Newbie - Hi

Welcome to the 406 Owners Club (406oc.co.uk and pug406.co.uk). If you havn't registered, you can post in here, and find out what the site is all about!

Moderator: Moderators

liquid

Newbie - Hi

Post by liquid »

Hi,

New to the forum, just to say hello!

After many years of owning a Saxo VTR, I bought a 406 Hdi (110) from a local garage in October.

I was keen on a 3-series, but the 406s were well recommended to me and I wasn't too keen on the dodgy image 3-series are starting to get as well.

Anyway, enjoyed the car so far (TBH I think it's better performance wise than the VTR)

Just thought I'd register to get help & assistance if required!
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Welcome fella!

That's a bit of a change, a VTR to a HDi :cheesy: good choice though. Funny when you drive the HDi it doesn't 'feel' that fast, but when you look at the speedo :shock: you pick up speed effortlessly.

What do you mean about the 3 series image? I suppose the older 'cheap as chips' E36's are bought by chav's wanting a 'BM'.

The newer E46's, I'm not sure, you would either look like you were showing off, or look like a a pimp/drug dealer? what do you think?

I bought a E36 Compact 318tds on a 'S' reg last year for her indoors. I think I am right in thinking that you 'get away' with any image issues with the Compact because it's not like you are trying to shove it in anyone's face, they don't do 'top spec' Compacts it's just a simple, well made hatchback.

You should find this place really good, and we have a good crack too so look out for that.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
liquid

Post by liquid »

Welton wrote:
That's a bit of a change, a VTR to a HDi :cheesy: good choice though. Funny when you drive the HDi it doesn't 'feel' that fast, but when you look at the speedo :shock: you pick up speed effortlessly.

What do you mean about the 3 series image? I suppose the older 'cheap as chips' E36's are bought by chav's wanting a 'BM'.

The newer E46's, I'm not sure, you would either look like you were showing off, or look like a a pimp/drug dealer? what do you think?
Tell me about it, it's a huge change!

Funny you should say that, the HDi is so smooth and quiet, whilst the VTR is like a go-kart!
Yeah, you're going along down a A-road in the HDi and it feels slow, until you see the speedo and it's going at least a good 10mph quicker than I would dare in the Saxo!

The HDi is also superb for overtaking, compared to the VTR.

TBH, I haven't got anything against the 3-series as they are a superb car, it's just the way they seem to be becoming the Burberry of the car world.

I would have liked an e36, but when the one of the 'shop lot' from the precinct buys a 316, it kind of takes the coolness off them a bit
(The 'shop lot' are bunch of chavs who hang round the concrete shopping precinct in a nearby village, erfect example of the word chav!)

I love the e46, and the 6-pot e46 is getting temptingly cheap, but there again all the local show-offs that I know have gone and bought them.

Am I being stupid for going off 3-series for that reason? Nah, because I think my 406 is great! :D
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

liquid wrote:Am I being stupid for going off 3-series for that reason?
I know it was a rhetorical question, but no. There's a lot to be said for driving a car like a 406 as opposed to a burberry car when it comes to your likelihood of being pulled by a copper having a bad day :)