Hi everyone, new Peugeot owner here

Welcome to the 406 Owners Club (406oc.co.uk and pug406.co.uk). If you havn't registered, you can post in here, and find out what the site is all about!

Moderator: Moderators

clarkey1984
1.8 8v

Hi everyone, new Peugeot owner here

Post by clarkey1984 »

]Hello guys and gals, i have just bought my first peugeot, a silver 1996 P reg 406 2.1 TD LX, its not the cleanest and tidiest example and does have a few bits that need attention, mainly some dog poo esque welding thats not been painted over, but slarred with thick black grease instead :roll: plus a few knocks and scrapes, theres a dent in the drivers side rear quarter just above the wheel, the passengers side has a scratch all the way down it, and the door mirror is smashed, theres a tiny ding in the bootlid, the front bumper is cracked, and the fuel flap is a 2 man job as the spring has gone on the flap itself, but hey, for £250 and with 11 months MOT who's going to complain. :)

On the drive home i had a funny noise coming from the front, i presumed it was a grumbly wheel bearing and the tracking being out (it had both track rod ends replaced by the owner for the MOT) so imagine my surprise when i jacked the front up to check the bearing for play and discovered that the wheel bolts on both front wheels were loose, the drivers side were finger tight and as for the passengers side, well, they were a good 4 or 5 turns undone, if it werent for the wheel trims holding them in i swear the bolts would have fallen out and i would have lost a wheel :shock:

So far ive given it a clean inside and out as its spent its last few years of life at a house down the bottom of a muddy track, its come up quite well really, ive also replaced the 2 front tyres as the previous owner had (loosly!) fitted a pair of identical 15" steel wheels from a different pug on the front to get it through the MOT, but they were barely legal, and the incorrect tyre size, as you can see in the pictures, so it now has 195/65/15 all round, and not 195/60 on the front as before.

Its covered 208 thousand miles but appears to have been looked after fairly well mechanically, the engine starts first time every time and runs sweetly, and pulls very well, a small amount of engine noise and a puff of blue from the back on startup when its cold but its a diesel so more than expected, the brakes have had new pads all round and are spot on, the gearbox feels good, no notchy bad changes or clunks, clutch pedal is a little low but its fine, for a car thats not that far shy of a quarter million miles i think ive done pretty well, and the stereo setup is also pretty good too, a very crisp and clear sound, a previous owners spent some money here :)

I know there are individual sections for certain parts but while im here it seems logical to ask about the points i have all in one post...

Theres a clicky clunky noise from under the passenger side dash every few seconds all of the time the ignition is on, it sounds like the noise some cars make when you turn the heater from floor to vent or vent to screen etc, and im guessing it heater related as when i put it on the re-circulation setting the sound goes away, is this something thats common?

The fuel flap appears to have had a spring on the centre of the hinge originally as theres a partially snapped lug there, but no spring, is this an easy fix?

The front bumper has obviously taken an impact at some point as its cracked, and this has also pushed the fog light blanking covers all the way back past where they are supposed to sit, i imagine ill just need to go under the front and push them back into place again, or failing that go scrapyard hunting for a set of fogs, but on an LX model will these just plug in, is the wiring already there?

It has black wing mirros at the moment and the passenger one is smashed, the cowlings taken a hammering and the glass is shattered, although i can still see out of it, its intact but in several bits, do they come with colour coded cowels on the early ones or is it only the facelift ones, and if the latter, will mirrors off a newer one be a direct swap?

And lastly, the oil is very black indeed, so i want to give it an oil and filter change ASAP, but im not sure whats the best oil to use, mineral, semi synthetic, fully synthetic, and also what grade, 10w/40 or something, are there any specific brands that are better etc, as ive not owned diesels before and obviously want to pick the best one for the engine as i can, and also, how much does this engine hold, as on googling i couldnt find the information.

Many thanks in advance, Dan :)

pug1.jpg
(93.55 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
pug2.jpg
(126.8 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
pug3.jpg
(117.51 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
pug4.jpg
(61.84 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
pug5.jpg
(86.31 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
pug6.jpg
(85.73 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
pug7.jpg
(84.34 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
clarkey1984
1.8 8v

Re: Hi everyone, new Peugeot owner here

Post by clarkey1984 »

Oh yeah, i also forgot to add that just to the right under the steering wheel is a little hidey hole that has one of those immobilizer keypad things for entering a code to start the car, which im presuming is either disabled or doesnt work as i only found it a few days after i got it and ive not had to put a code in, should this be working?
gumby6371
3.0 24v

Post by gumby6371 »

Hi Dan, welcome to the forum,

Not a show car but not bad at all for £250!!! be aware that you may only have another 100,000 miles in that engine :cheesy:

The recirc flap is located above the blower behind the glove box, remove the pollen filter and you'll be able to see it in operation. Pop the bonnet and remove the small nut that holds the plastic trim just below the windscreen, filter is far right as you look at the car, remove that and you're staring at the recirc flap. If it's behaving oddly remove the glove box for access to check the wiring, about 6 screws and its off. I have a Halfords flexi screwdriver which is particularly useful for jobs like that but not essential.

Fuel flap is really simple to fix, get a spring from a clothes peg and push it onto the pin that holds the flap, if you lever the pin upwards a few mm just slide it on the bottom of the pin. It will give just enough push to open the flap when you pull the release.

Colour coded mirrors were on GLX upwards I believe, tour the scrap yards for replacements, the whole mirror comes off with 2 torx screws, if you can't get the same colour just rattle can the cowling. The main body is black on all models so its only the cowlings you need to spray.

