New circumstance but sticking to what I knew....

Welcome to the 406 Owners Club (406oc.co.uk and pug406.co.uk). If you havn't registered, you can post in here, and find out what the site is all about!

Moderator: Moderators

Hammondo
1.8 8v

New circumstance but sticking to what I knew....

Post by Hammondo »

Hi all,

Having been in company cars since I was 18 (so a good few years) I have embarked on the adventure of self employment. Needing a workhorse which will take the miles and not be too bad on economy, I looked and looked and looked and then uncovered a gem.

In the early 00's I worked for a Peugeot dealer as a sales bod. I loved pugs back then, and being the young man of the sales team and having no kids etc, I always got the exciting demonstrators (normally of the small Gti variety). One day I sold my 206 GTi (full SP kit in Firedance. W151VAV if it still lives!) and for a reason I still don't know to this day, my guvnor asked if I fancied the 406 SRi 2.2 petrol estate that was in the showroom as a demo. Having picked myself off the floor (I was 20 at the time and this was a proper big boys car!) I said yes and ran and loved the car and had 3 or 4 further 406's after it.

So fast forward 13 years and looking for a cheap gem, and having looked at Mondeos, vectras, even an alfa 156 (basically anything close by, diesel and less than £2k) a 406 appeared on Autotrader at a local used car place. 2002 110 GLX HDi saloon in china blue. 108k miles for £1299. I got down there pretty sharpish.

To cut a long story short, it's a proper proper thing. 3 owners (Peugeot management car, company owner for 3 years and then the last owner for 7 years). Full history, stamped books, receipts, mot's. The works. The clutch feels a bit high, but from memory they are on French cars? The gear linkage feels a bit sloppy (but I have come from a 320d company car) but it drives really well, bringing back lots of memories! And best thing is they took £1100 for it! (Taxed until April, mot until October 14!)

So some quick brain picks if you would be so kind!

Stereo - I need bluetooth and would like ipod connectivity. Is there a sensible way to do this without replacing the clarion head unit?

Wheels - it has what I would call the 'fan' style 15 inch wheels which I thought were D8 spec, or is this right? (I don't care, the tyres are good, I'm just curious!) I thought D9 had 16's?

Temperature sensor - in car display currently reading -5c. Assume a dodge sensor. Where is it located and is it an easy replace?

Front fog lights - they work but are almost a milky white colour. Knackered or able to be taken apart and cleaned (again, not bothered but would clean if they can be!)

Anyway, just wanted to say hello and get chatting. Any advice well appreciated (I've already used the knowledge base to get my CD player working!) as my love of Peugeots has been reborn!

Cheers

Paul
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Re: New circumstance but sticking to what I knew....

Post by Doggy »

Hi Paul & welcome aboard. 8)

Sounds a nice machine you've armed yourself with - post some pictures when you find your way around.

I'm not sure on bluetooth, ( have a Parrot for my simple phone, that works a treat, but getting something to work with the separate amp JBL set-up in an exec is not easy), you need to find exactly what system you have first......

16" wheels only appeared on coupes and the 'run out' D9 saloon/estate S & SE's models, maybe the odd rapier?

Temp sensor's in the passenger door mirror, (the 'tit' on the bottom). easy to swap, AFAIK

foggy foglights are all too common. :roll:
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Hi mate, welcome to the club.. 8)

+1 to what Doggy says, however I think you can plug in an adapter in the back of the Clarion - in the slot for the CD multi-changer which you may/may not have - which will accept an Mp3 player as an external audio supply.

The temp sensor is an easy fix, later D9s were 16" wheels but I have seen 19" fitted before so size not really an issue.

Milky fogs are the norm... :roll:

You've got yourself a decent motor, I hope it does you proud.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
jonsowman
3.0 24v

Post by jonsowman »

The other two have covered your questions so I'll just say hello & welcome :)

Oh and yes please to pics!
2002 V6 SE Coupé (210bhp) - (Aegean Blue)
2002 D9 2.2 HDi Exec Estate - Samarkand Blue
PM me for PP2000 diagnostics around Surrey
rwb
3.0 24v

Post by rwb »

Sounds like a good deal.

The "connects2" (others are available, I'm sure) and as far as I remember all it does is gives you an aux in.

For MP3s to be loaded from USB and bluetooth phone I think a new head unit is the best option. If you're lucky you might be able to get the radio stalk to work with it.

The gear change will feel sloppy to you :P

The fogs can be washed out through the bulb hole -- provided you don't have massive shovel hands.
Here's one of mine drying. It was better but not perfect. Maybe I didn't scrub hard enough.
Attachments
20130111_164440-1.jpg
(32.37 KiB) Downloaded 9 times

Current: 407 2.2 HDi 170 & C6 2.7 HDi.
Former: 406 1.9 TD; 406 HDi 90; 407 2.2 160; 307cc 180; 508 HDi 140.
Map of PeugeotForums users offering PP2k
Hammondo
1.8 8v

Post by Hammondo »

Thanks for the welcome chaps. Pics will follow but I'm mid clean at the moment...

I've found a device from xcarlink which seems to do all I need in terms of ipod and bluetooth. It's sound daft, but my OCD won't allow me to mess with the original look, as well as the display not working!

Looks like I will be cleaning the fogs then... How easy are they to remove?

Also I made the mistake of going back on Autotrader... 52 plate coupe HDi black, 116k miles, FSH local for £1675. Oh well.... I'm sure the fuel economy would have stunk anyway :)
Doggy

Post by Doggy »

Not yet tackled taking the fogs out, but you may be able to do a reasonable job by just removing the lampholders.
I mopped the set out on my last 406 like this, when it was new to me, then decided to let apathy take over. :oops:

Coupe sounds nice - a realistic average mpg figure is probably about 45 ish. Your 110 should be around 50, depending on how you drive.
MacWomble
1.8 16v

Post by MacWomble »

Hi Paul,

Just a quick word on the temp sensor. Mine was reading stupidly high for months, I assumed a faulty sensor and left it at that. However when I fitted a new battery last month the sensor immediately started reading correctly again. So either the new battery solved the problem or perhaps it was my disconnecting the electrical system that did it.
Perhaps before you go to the expense and trouble of fitting a new sensor that you try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes to see if that reboots the sensor.

Also I have had success polishing "misty" plastic headlights with G3 car polish.

Cheers,
MacWomble.
Silver 406 GLX Estate, 1998 2.1 12 valve. 302,000 miles and counting.
White Renault 5 GT Turbo, 1991 58,000 miles, all original, mint condition.
Doggy

Post by Doggy »

Agree with above, but watch how you go about disconnecting the battery: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13431
davew
2.0 16v

Post by davew »

mine was like that when i bought the car, replaced it with this, just cut the wires and solder together nice easy fix, you just need to remove the passenger side mirror glass to gain access.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NTS-PEUGEOT-2 ... 257e09d5d0
MacWomble
1.8 16v

Post by MacWomble »

Good grief Doggy - all that, just to remove the battery !
Might be quicker to replace the sensor after all !
MacWomble.
Silver 406 GLX Estate, 1998 2.1 12 valve. 302,000 miles and counting.
White Renault 5 GT Turbo, 1991 58,000 miles, all original, mint condition.
Hammondo
1.8 8v

Post by Hammondo »

Thanks for the advice chaps. The car was stood for a couple of weeks before I started using it and was a bit lazy to start with on start up. Maybe this has not helped the sensor, as I'm sure I would have noticed it when I bought it!

With disconnecting the battery, I assume my clarion radio will be coded? (If it is, I don't have it!)

And as way of update of how helpful this site has been so far in how to do/diagnose the below...

CD player lens cleaned and CD player working again

Knackered MAF sensor diagnosed (wasn't sure if it was right not pulling til past 2k revs, but I now know it isn't! Tried cleaning but the wire bits inside are broken. New one ordered)

Suspected rocked cover gasket leak proved to be oil from the air doser which is now cleaned and lovely. Also the vacuum pipe on the bottom had become disconnected, and was full of gunk anyway if it had have been connected!

Next jobs are foglights and I'm going to treat it to some new number plates (original caffyns dealer plates looking very worn) and sort out the rust spot on the leading edge of the bonnet which is a stonechip left undealt with which is now a bubble!

My MK1 MX5 is sat on the drive looking all envious as that normally gets the weekend attention!

Also, what's the best way to upload images to here?

Cheers

Paul
rwb
3.0 24v

Post by rwb »

Sounds like progress :D

The radio is paired to the BSI; they only need coding if you move the radio to a different car, and 'coding' means using PP2000 to put the VIN into the radio. (Earlier cars are different.)

Current: 407 2.2 HDi 170 & C6 2.7 HDi.
Former: 406 1.9 TD; 406 HDi 90; 407 2.2 160; 307cc 180; 508 HDi 140.
Map of PeugeotForums users offering PP2k
Hammondo
1.8 8v

Post by Hammondo »

Handy to know! Had read various things about the radios but can disconnect it in confidence now!

Roll on getting MAF sensor tomorrow. It flew with it disconnected!
Doggy

Post by Doggy »

Hammondo wrote:Also, what's the best way to upload images to here?
There may be more convenient ways nowadays, but most of use or used http://photobucket.com/