Fuel Filler Flap light

Welcome to the 406 Owners Club (406oc.co.uk and pug406.co.uk). If you havn't registered, you can post in here, and find out what the site is all about!

Moderator: Moderators

christopherhamp

Fuel Filler Flap light

Post by christopherhamp »

Hi
I have just joined! I have just bought a Pug 406 HDI 2.2 Estate GLX. It is my sixth HDI Estate! I love 'em. This is my first 2.2 136 BBHP. I must cofess that it doesnt feel that much quicker than any of the others which have all been 2.0 110 BHP. Howeve this one only has 29,000 miles from new, so I had to have it, and was prepared to pay a little extra as it is immaculate. The only problem I have is that the Fuel filler flap light keeps coming on from time to time. I know I could disconnect it but would rather not. I also am aware that there might me an issue to do with some fluid which might be over produced because of it. I never heard of this before and it certainly didnt apply to my previous cars.
Can anyone advise what I should do? Also, does anyone know how much I should expect to pay to get the Cambelt replaced?
Thanks
Chris
Rolebama
2.0 Turbo

Re: Fuel Filler Flap light

Post by Rolebama »

I think the cost would depend on what kind of area your garage is in. Locally, they are up to £125 an hour labour, yet my daughter pays around £45 out in the sticks. For little extra cost, it would be worth having a new water pump and maybe crankshaft oil seal added in.
1998 2.1 GLX TD
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Hi & welcome aboard. 8)

29,000 miles is amazing - post some pictures when you get a chance. :mrgreen:

If the fuel filler warning light is going on and off, it can lead to excessive addition of DPF catalyst to the fuel tank, which can cause you problems.
I'm assuming you're not familiar with the diesel particale filter or FAP? Some info here http://www.citroenet.org.uk/passenger-c ... tech3.html

A healthy 2.2 should feel quicker than a 110, having 25% more power and torque, but can be a bit slow to respond below about 1600 RPM with all the original emission control stuff in place. With a little tinkering they can be transformed into something much more potent.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Hi, welcome to the club - 29,000 miles is what my old ex-taxi 406 did every year... :wink:

The fuel filler cap is connected to the ECU to determine if you are adding fuel, then the ECU will add some additive. However I believe there is a 'failsafe' part where at least a certain amount of diesel has to go in to be registered too.

I turned my sensor off using diagnostic equipment, I don't need a flashing light and an annoying beep to tell me the flap is open.... :evil:

There has been a kit on ebay for a while now, for £80 or so, which is a complete timing kit along with a Gates pump ( which I believe is a decent brand ). I might even get one myself.

As Doggy says, the over-complicated vacuum system, along with the DPF can be 'simplified' resulting in a car with better breathing, performance, reliability without compromising the economy too much.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
rwb
3.0 24v

Post by rwb »

Wow, that's quite a find.
Although what do you do to them to have got through six already?! :wink:
Are you going to try to keep this one standard or are you planning any of the usual improvements to the 2.2?

In case you don't know already: every time you remove the filler cap the fuel gets dosed with a fixed amount of additive, which is a catalyst that allows soot clogged in the DPF to be burned off at a lower temperature. Obviously the additive runs out after a fixed number of trips to the petrol station, but moreover the additive gets stuck in the DPF, isn't burnt off as part of the regen process, and eventually clogs the DPF.

The amount of additive left in the system and the amount of additive clogging the DPF are calculated by the additive ECU. When you refill the additive or replace the DPF these counters must be reset.

If you always fill the diesel tank to the top and then run it down to nearly empty then you minimise the rate at which the additive is used, and the rate at which it clogs the DPF.

Not long ago I scanned an 03-plate 607 with the same engine (unmodified) with 120k on it. It was out of additive and had 135g clogging the DPF. My 407 (different system but same principle) shows about 1600ml of additive remaining after 8 years and 92k, doses with about 8ml per fill, and shows 80g clogging the filter.

Current: 407 2.2 HDi 170 & C6 2.7 HDi.
Former: 406 1.9 TD; 406 HDi 90; 407 2.2 160; 307cc 180; 508 HDi 140.
Map of PeugeotForums users offering PP2k
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

I'm guessing the car needs a damn good Italian tune up! it must be coked up if its just been pottering around town all its life. Maybe the variable vanes on the Turbo aren't in good shape. It's all fixable though with little effort.

The 2.2 is needlessly complicated, I fear some owners would think the guys on here 'butcher' their cars and compromise things but this is not the case; there are some very knowledgeable and skilled Engineers on here who have found ways of improving the standard emissions systems to the benefit of reliability, cost and performance.

Good luck with the car.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
christopherhamp

Post by christopherhamp »

Sincere thanks to you all. I will take your advice to heart and, hopefully get it sorted. I will post some photos soon! in answer to the question about what do I do to them? Dont worry, I am not driving them into the ground, I simply keep my eyes open for a low mileage 406 and snap them up! Normally I drive them till they are on about 90,000 and then sell them, in good shape. The last one cost me about 3,000 and I sold it for 1,200 which is not bad for 60,000 miles of trouble-free driving!

I love these cars! Sadly, I doubt that I will ever get another with such low mileage. I also have a red Mark 1 on an X plate which has done only 70,000 which we use for dogs and logs. That one also runs like a dream and I guess I will drive it till it drops!
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Bear us in mind when you want to sell the new one on, but they don't fall apart at 90k. My two were bought at 103,000 and 88,000 respectively.
The first I put 85,000 on then sold - (it's till knocking about and on something like 230K now).
This one's just passed 140k and I'm thinking to keep it for another couple of years/ 40-50k.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)