Buyers guide

Welcome to the 406 Owners Club (406oc.co.uk and pug406.co.uk). If you havn't registered, you can post in here, and find out what the site is all about!

Moderator: Moderators

relhuk

Buyers guide

Post by relhuk »

Hello all ,newbie here.
Im 'this' far away from buying 53 2.0 HDI estate with 120k. Just wondered if there are any obvious things to check for....apart from a full service history, I have been reading that premature oil and fuel filter changes will be a good idea.
Any other '406' faults I should check for?
thanks in advance for any input.
annie
2.0 16v

Re: Buyers guide

Post by annie »

drop links front and rear.
rear track arms
crankshaft pulley noise
rear engine mounting
leaky door seals.. any damp carpets and run very fast

most common but others will have a better list
relhuk

Post by relhuk »

thank you. Im buying (possibly) with brand new 12 month mot so hopefully will all be checked re drop links etc.
I will check the other parts you pointed out
thanks again :?
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

The 2.0. Hdi is probably the best car you can buy and with that sort of mileage it will probably outlast many new cars. Mine has done 240k not out and I have never had a serious problem in the 50k + miles that I have had it. The engine and gearbox (manual) are pretty bombproof providing they have been maintained. Mine still has the original clutch and DMF. I was thinking of replacing mine with a newer one but it just keeps going. Driven with sympathy it could last 400k.

Peter
relhuk

Post by relhuk »

thank you Peter
heres to hoping so! :D
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

Hi & welcome to the madhouse :cheesy:
1st don't be put off if the clutch pedal seems high, there all like that :roll:
Just make sure on you road test that you stick it in forth at 1500 rpm & floor the throttle
If the clutch is worn the rev's should rise quicker than the car's speed is clutch slip.

2nd have a good look round for signs of rust, some are very good others not so, just don't believe this they don't rust
because some do. Seems to affect the 2002 onwards cars more ie the front of the bonnet (don't forget to check the underside) :frown:
3rd if it does strange things with the electrics this is more than likely the plugs under the carpet in the drivers footwear :shock:
Oh if the indicators turn on to left straight after indicating right this is also common but there are a few fix's :cheesy:
Lastly the rear brakes get neglected, handbrake's go weak & the back plates rot away.

Don't let any of this put you off though as Peter say's they are about the best value for money car out there
Just look for signs of a caring owner & check that everything works, unless your not to bothered or it's cheep
There are a lot of good cheep one's for sale at the moment & some with minor niggles that are quite easy to fix
if your good with your hands & have the knowledge :)

I am very happy with mine & have had it for 2 1/2 years & 25k now 8)
Hope this is of some help DDD.
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol: