post by Ares »

Congrats on your car & welcome to the forum mate
Contigo
1.8 8v

Post by Contigo »

Doggy wrote:Hi Phil & welcome to the forum. 8)

PS I don't get the 'leptons' bit - that where you get your tea bags?
Ok the Leptons thing is from Pistonheads (car forums) where I also post and we refer to Lepton instead of MPH as it's safer than saying I was doing 140MPH etc.... where let's face it you never know what can happen with declarations like that.

I also own an M5 touring and this Pug is my new "Snotter" as I like to be able to park a car anywhere without fear of a scratch which I just can't do on the Bimmer :D
Contigo
1.8 8v

Post by Contigo »

Thanks for the welcome guys, It seems a friendly place!

Jobs for today on the car

1) Remove the god awful pin code entry that my uncle used every day. Is someone actually going to try and nick one of these in this day and age? :D
2) Try to work out why both the memory seat and mirrors don't work. The electric seats function fine but I cannot program them or even move the mirrors so will check the fuse F10 (30A)
3) Try and determine why the heated seats don't work.
4) Wonder if it's worth replacing the whole digital clock because the bulb is not working and I removed the unit and the bulb holder disintegrated in my hand lol

Now it seems all of the above (or most) are common problems on the 406. It's more than likely that the seat elements are toast! Does anyone know which connector block to disconnect to check for 12V with the engine running? I would assume red but there are a number of orange/red connectors coming off the loom.

Thanks in advance
Contigo
1.8 8v

Post by Contigo »

Update

1) Disabled the manual mode but when I come to start using the key it doesn't start. So it seems that I cannot disable the use of this archaic confidential pin start! Oh well just got to change the code to something I remember.
2) Checked fuse and was fine. Definitely something to keep investigating then.
3) Still need more info from the clever people on this forum
4) Ebay here I come!
gumby6371
3.0 24v

Post by gumby6371 »

Hi mate,

Disconnecting the key pad with the engine running shuts down the need for a pin code and the clocks are the sort of thing that fits in your pocket at the breakers, I had exactly the same disintegrating plastic on mine, ended up stripping to bad one to make a good one.

Congrats on the new motor and you'll soon be binning the bimmer when you realise what a nice place to be the 406 is :cheesy:
1996 1.9 TD LX (Gone but not forgotten)
2003 2.2 HDI SE
Contigo
1.8 8v

Post by Contigo »

gumby6371 wrote:Hi mate,

Disconnecting the key pad with the engine running shuts down the need for a pin code and the clocks are the sort of thing that fits in your pocket at the breakers, I had exactly the same disintegrating plastic on mine, ended up stripping to bad one to make a good one.

Congrats on the new motor and you'll soon be binning the bimmer when you realise what a nice place to be the 406 is :cheesy:
Tried the usual, switch ignition on, enter pin, when green light enter C1C and it bleeped four times indicating it was now disabled. Locked car up went inside, came out few minutes later and opened with remote key and tried starting and it failed to start, had to enter pin manually to get it to start. Tried with engine running as you say but it won't let me enter as the keypad is disabled after starting the engine.
Contigo
1.8 8v

Post by Contigo »

Looking at replacing the 406 with a 407 Executive HDi but really struggling to find one out there as everyone realises just how good value for money they are!
rwb
3.0 24v

Post by rwb »

The 407 trim levels are:: S, SE, SV, SR, X-Line, Zenith, Sport, GT, and Exec

IIRC the X-Line and Zenith do not have a DPF on the 2.0 diesel.

What's so special about Exec? From my experience with the 406 what you actually get depends also on the year and the luck-of-the draw. I just look at each 407 case by case, although I avoid the S since they seem to have steel wheels and a poverty interior.

Current: 407 2.2 HDi 170 & C6 2.7 HDi.
Former: 406 1.9 TD; 406 HDi 90; 407 2.2 160; 307cc 180; 508 HDi 140.
Map of PeugeotForums users offering PP2k