Welcome to the 406 Owners Club (406oc.co.uk and pug406.co.uk). If you havn't registered, you can post in here, and find out what the site is all about!

Moderator: Moderators

v8will

Post by v8will »

Hi All

I'm not new to Peugeot having previously owned a 106 1.1, 306 1.9d and a 406 2.0 executive over the years.

Anyway, I picked up a cheap 406 1.9td estate a few months back to use as a daily smoker, I have a Toyota Mr2 for weekend use as well.

I'm it's 4th owner and although the mileage is low(ish) at 136K the car will need a few odds and ends for MOT no doubt. I may even look at some basic detailing as well, at the moment it looks good at a distance but is absolutely filthy close up and has plenty of scratches etc.

For now...
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Re: New member

Post by Doggy »

Hi and welcome aboard. 8)
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
jonsowman
3.0 24v

Post by jonsowman »

Hello and welcome to the forum :D
2002 V6 SE Coupé (210bhp) - (Aegean Blue)
2002 D9 2.2 HDi Exec Estate - Samarkand Blue
PM me for PP2000 diagnostics around Surrey
rwb
3.0 24v

Post by rwb »

Hi & welcome.

I get more pleasure out of using it than cleaning it, but it's amazing what a glaze and wax will do.

Current: 407 2.2 HDi 170 & C6 2.7 HDi.
Former: 406 1.9 TD; 406 HDi 90; 407 2.2 160; 307cc 180; 508 HDi 140.
Map of PeugeotForums users offering PP2k
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

Welcome on in Will 8) , a 1.9td so veg oil is it :wink:
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
Ares
3.0 24v

Post by Ares »

welcome to the show :D
v8will

Post by v8will »

dirtydirtydiesel wrote:Welcome on in Will 8) , a 1.9td so veg oil is it :wink:

Possibly, need to explore this further as I've never run a car on it. Mother in Law works in a chippie too...
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

gumby6371 should be along soon,
He know's quite a bit about runing these on veg oil. :cheesy:
I.I.R.C you just need to make sure it's well filtered first & change you fuel filters very often to start with .
You might want to mix in a very small amount of petrol :? , just be carefull how much. 8)
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
gumby6371
3.0 24v

Post by gumby6371 »

Welcome in mate,

As DDD said I ran my old 1.9 on veg for a long time with zero problems but I only ever used new oil, preferably sunflower as its a little thinner than normal veg and is currently £9 for 10 litres in tesco. If you use the waste stuff you'll need to filter it really well and I could never be bothered.

I'd reccomend running it for a month or 2 on diesel to get an idea what sort of condition the engine is in, my non-aircon saloon gave 37 MPG round town comfortably, the estate is a little heavier and if you have aircon I'd expect 34/35 from a cared for motor if you have a reasonably heavy foot like me. Not sure what to expect if you do more long runs as mine was mainly town stuff.

ideally a full oil and filter change to start with (veg or no veg) and keep a spare fuel filter or 2 to capture any crap dredged from your tank, I was lucky and the fuel filter never blocked up but I gave it regularly doses of forte diesel cleaner as I got it free from work.

Give me a shout if you decide to go the veg route and I'll advise you more, personally I never used a thinning agent such as petrol other than mixing veg with pump diesel, others may advise it but for me its an unneccesary risk.

A good 1.9 will still light the tyres up and give most things a run for their money at the lights, I used to enjoy surprising the odd BMW driver from a standing start :D
1996 1.9 TD LX (Gone but not forgotten)
2003 2.2 HDI SE
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

Welcome to the club

I am a fairly new member myself but have been running Citroen and Peugeot diesels for about 30 years.

Peter
v8will

Post by v8will »

gumby6371 wrote:Welcome in mate,

As DDD said I ran my old 1.9 on veg for a long time with zero problems but I only ever used new oil, preferably sunflower as its a little thinner than normal veg and is currently £9 for 10 litres in tesco. If you use the waste stuff you'll need to filter it really well and I could never be bothered.

I'd reccomend running it for a month or 2 on diesel to get an idea what sort of condition the engine is in, my non-aircon saloon gave 37 MPG round town comfortably, the estate is a little heavier and if you have aircon I'd expect 34/35 from a cared for motor if you have a reasonably heavy foot like me. Not sure what to expect if you do more long runs as mine was mainly town stuff.

ideally a full oil and filter change to start with (veg or no veg) and keep a spare fuel filter or 2 to capture any crap dredged from your tank, I was lucky and the fuel filter never blocked up but I gave it regularly doses of forte diesel cleaner as I got it free from work.

Give me a shout if you decide to go the veg route and I'll advise you more, personally I never used a thinning agent such as petrol other than mixing veg with pump diesel, others may advise it but for me its an unneccesary risk.

A good 1.9 will still light the tyres up and give most things a run for their money at the lights, I used to enjoy surprising the odd BMW driver from a standing start :D
A little history on mine. I actually know the cars original owner who kept it from new until 2006. The next owner kept the car for the following 8 years and unbeknown to me, servicing was carried out by my wifes uncle. The lady owner did spend money when required but the cars bodywork definitely has 'patina' So sorts of scores and grime, the drivers door is shocking to say the least! It was traded in against a new citroen and I picked it up cheap as an unloved, unwashed temporary car to see me through a few months while I looked for something else. Whilst waiting on the V5 I found the original log book in the glovebox and realised that I knew the car.

Mechanically the car seems good, I've logged about 3K since I bought it and there is recent history of timing belt, glow plugs, water hoses and a full new exhaust. It does however need a couple of things sorted (maybe front anti roll bar bushes, lower engine mount, fault with fan sorted). That aside it's driving pretty well, punts along nicely with all of 90BHP (last car was a Saab turbo, I've dropped well over 100BHP) and at a guess is doing maybe 40mpg without really trying. The AC even works :)

It's kinda handy having an estate about too, the diesel soundtrack is pure comedy compared to some of the modern stuff parked in my street though!

I'll maybe fire up a few photos if I decide to try and do something with the bodywork.

Gumby, fire me a message ref the veg oil :)