I never expected this!

Welcome to the 406 Owners Club (406oc.co.uk and pug406.co.uk). If you havn't registered, you can post in here, and find out what the site is all about!

Moderator: Moderators

eddyramrod

I never expected this!

Post by eddyramrod »

...And I'm delighted. I didn't imagine the 406 was either old enough or exciting enough to have a whole forum of its own, but it seems I was wrong. I look forward to enjoying my time here.

My name's Eddy, I live in the Lake District (well on the edge of it, at least) and I own a 406. I bought it by accident almost, as an emergency-replacement. I'd have bought literally anything that was available immediately, road-legal, and the right price. Even a grey diesel Golf, which shows you just how desperate I was! However, one of the dealers I approached happened to have this hiding behind the gate. MoT and tax still valid and I could have it for not much more than scrap value, so I grabbed it. So what have I bought?
This was the first pic, on the afternoon I brought it home (as much as a mile, lol) in January. It's a 1996 P 2.0 GLX in Nordic Green, manual with towbar, aircon and an aftermarket Pioneer stereo. I've washed it since; well took it down the road to Sergei's Shiny Suds anyway. You can see it had no prep from the dealer at all! I pressed it into daily service immediately, as I drive a bakery van so I need to be able to get there at silly o'clock in the morning. It started letting me down, which was only an issue the first time as it was unexpected: either the starter or solenoid was sticking. A few taps with a hammer handle soon gets it going. However these occasions were increasing in frequency, so I finally spent some cash last week and picked up a used 306 starter. I'm glad I had a handy garage fit it! Why would one put the starter in such a ridiculous place, way up under the inlet tracts? Anyway, it starts much better now. I have no idea when the cambelt was last changed, so next week the garage is going to have a look at that, and change it if it looks old. I can see me getting at least one more MoT out of this... which considering I bought it as a scrapper, isn't bad. I'm also taking it on a Euro road trip in a few weeks! Well I have to, it's the only car I own at the moment! I'm enjoying it. It drives very well overall (been up the coast one afternoon) and is very comfy on my little commute.

I've always had old cars. I'm used to them being noisy, draughty, leaky, feeble, unreliable... all before their tenth birthday. This is 17 years old and is none of the above. It's almost refreshing!
rwb
3.0 24v

Re: I never expected this!

Post by rwb »

Hi & welcome.

Current: 407 2.2 HDi 170 & C6 2.7 HDi.
Former: 406 1.9 TD; 406 HDi 90; 407 2.2 160; 307cc 180; 508 HDi 140.
Map of PeugeotForums users offering PP2k
Ares
3.0 24v

Post by Ares »

Hi & Welcome to the forum Eddy.
Ofcourse 406 has its own forum,this is,at least by my choice,the most beautifull peugeot of them all,not too boxy or too round.
drives very well,handles perfect.

Lovely car you bought yourself mate,post some pics of interior.
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Hi Eddy & welcome aboard. 8)

Lake district sounds nice - how many of us can you put up?
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
eddyramrod

Post by eddyramrod »

Doggy :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: In round figures? The roundest figure of the lot, zero. Two bedrooms, only one of which has a bed in it. The other is my office/model workshop, so is filled with desks, books and model cars. The rest of the house is something of a jumble as we only moved in six months ago and I'm DIYing.
Interior pics? I guess I need to shoot some....

However! I'm hosting an event for members of another forum (www.autoshite.com) and guests, Sunday April 14th; any 406 types who want to join in will be welcome. There's a breakfast meet by the sea, then we move on to the Lakeland Motor Museum in time for lunch.

Thanks for the welcomes. :)
jonsowman
3.0 24v

Post by jonsowman »

Hello and welcome :)

Always nice to see the "I bought this to get me around for a month and ended up keeping because xyz" stories. Glad it's serving you well (mostly!).
2002 V6 SE Coupé (210bhp) - (Aegean Blue)
2002 D9 2.2 HDi Exec Estate - Samarkand Blue
PM me for PP2000 diagnostics around Surrey
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Hello Eddy, welcome to the forum.

I too bought my Red 406 estate as it was a bargain stop-gap - kept it for 3 years and only replaced it with a slightly newer and higher spec 406..!!

You will find - like me - that this forum has the answer to pretty much any question you may have regarding your car, it has saved me a lot of time and money so far....

Nice to see an early Metro next door too.