Fog wiring is usually there but you will need to change the stalks so make sure you get it all, don't forget you may not have dash bulbs for front fogs so you'd need to pop one in for the next MoT.

I used 10/40 semi synth in my 1.9 on a 6000 mile or 12 month interval, do the fuel filter at the same time but make sure you prime the system properly after. Shout for advice when you're ready to do the job and I'll give you a walk through.

Enjoy and never be afraid to ask, plenty of advice on here.

Gareth
1996 1.9 TD LX (Gone but not forgotten)
2003 2.2 HDI SE
jonsowman
3.0 24v

Post by jonsowman »

Hi and welcome Dan, sounds like a great car for £250, and 208k miles really is nothing!

Gareth's advice is all spot on, I've nothing more to add! :cheesy:
2002 V6 SE Coupé (210bhp) - (Aegean Blue)
2002 D9 2.2 HDi Exec Estate - Samarkand Blue
PM me for PP2000 diagnostics around Surrey
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Hi and welcome.

The only thing I can add is the recirculation motor has only plastic teeth which can break, so the motor is working but the flap isn't....!

Mine was jammed solid, so I simply removed my pollen filter - removed the flap altogether ( well, smashed it in ) and put the filter back on. I don't think my car had any fresh air in for the last 10 years judging by the ex-taxi smell..... :frown: All good now though.

You've got a good solid car with minor niggles that a bit of time and effort will sort out.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

Welcome on in Dan,
Nothing to add really, some of the D8 2.1 ex owners of, have all ready replyed 8) .
As others have said just ask theres a wealth of information on here :cheesy:
Last edited by dirtydirtydiesel on Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
gumby6371
3.0 24v

Post by gumby6371 »

The keypads are problematic as the fine wires can break and its a major job to trace the problem, they are easily bypassed by starting the engine (when its still working obviously) and pulling the plug from behind the keypad. The car will then see it as permanently enabled even when the battery is pulled.
As you don't have the code anyway I'd leave well alone, it means you have no immobiliser but how desirable is a 16 year old diesel to your local car thief?
It never worked on my first 406 and only worked with the keypad held at certain angles on my last one so I disconnected that, lost count of the amount of times I forgot to lock it or even left the keys in the ignition on the drive :oops:
Good job my 53 plate beeps at me when I open the door is all I can say
2003 2.2 HDI SE
clarkey1984
1.8 8v

Post by clarkey1984 »

Thanks guys, you've been very helpful :)

The first job I need to attack is the hideous welding, it's functional, but looks dog rough, I'll get my mate to weld around the bird poo attempts so it's an actual full seam weld then flap disc It all nice and flat and respray the sill, then once I have a bit more cash available ill do the oil and fuel filters and probably the air filter too for good measure, it can't hurt :)
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Good stuff, keep us posted. :)

...and a belated welcome aboard Dan. 8)
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
clarkey1984
1.8 8v

Post by clarkey1984 »

Cheers :)

The recirc valve thing sounds like my problem, as when on recirc theres no clicking, my guess is as you say that the clicking is it trying to open a valve that is stuck.

Id actually forgotten a few other points in my original post, the towbar backplate has rotted away and the light connector plug has been taped up as theres nothing left to bolt it to, a new backplate turned up today that i ordered off ebay for the bargain price of £2.30 with free postage, ill be breaking out the 24mm spanners tomorrow, ill soak the bolts in WD40 tonight to give me a better chance of getting them to shift, ill shoot to wilkos or somewhere and grab a rattle can of satin black before i start so i can sand and respray the bumper guard piece as its starting to flake, may as well make it all look nice and spanky :)

I will also be investigating the CD player as at the moment it stays on all the time unless you manually power it off, my guess from experience on older vauxhalls is that ill need to swap the permanent live and ignition live round to sort it, as i can see me leaving it on and flattening the battery.

And theres the battery, it starts the car fine, but it doesnt really turn her over all that quickly, and on looking at it, its much smaller in size than id expect a battery on a big diesel to be, the battery that was on my old e46 320d BMW was really wide, nearly twice as wide as it is long, this seems to have the sort of size battery youd expect to find on a fiesta or something and theres loads of space in the battery tray so it looks like it should house something a fair bit bigger, although i think my dad has a nearly new big battery to suit his 2.0 HDi xantia which he bought in error for his car when his alternator had gone so i may have to have an extended loan of it :D
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

The diesel engines need a bigger battery in general - there are a few deals around at the moment so try to bag yourself an '096' battery, more grunt than a standard one....
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
gumby6371
3.0 24v

Post by gumby6371 »

I'd say your bang on with the cd player not powering down.
If you look at the cabin fuse panel (by your right knee behind the keypad) there are 2 2-position fuses, 1 for stereo and 1 for the fag lighter, not sure which fuse is which but shouldn't take long to work it out.
Should stop the cd player staying on unless someone has butchered the loom for some reason.
2003 2.2 HDI SE
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

GingerMagic wrote:The diesel engines need a bigger battery in general - there are a few deals around at the moment so try to bag yourself an '096' battery, more grunt than a standard one....

096 is £43.02p plus vat from the Peugeot trade club right now =£51.60p including vat.
clarkey1984
1.8 8v

Post by clarkey1984 »

Yeah the stereo thing is familiar from having to have red to yellow and yellow to red on old novas because vauxhall ISO connectors are wrong :p and I thought that was the case with the battery, the one that's on there looks about 085 size, thanks for the info on the deal, I'll check it out :)