hello from bedfordshire

Welcome to the 406 Owners Club (406oc.co.uk and pug406.co.uk). If you havn't registered, you can post in here, and find out what the site is all about!

Moderator: Moderators

nath
1.6 8v

hello from bedfordshire

Post by nath »

Hi All

Would just like to say hello. I have owned my 406 estate for the last 6 years. Didn't really want it but went ahead with buying it as it was recommended by my father in law who is a mechanic and I must say I have never looked back. it is the basic model I think. Has front electric windows A/C remote locks and I think thats it as far as gadgets go. I have been thinking of buying a newer 406 and like the looks of the executive as it h as all the toys. I am after a 2003 or 4 if I can get one and wondered did they do a 2.2 in the exec? Also are there things to look out for problem wise

Before I venture off on my quest I also have another question. Have many members here gone onto a 407 and wished they had stuck with the 406. The reason I ask this is my father in law has just bought a 407 and I think he is regretting it. He has had a few niggles with the 407 and I think his general impression is it isnt as solid as the 406.

Anyhoo thanks for any advise and hints. I know my hunt will be hard as it seems the execs are few and far between especially it would seem down south. they all seem to be up north

Nath
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Re: hello from bedfordshire

Post by Welly »

Hello and some excellent questions there.

I don't know how old your current 406 is but some regard the early (pre 2000) models as being better due to their relative simplicity. The early models were designated as 'D8' ranging between 1996 and 2000 and the later face lift ones were D9 up to 2004.

The D9 has slightly more complex things; one of which is a COMMS indicator stalk which can give trouble. They also have slightly more complex wiring but this is not a problem if your interior stays nice and dry (top tip would be avoid a car with a Sunroof and these can leak and owners don't realise the damage going on under the carpeting).

The D9 also brought about the introduction of the HDi engine which has different driving characteristics; the power is delivered low in the rev range and doesn't feel as 'peaky' as the older turbo D's but this is no bad thing as coupled with good fuel economy, easy staring and quiet running the HDi's are better.

The 2.2 HDi is fairly complex but there's very good members here who know how to simplify and easily modify the unit to give the best of performance and reliability, it really is very simple to improve.

Switching to a 407 is a different kettle of fish; the 407's ride and handling is a lot different as is the interior. I've not really heard that moving to a 407 is a bad thing though, just different. The 406 is quite charming and a nice familiar place to flop into so many find it hard changing; I moved to a modern Volvo with a hard ride and found it quite difficult to accept at first.

I hope this helps but I'm sure others will contribute too.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

Hi Nath

Welcome to the forum. I have only been a 406 owner for about 4 years but I think they are probably the best car that Peugeot ever made. I have run Citreoen XM's for the last 15 years or so and they were superb but have eventually had to move to something newer. I have been dreading getting involved in the new technology but the 8 valve 2.0. Hdi engine must be the best one you can get, relatively simple, no DPF and they seem to go on forever. Mine has 230,000 miles on the clock, 40,000+ of which I have done, its given very little trouble, all of which I have been able to repair so far.

Unless you must have a newer car I would stick with the 406 if I were you, The fuel consumption is pretty well as good as the newer ones, I can get well over 60 mpg on a long journey driving gently which I always do and for models registered after March 01 the road tax is cheaper. The newer the cars get the more complicated they are and the more difficult to repair.

I also have a C5 with the same engine and transmission, it gives a more comfortable ride than the 406 but is not as nice to drive, I think they have the 406 just right, its better than the 405 but not quite as comfortable as the 404 I had many years ago :wink: that had the best column change of any car I have ever had.

Peter
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Hi Nath and welcome aboard. 8)

I'm on my second 2.2 HDi exec estate, the first I had for 4 years / 85k miles, this one for 2 years / 47k so far. Both very reliable, probably the best cars I've owned (and I have had quite a few).

With the fairly simple mods welly hinted at, I'm getting 49/50 mpg on a regular basis and it can keep up with modern diesels without too much trouble. :wink:

They can be found if you're patient, see this recent thread about my bro's recent aquisition: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=22572

I've toyed with the 407 - it is the logical successor and is reasonably priced, but I'm very fond of the 406, so have got the most recent one I could find to put off the day when I have to change. I expect to run this one for another 2 or possibly 3 years.

There's a few pics of my current one here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19053&hilit=+new+dogmobile
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
nath
1.6 8v

Post by nath »

Thanks for all the replies guys, I am really struggling with this one. Not sure what to do at all. There is nothing wrong with my pug at all (99 lx estate) but I really fancy an executive as I am a sucker for leather and love the lights in the doors, the rear electric windows and the subtle little extras. I keep thinking just keep mine as it is just under 140k and should go on for much more but fancy something a bit newer. Its just itchy finger syndrome but am slowly losing to the urge to get a newer one. Also mine is getting a little tatty now from neglect on my part. Lots of rattly trim the are a multitude of dings from shopping trolleys and other careless drivers. I have seen two on ebay

one is in devon for £1200 for a 2002 executive, grey/blue colour which is what I have at moment and think it is the best colour, and there is a silver one in swaffam in norfolk.

ummmm what to do what to do
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

I keep watching what comes up for sale just in case something brilliant and cheap comes up but this one has been so reliable I am really loathed to part with it.

My experience of the 2.2 which I had in a C5 is that the fuel consumption is very poor compared with the 2.0. with a few exceptions 'Doggy' being one of them. I could never get more than about 50mpg out of mine and that was at a steady 60mph on a flat section on motorway and it averaged around 40mpg as opposed to well over 50mpg from the 2.0., I always get over 60mpg with the 2.0. on a long journey and managed nearly 68mpg coming back from Scotland on a hot day.

I would be very interested to hear why there is this fuel consumption discrepancy and why the odd one does much better.

Peter
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Hi Nath, welcome.

My first 406 was a Hdi90 estate, which I had for a couple of years. It was ace round town, frugal and reliable but I too decided to upgrade and went for a 2004 2.2Hdi Executive estate which I really, really liked and kept for a few years until its oil leak became too much to fix.

I now have a 2002 2.2Hdi GLX estate, which was a bargain and most of the wiring is in place for me to transfer the goodies from the Executive, including the leather. I get 45mpg round town which isn't as good as the other engine types but I have a big smile on my face when I leave some bloke in a 64 plate BMW behind me at the traffic lights... :lol:

Here is my current steed and the work I've done so far - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=22036

The 406 in Devon looks good, reasonable mileage and in good condition - I've been watching it on fleabay too.. :wink:

If you can afford it, I would go for it as its a beautiful colour, maybe haggle a bit as it has the DPF ( which can be sorted )

Kelv.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

I think there are lots of reasons why some HDi's are more economical than others; the way they were run in from new, the condition of the injectors and the type of fuel they've had through them, leaks in the eggsauce system and intake and whether they've had a dose of petrol at some point.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
nath
1.6 8v

Post by nath »

The one in Devon is too far away for me. As is the one in Kent (Autotrader) they are both lovely colours. The one is Kent is 100k miles so even more desirable. Trouble is I know nowt about cars or I would go and look myself but need someone to come and look with me so not many people fancy a four maybe five hour drive. I will wait and see what happens.

Nath
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

Where abouts in Devon is it? I'm on the eastern border. Used to live in Kent - doesn't help now of course.

Peter
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Maybe you could meet up with a forum member from Kent so you have someone with you that won't be wearing rose-tinted glasses.....
nath
1.6 8v

Post by nath »

Thanks for all the help guys, the one in Devon is gone now I think as is the one in worthing. Think the one in Kent is still there but still quite a way for me to go. Will keep looking and keep fingers crossed.
nath
1.6 8v

Post by nath »

Well I think I have maybe made my mind up or not. Am seriously considering this bad boy

[urlhttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-Peugeot-406-2-0 ... 3ceab9e3ee][/url]

not quite the colour I wanted neither is it an executive but it looks to be in very good order and mileage is pretty good and its not a million miles away from me and it has the all important leather seats.

A couple of questions though. Not driven an auto for years but really like the idea but how will it perform against my current 110bhp 406. Will it still have a bit of oomph. second question do you think the price is ok. I was hoping to get him to chuck in a new cam belt and full years mot for the price or should I take it as is if all is ok mechanically

Thanks for any help

Nath
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Apart from the tinted windows it looks quite nice - the interior is in very good condition.

Low mileage, nice colour ( :roll: ) good engine choice with just enought gadgets to keep you happy, but I can't comment on whether or not the autos are any good.

£1495 would be the most I would pay for this, even with a new cam-belt and MOT - its still a 12 year old automatic Peugeot...
nath wrote:not quite the colour I wanted neither is it an executive but it looks to be in very good order and mileage is pretty good and its not a million miles away from me
I'm getting a feeling of Deja-vu...
peugeot30v6
2.0 16v

Post by peugeot30v6 »

I really love my 2.2 hdi estate. As long as you get one with good maintenance history, you're set for many 1000's of miles
2002 Peugeot 406 V6 Auto Executive [95100miles]
2003 Peugeot 406 HDI 110 Executive Manual [157000miles]
2002 Volvo S60 2.0t Auto [287000miles]