Kelv.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

It's hard to believe the early 406's are 17 years old :shock:

You don't see many Vectras or Mondeo's of that era :|

The 2.0 petrol was actually a lucky buy for you as it is supremely reliable! (starter motor excepted) but overall they are very good and will easily do over 200,000 miles. They will also take a lack of servicing very well; missed or no oil changes don't seem to affect them - one guy on here ran his 2.0 turbo petrol for over 40,000 miles without changing the oil and it was spot on :mrgreen:
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
Captain Jack
3.0 24v

Post by Captain Jack »

Welly wrote:one guy on here ran his 2.0 turbo petrol for over 40,000 miles without changing the oil and it was spot on :mrgreen:
Yeah, where is mjb these days?
2003 - 2008: 1998 Peugeot 406 2.1 TD 110bhp LX Saloon
2008 - 2009: 2004 Honda Accord 2.2 CDTI 136bhp Executive Saloon
2009 - 2013: 2002 Peugeot 406 2.0 HDI 110bhp Executive Saloon
2013 - 2021: 2007 Peugeot 407 2.2 HDI 170bhp Executive Saloon (mapped to 213bhp :twisted:)
2021 - ????: 2016 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi 180bhp Titanium
puggy
Resident Pervert

Post by puggy »

Welcome Eddy hope you enjoy the forum :)

model workshop ?? is that like for photographing girlie models :twisted:
.. ooh are those drugs for me Matron
Captain Jack
3.0 24v

Post by Captain Jack »

:roll: Run, Eddy. You have no idea what you stumbled upon here....
2003 - 2008: 1998 Peugeot 406 2.1 TD 110bhp LX Saloon
2008 - 2009: 2004 Honda Accord 2.2 CDTI 136bhp Executive Saloon
2009 - 2013: 2002 Peugeot 406 2.0 HDI 110bhp Executive Saloon
2013 - 2021: 2007 Peugeot 407 2.2 HDI 170bhp Executive Saloon (mapped to 213bhp :twisted:)
2021 - ????: 2016 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi 180bhp Titanium
eddyramrod

Post by eddyramrod »

GingerMagic wrote:Nice to see an early Metro next door too.

Kelv.
Well spotted sir! That was mine, I bought the 406 so I could retire the Metro from daily use. It wasn't accustomed to such activity, and was suffering. It had covered a gentle 16,500 miles in the 29 years between being exported new to Cyprus and me buying it last summer. Quite a lot of that time had been spent hiding in garages, as it was owned by a succession of old blokes who died and left it to family members who didn't use it. Oh and did you notice it's the hen's-teeth-rare Morris van version? With a 1275... When we left Cyprus in September we brought the Metro with us, and a 1972 Ford Granada. I've now sold both of them, so all I've got at the moment is my scrap-value stopgap!
Alberto
2.2 16v

Post by Alberto »

hi and welcome

you said model cars? sounds like a colleague to me :)

can you please tell more about?
eddyramrod

Post by eddyramrod »

Hi Alberto...
On the model front then: all my life really, I've collected model cars, starting with the assortment of Corgi/Dinky/Matchbox that my parents bought for their little fella. They really started something. I think I have something like 1500 or so now. :shock: Not all are diecasts, although I do have a huge number of them. I also built Airfix models from very young, and graduated to American 1/24 (/25) scale kits in my teens. I've still got many of those, in various states of disrepair, and a load of unbuilt. I try not to buy new diecasts, although I will make an exception for 1/18 scale American cars. Occasionally! I can be found at car boot sales, digging in the rummage box under the table, pulling out handfuls of 10p restoration projects. Sometimes they even get restored! Often they will be made to resemble a car from a film or TV, for example the Corgi Juniors Volvo 245 makes a perfectly adequate model of the blue 245 used by David Jason as Inspector Frost. I rather like working in the smaller scales, as a lot of inaccuracies can be hidden... I also have many models of cars I've owned, or family members have owned. Again, some have been remodelled from something else. I've never seen a model of a mk2 Cortina with four doors, for example, but that's what my father bought new in 1967 (his last brand new car). But, a little remodelling of the old Matchbox casting, a coat of maroon paint, and there y'go, job done.
A large part of my collection consists of American police cars, and is expanding with contributions from other countries now. The last new arrival for that section was a 1/43 Lada...

406 news: I did finally get the cambelt done, after several false starts. At the Autoshite event, the back box fell off! That was dealt with at the same time as the cambelt, so now I have a car I'd happily drive anywhere. It's just a shame it'll have to go, really. I'm looking for something higher so my wife can get in and out more easily. For me, it'll also need to be automatic and have the biggest petrol engine I can get. :wink:
Alberto
2.2 16v

Post by Alberto »

hi,well my collection a bit different,i collect 1:43 die cast models,old and new..any brands any makes,lorrys busses police cars as well, click on my welcome thread viewtopic.php?f=17&t=17637

is there any chance to see your display please?

do you know about Barry Potters toy fairs around the uk? the place you must visit mate