Pulling Problems

Welcome to the 406 Owners Club (406oc.co.uk and pug406.co.uk). If you havn't registered, you can post in here, and find out what the site is all about!

Moderator: Moderators

nimmes123

Pulling Problems

Post by nimmes123 »

Hi,

I have a peugeot 406 2.0 hdi 110 bhp. When i'm driving it suddnley losses power, and after a while the power comes back.
When i losses the power i turn it off an on again then it's fine.

Can anyone help please
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Re: Pulling Problems

Post by Welly »

Puggy on here might be able advise best? :mrgreen:

It could be all sorts, is the engine light on? can you hear a loud wooshing sound under the bonnet?

You'd really need a code read first to see if any ECU faults are stored.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
nimmes123

Post by nimmes123 »

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. There's no engine light on no whoosing sounds under the bonnet.

I forgot to mention that when the car is idling the rev counter niddle moves down and up and the car seems like it's going to turn off but it doesen't.

Kind Regards

Nimmes123 :?
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Sounds like there's a problem with the engine's fueling and electronic control. The only place to start is to get the fault codes read and maybe just go about all the electrical connectors and fuses first to check they're all pushed fully home etc - maybe some work has been done recently and disturbed something?

Don't poke about with the electrics with the engine running!
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
nimmes123

Post by nimmes123 »

Hi,

Thanks for your swift reply, I'll start looking at the fueses etc.

But could it be the Mass Aif Flow Sensor? or the Throttle Accelerator Pontentiometer sensor?

Kind Regards

Nimmes123
Busman
3.0 24v

Post by Busman »

nimmes123 wrote:Hi,

Thanks for your swift reply, I'll start looking at the fueses etc.

But could it be the Mass Aif Flow Sensor? or the Throttle Accelerator Pontentiometer sensor?

Kind Regards

Nimmes123
Yes it could be either or both of those. Try and unplug the maf electrical connector, go for a drive and see if there is any difference.
I've had some success cleaning the tps. It's free to do and you might be lucky.
1999 HDI 110 GLX Estate Sold On at 230,000 miles to the lucky John
2003 HDI 110 Rapier Estate
1998 D8 1.9XUD Estate LX 7 seater Estate sold, with regret
1999 306 1.8 petrol.
nimmes123

Post by nimmes123 »

Hi,

Thanks busman i'll try that on the weekend and see whats happens.

Cheerz
hammerman
2.0 Turbo

Post by hammerman »

Hi and welcome :) Check out my topic about my 110 hdi hesitating.Could be the maf.When I unpluged the conector,the car felt better,but it still played up a touch.But with my new maf sensor its been faultless all week & I do 75 miles a day.viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20272
2003 Hdi Est SE
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

Hi & welcome :) ,
Hope you get to the bottom of your prob, does sound like your maf but if that fails get your codes read.
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
nimmes123

Post by nimmes123 »

Hi,

Thanks guy's (Hammerman and DirtyDirty diesel) I'll disconnect the connector of the MAF and see what happenes.

Cheerz guy's
nimmes123

Post by nimmes123 »

Hi, Guys

On the weekend i disconnected the MAF sensor(from the connector) and had no luck. swaped the pontimeter throttle sensor from another pug, but no luck either although mines 110bhp and swaped it with 90bhp. So today i put it on a scanner and the following codes came up.

PO380-pre heated relay curcuit
PO110-intake air temprature signal
PO100-flow sensor signal.

Can anybody help and explain what these codes are and if i replace all these thing will car be 100% again.

Cheerz
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

nimmes123 wrote:PO380-pre heated relay curcuit
Problem with (possibly?) the low-current side of the glowplug relay... No effect in this weather
PO110-intake air temprature signal
Problem with the temperature sensor somewhere in the air intake pipework - pre turbo. This could cause slight problems
PO100-flow sensor signal.
Problem with the MAF circuit. Can cause more substantial running problems
if i replace all these thing will car be 100% again.
Safest for your wallet to assume not. The thing with electronic diagnostic stuff is usually it doesn't tell you when the fault occurred, if it's still occurring, or if it's intermittent. You need to clear the faults, see if any immediately spring back, then get the problem to happen again and then read the faults to see if there's anything new there.

Otherwise you'll end up needlessly replacing stuff that once had a hiccup over 10 years ago but has worked fine ever since.

TBH, with a rough idle, it sounds more like it might be a fuelling problem, perhaps a blockage or a dying pump? I'm no expert with diesels though...
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
nimmes123

Post by nimmes123 »

Hi, MJB

Thank you for your swift reply. When you say there could be a problem with the air intake pipework? Are you referring to the pipes that go out from the fuel filter housing? And any pipe from the turbo?

The rough iding is intermittent it comes and goes.

When you say a dying pump which one the fuel pump or the scavenger pump?

Kind Regards

Nimmes123
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

nimmes123 wrote:When you say there could be a problem with the air intake pipework? Are you referring to the pipes that go out from the fuel filter housing? And any pipe from the turbo?
I said the temperature sensor, not the pipework. The sensor is (probably - not a diesel expert) attached to the engine air intake *somewhere* between the turbo and the passenger wheelarch. On the petrol V6, it's in the rear of the air filter box. Of course this is just a suggestion, as OBD fault codes are very generic due to their cross-manufacturer nature compared to dedicated Peugeot diagnostics (PP2000)
When you say a dying pump which one the fuel pump or the scavenger pump?
I don't know what you mean by scavenger pump. What I mean is it sounds like there could be a problem *somewhere* between the tank and the injectors. Very vague I know, but I'm just throwing wild guesses around in this instance
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

IAT and MAF are combined, (one item), fits between the air filter and the flexy to the turbo. [/2d worth]
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)