GDPR

Welcome to the 406 Owners Club (406oc.co.uk and pug406.co.uk). If you havn't registered, you can post in here, and find out what the site is all about!

Moderator: Moderators

nick
Site Admin

GDPR

Post by nick »

Hello forum users and 406 owners!

There will be a GDPR email sent out as soon as possible, however this is to bring you up to speed regarding 406oc.co.uk and what’s happening in relation to the GDPR.

I’m not going to bore you with all the details, but in a nutshell GDPR regulations ensure that users personally identifiable information is safe, secure, protected, not misused and allows users are in control of their data.

406oc.co.uk has generally been quite lax when it comes to personal data and requesting it. I’ve noticed that the forum asks for a Date of Birth when signing up. This is the only piece of personally identifiable information that’s been collected by the forum. This isn’t a requirement when signing up and as such, there is no need to have it on the forum. Later on tonight I’ll manually erase each date of birth from the forum and it will be replaced with a standard date of 01/01/1970.

The GDPR regulations are designed for companies, and reading the legislation it looks like hobby forums like this aren’t included. We certainly don’t make nor ask for any money for the site and advertising hasn’t been used for years on here, but privacy and protections are important to the users here.

I’m on hand to ask any questions you folk have in relation to 406oc.co.uk and the GDPR.

Happy Foruming!

Nick
Thanks,
Nick
DaiRees wrote:I got the "premium" standard fit system in mine, 10 speakers, changer, JBL amp. I'm quite happy with it for listening to the radio / CDs or my "teach yourself Welsh" stuff on the way to work :lol:
mjb
Site Admin

Re: GDPR

Post by mjb »

nick wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 11:04 pm I’ve noticed that the forum asks for a Date of Birth when signing up. This is the only piece of personally identifiable information that’s been collected by the forum
You forgot userid, email, username, password, location, avatar, all those potential fields in 'edit profile', logged IP addresses and the contents of a hell of a lot of actual forum posts, and PMs. Even post times can be considered under scope since they can suggest a location or shift work

However having said that, the GDPR has a section allowing use of personal information for legitimate interests, under which you should consider (primarily, in this case), the data subject's reasonable expectations about the processing of his or her personal data. Which means as long as you're not data mining, or giving away access to the backend DB to third parties without explicitly getting consent from every use affected, it can easily be expected that someone putting data into a forum will have it used to - you know - make the forum work.

So GDPR is pretty much a non-issue here. The only potential issue would be with adverts, which is the reason many sites (like the LA times) have actually chosen to close their doors to European visitors.
Unfortunately, our website is currently unavailable in most European countries. We are engaged on the issue and committed to looking at options that support our full range of digital offerings to the EU market. We continue to identify technical compliance solutions that will provide all readers with our award-winning journalism.
They're trapped in contracts with advertisers who do do data mining and all those nasty things the GDPR prevents
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang