New 406 Owner.. with problems :(

Welcome to the 406 Owners Club (406oc.co.uk and pug406.co.uk). If you havn't registered, you can post in here, and find out what the site is all about!

Moderator: Moderators

zowow

New 406 Owner.. with problems :(

Post by zowow »

Hey All,

I'm James and I'm from Swindon - I'm not new to the world of 406's as I have previously owned a 406 SRi Turbo (when it was a couple of years old) and a 2.0 406 Coupe.
I recently decided to take the plunge and buy myself another! and i've now got a silver 406 Coupe 2.2hdi with black leather interior.

Unfortunately, it broke down on the way home buying it and I was severely conned - none of the electrics worked properly and upon getting home the crank pulley decided to destroy itself (luckily with no attached problems). In the end I put it in for the pulley and a full cambelt (ouch!)

Pretty immanently, I need to do the following to her:

-Replace front bumper (massive crack in mine)
-Replace the towing eye (as it snapped in half, was previously bent lol)
-Find a remote so I can set the clock
-Fix the satnav cd unit as it keeps telling me theres no cd/can't read cd
-Fix the passenger seat (just keeps clicking over and over and draining the battery)
-Fix the drivers seat handle (seat doesn't fold back)
-Replace the satnav/computer screen as it's damaged
-Remove the DPF (Dreaded FAP/DPF faults have started to appear on screen)
-Find a mapfile and purchase the galetto tool
-Fix my squeeky brembos

On a plus point, the aircon works lovely as do the heated seats which seems to be a rarity!

If anyone can help me with any of the above or has any suggestions to resolve, i'd be very greatful! :)

Thanks in advance for the welcome :lol:
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: New 406 Owner.. with problems :(

Post by steve_earwig »

Hi there, welcome indeed :cheesy:

Wot, you didn't look at it first or was it an ebay "bargain"? :evil:

Umm, none of that looks particularly tricky, replacing the display might be the biggest issue as I think decent fully working ones are getting rare. What you really need to do is get yourself onto the coupé club forums ( http://www.406coupeclub.org/PHPBB3/index.php ) so you can pick their brains over the seat controls and rebuilding the squeakers and seek out their resident (mostly) coupé breaker Ade1122 for stuff like the bumper, display and remote. We do have some knowledgeable chaps for defapping and remapping but for the coupe-specific stuff you'd be better off over there.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Ares
3.0 24v

Post by Ares »

Welcome to the forum James,i agree with Steve,that would be the best for you,altought here is some pretty large knowledge base concerning 406
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

zowow wrote: upon getting home the crank pulley decided to destroy itself (luckily with no attached problems). In the end I put it in for the pulley and a full cambelt (ouch!)
There's no way of predicting when those pulleys will die - there's rarely any prior warning (apart from on the V6 where a failure just causes the aux belt to slip) although I've seen and heard of an awful lot of them dying in the last couple of years :shock: My dad's went less than a year after I changed his cambelt - it looked fine when I put it back on, but apparently it failed quite spectacularly...
-Replace front bumper (massive crack in mine)
-Fix the passenger seat (just keeps clicking over and over and draining the battery)
-Fix the drivers seat handle (seat doesn't fold back)
-Replace the satnav/computer screen as it's damaged
You didn't notice these before handing over the money? :shock: Even on ebay, you can walk away from a purchase if the item's significantly not as described.

Speak to this guy:
http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/ade1122
He runs a breakers yard pretty much exclusively for 406s - mostly coupés - based in Chesterfield (if you're close you can pop round and save postage). He'll have pretty much whatever you want.
-Fix my squeeky brembos
Haha good luck with that - squealing's inevitable with those things. Better off selling the Brembos and putting some bog standard Lucas callipers on. The Brembos are more effort than they're worth, and really not nice.
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
zowow

Post by zowow »

Haha cheers guys - sounds like stuff I don't really want to hear haha :)

To be fair it was actually a dealer and I did check it over - I thought the crank pulley was a heatshield rattle as it only made the noise between 2-3k so I thought nothing much of it - as for the electrics, I sorted 99% of that because there was a fuse that powered another set of fuses that had blown - I've replaced that and it's okay now and has been for a couple of weeks

I knew there were a few what I thought were small issues, but overall it looked quite smart and I did knock a lot of money off the asking price and also part exchanged an old 306 too. I thought I was getting a mega bargain at the time, but it's turned out to be a sorta, okay deal lol.

To be fair I wanted the cambelt done and the guy didn't charge me any extra to do the crank pulley.

It was very almost a Passat TDI, but I've always liked these cars and I don't mind spending a few quid getting it up to scratch. The FAP/DPF problem needs sorting immenantly though as it's now switched to URGENT - Clean Filter as well as the Low Gasoil Additive message!

I'll check out the other site though :)
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Hi James and welcome to the forum. 8)

If you can lay your hands on a Galletto, (& a hammer for the FAP) :lol: , I can help you with the rest. PM me if interested.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Hi mate, welcome to the forum.
I would definitely join the 406coupe club too, thats where I got in touch with a chap to ' de-fap' my 2.2Hdi Estate. Also removed the EGR valve at the same time - this is just a choice thing though.
I drove from Bournemouth to Tewkesbury to have the work done by Finchy ( on the coupe forum ) and an absolute must for the 2.2Hdi. He used a jack-hammer for the fap..!!
Ade on the coupe club, and ebay, sold me the strut brace - perfect fit.
My estate now has the ' super-tractor' map on it, goes like the clappers but make me really really want to get better brakes.... :shock:
If you add your location to your profile, people know whether they can come to you for help.
P.S. Sat-nav screens are hard to find, maybe around £80 for a good one. Remotes are around £30 but I can sell you one for £25 including postage, if you want one, or just chat up a club member to bring one instead just to sort the clock out.
Galletto is around £20 on eBay.
Nice car btw.

Doggy knows his stuff too...!!

This forum is great.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
V6Exec
3.0 24v

Post by V6Exec »

Another option for the sat nav screen is drop in a B type display and ditch the sat nav.

If you are having disk read errors then you will probably need to strip and clean the drive. I treated mine to that, plus a recalibration of the laser to make it work.
Remember - it only takes a few inches of water to drown a 406 don't make the same mistake I made! The V6 Exec is no more.

406 Coupe S HDi

PP2000 clone interface
Sonia406
3.0 24v

Post by Sonia406 »

Hello and welcome to the forum.
Another local-ish kind of person.

Sorry to hear about the long list of jobs one has to do :shock: but we have every faith in you, an extensive forum full of useful topics and even photos to help, plus lots of members here who have literally, taken apart their 406.... :D

Again welcome :)
'Miss Pug' Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Petrol 'Family' Estate.
6th December 2011 - November 2014
24th January 2017 - Current (I bought her back!)
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

V6Exec wrote:Another option for the sat nav screen is drop in a B type display and ditch the sat nav.
This is a seriously good option unless you've got money to burn. The oem satnav is terrible (and has rather out-of-date maps) compared to a tomtom (or a satnav app on your phone) and the displays are only so rare nowadays because they're all getting knackered and nobody wants to pay dealer prices to introduce new ones into circulation.

The non-satnav displays look a little less flashy, but they work well and are cheap to replace, although they only have one trip computer. They also don't require a remote.
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
zowow

Post by zowow »

mjb wrote:
V6Exec wrote:Another option for the sat nav screen is drop in a B type display and ditch the sat nav.
This is a seriously good option unless you've got money to burn. The oem satnav is terrible (and has rather out-of-date maps) compared to a tomtom (or a satnav app on your phone) and the displays are only so rare nowadays because they're all getting knackered and nobody wants to pay dealer prices to introduce new ones into circulation.

The non-satnav displays look a little less flashy, but they work well and are cheap to replace, although they only have one trip computer. They also don't require a remote.
Thanks! - All good advice here which helps - I'll take on board about the displays - I guess I'm one of those people who just likes to try and keep it factory.. although it is tempting to just ditch the sat nav (i like the idea of it telling me what street i'm on - sounds flashy to me).

If I go with the non-nav display is it factory fit and how do you set the clock? i guess theres buttons somewhere on it?

I shall keep you all posted with how I get on at least :)